Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2013, 09:55   #4711
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post

Adoor -> Pathanapuram -> Punalur -> Tenkasi -> Tirumangalam -> Madurai -> Salem -> Bangalore

The route from Punalur-Tenkasi is not a problem except for some stretches of
the road in the town is narrow.

Tenkasi-Thirumangalam-Madurai is good but traffic is quite high.

I tried this route from Srivalliputtur-Sivakasi-Sattur the roads are good but
crossing Sivakasi town was difficult with narrow roads and through the market in the town.From Sattur took the N-S corridor which is four laned.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 10:07   #4712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose View Post
The major issue was Thrissur to Palakkad. He said that the road is very bad and some craters deep enough to cause real damage ! He felt tired after the ordeal and stopped at Comibatore for the break. The stretch after that is fine.
It aint all that bad. I think this was my best time so far in so many years (7.5 hours including break). As mentioned, atleast 20 kms of bad roads with huge potholes. I would say atleast 4-5 very huge potholes, rest all small potholes. The ride will be bumpy and uncomfortable for all. If you pass this stretch during odd hours, this would be perfect and no need for any diversions. My return journey during this stretch was in the evening and it was slow moving and really crowded. I also noticed some sections were patched up when I returned back but the huge potholes were still there.

If you traveling down, make a note of the huge crater in front of Hotel Diana. That one is really huge.
Old 5th January 2013, 17:58   #4713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose

The major issue was Thrissur to Palakkad. He said that the road is very bad and some craters deep enough to cause real damage ! He felt tired after the ordeal and stopped at Comibatore for the break. The stretch after that is fine.

When i used a cab recently, the driver suggested doing the Thrissur-Palakkad stretch via Ottapaalam. Not sure about the time that can be saved but is a defn stress free drive. it is longer by 25-30 kms.
Trichur-Kuthiran-Palakkad :Good and fast for day drive, slow and tiring on night.

Trichur-Shornur-Palakkad: Fast for night drive, slow and tiring during day time because of town traffic.
Old 6th January 2013, 00:04   #4714
Distinguished - BHPian

Just crash landed at CBE, driving from Pondicherry. Route followed was Pondicherry - villupuram- ulundurpet- chinnasalem- attur - salem - Cbe. The road work is still underway and I found it very difficult to navigate the diversions and roughened roads at night. I would not recommend this to anyone for journey by night. No street lights, no sign boards indicating clearly the diversions in roads, lot or potholes and extremely dangerous trucks and buses. The road at times diverts and curves into the service road by itself and no indication whatsoever. Once on a curve I landed up in the opposite traffic lane and was squarely staring at the blaring headlights of the opposite traffic.

My windows were completely rolled up. Else I would've been listening to songs with expletives
Old 6th January 2013, 10:12   #4715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose View Post
My Brother travelled from cochin to bangalore on Jan 2nd. Started at 4 am from cochin and reached electronic city by 1pm with a half an hour break in btw.

When i used a cab recently, the driver suggested doing the Thrissur-Palakkad stretch via Ottapaalam. Not sure about the time that can be saved but is a defn stress free drive. it is longer by 25-30 kms.
Thrissur to Palakkad via Ottapalam is around 83kms while Thrissur to Palakkad via Vadakancherry (NH 544) is around 66kms, difference of only 17kms. Friend of mine who used both the roads recently said it took almost the same time.
kannan666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 19:11   #4716
Distinguished - BHPian

Travelled from CBE to Chennai today. Though the route is out of the scope of the heading of this discussion, I am updating it here since Coimbatore - Chennai/ Bangalore is one hot topic of discussion.

The route followed was CBE- Salem- Krishnagiri- Chennai
CBE to Avinashi progress is still slow. There road is broken at many places with lot of diversions, but manageable. Does not warrant a diversion via Palladam/ Pollachi or the like. After Avinashi, the road has been laid well, but there are two or three diversions in between.

At Krishnagiri also there are flyovers being built and there are diversions. However, at Krishnagiri, the road surface is void of any potholes. Having travelled both the routes in the recent past, I feel this is a better option than the Attur- Ulundurpet route
Old 6th January 2013, 19:43   #4717
Senior - BHPian

Anyone traveled recently, how is the present road surface in Satyamangalam route compared to Salem route? Read somewhere recently about potholes in ghat section.

