Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2011, 11:03   #3211
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post

Was that a Police Interceptor, or one from the Motor Vehicles Department? The Interceptors of the MVD would have a red band across its length, while the one from the Traffic Police would have a blue band.

MVD guys are usually behind trucks and buses, while Traffic Police guys prefer private cars. MVD guys usually target tipper lorries - they'd chase them and fine them!
Ye, it was the MVD one
Old 29th December 2011, 11:08   #3212
BHPian

Quote:
If you see a good road in Kerala, think atleast a dozen times before flooring the accelerator. The official speed limit for LMVs on highways in Kerala is 70kmph.

As a thumb rule, I try to, either follow the 70kmph limit or keep a look on police jeeps.

To remind all, if you see a good road in Kerala, don't floor the accelerator. Be cautious if you planning to go fast.
Police all over India are investing in speed radars and breath analyzers. You cannot blame then -- the returns earned are multiple times over the investment.

Strategy is quite easy to execute -- frustrate people with pot-holed roads for some time and then people are going to cross the often ridiculous speed limits of 50 or 60 kmph, in the next available well laid straight stretch.

Bangaloreans would vouch that it is kind of impossible to get pass Sony world junction in Koramangala, Bangalore after 9 pm, without a breath check.

Last edited by B103 : 29th December 2011 at 11:10.
Old 29th December 2011, 12:12   #3213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a thumb rule, I try to, either follow the 70kmph limit or keep a look on police jeeps.
I have seen police with radars multiple times on the Mannuthy bypass. There are spots on this road where you can see the traffic from 2-3km away and it's not at all easy to spot a police jeep especially if it's standing in the shade. You can't see them, but their radar can probably see you!

So, keeping to 70 is what I tend to do these days - maybe 80 if the road is clear. I think it's far easier than looking out for police jeeps
Old 29th December 2011, 12:37   #3214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky

So, keeping to 70 is what I tend to do these days - maybe 80 if the road is clear. I think it's far easier than looking out for police jeeps
Though speed limit is 70kmph, they mostly stop you only if you exceed 80. This was told to me by a relative working as a cpo in traffic police.
Saw police speed radar