What would be the best road surface from Bangalore to Kochi as of now irrespective of time and distance?
Old 6th January 2013, 20:04   #4718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Thrissur to Palakkad via Ottapalam is around 83kms while Thrissur to Palakkad via Vadakancherry (NH 544) is around 66kms, difference of only 17kms. Friend of mine who used both the roads recently said it took almost the same time.
If you're travelling from Trichur town, those distances would probably be right. But when you're coming from Cochin, the Shoranur route is about 25 kms more. It's about 68 kms from Paliyekkara toll (beginning of Trichur byepass) to Chandranagar (end of Palghat byepass), whereas if you travel through Trichur Town and Shoranur, the distance is 93 kms between the same two points.

Not saying that the extra 8 kms would be the critical decider between the 2 routes. With an early morning start from Cochin, I'd still take the Shoranur route because I wouldn't want to risk the bad Kuthiran stretch in non-daylight hours.
Old 9th January 2013, 12:51   #4719
Senior - BHPian

How is the condition of the road via Chamravattom bridge now ? Have to travel from Calicut to Alwaye on Sunday and thinking of trying out the Chelari-Parappanangadi-Tanur-Tirur-Ponnani-Kodungallur-Paravoor-Alwaye route for a change.

Anyone travelled this way recently ?
Old 9th January 2013, 14:04   #4720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
How is the condition of the road via Chamravattom bridge now ? Have to travel from Calicut to Alwaye on Sunday and thinking of trying out the Chelari-Parappanangadi-Tanur-Tirur-Ponnani-Kodungallur-Paravoor-Alwaye route for a change.

Anyone travelled this way recently ?
Did travel the section from Calicut to BP Angadi (4 km beyond Tirur) on my recent visit. The Chelari-Parappanagadi-Tanur-Tirur is in great condition and very smooth. Tirur onwards it is a normal road surface and some widening works have been done till BP Angadi. Beyond that not very sure.

One issue with this route is that there is a deviation after Tanur because of the Railway overbridge construction at the gate in front of Devdhar School. The deviation will add 15-20 min to driving time and is a narrow road.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 16:10   #4721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
One issue with this route is that there is a deviation after Tanur because of the Railway overbridge construction at the gate in front of Devdhar School. The deviation will add 15-20 min to driving time and is a narrow road.
Rajiv, my wife's home falls on that deviation near Vattathani/devdar school. last time when I went there (November last week), the railway gate was open to cars and 2 wheelers. The approach road on either sides was in horrible shape, but that's just around 100 metres.
Old 9th January 2013, 18:56   #4722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Rajiv, my wife's home falls on that deviation near Vattathani/devdar school. last time when I went there (November last week), the railway gate was open to cars and 2 wheelers. The approach road on either sides was in horrible shape, but that's just around 100 metres.
Interesting... I came from Tirur to Calicut December end (pretty early morning) and I was diverted at Pookayil when I checked with some people there. Guess there was some work happening that day or I was misinformed
Old 9th January 2013, 19:13   #4723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Interesting... I came from Tirur to Calicut December end (pretty early morning) and I was diverted at Pookayil when I checked with some people there. Guess there was some work happening that day or I was misinformed
The barricades for diversions are still there at Pookkayil on Tirur side and Moolakkal junction on Tanur side, but cars and two wheelers are allowed to pass through straight. The road through which heavy vehicles are being diverted is in horrible condition as you would have experienced.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 16:46   #4724
BHPian

Hi All,
A query again,
of the two routes which would be faster
Adoor -> Pathanapuram -> Punalur -> Tenkasi -> Tirumangalam -> Madurai -> Salem -> Bangalore
OR
Adoor-> Kottayam -> Kumaly -> Theni -> Kodai Road -> dindigul -> Salem ->Bangalore
I plan to leave from adoor @ approximately 5:00 AM and would be taking one break at max between Adoor and Dindigul
Old 10th January 2013, 17:01   #4725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Hi All,
A query again,
Adoor-> Kottayam -> Kumaly -> Theni -> Kodai Road -> dindigul -> Salem ->Bangalore
I plan to leave from adoor @ approximately 5:00 AM and would be taking one break at max between Adoor and Dindigul
Can't you get to KK road at Kanjirapally via Ranni instead of Kottayam(unless you have work there)? Relaxed driving would be nearly 9 hrs from Kanjirapally.

I am not familiar with the other route as I don't have any reason to use it.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks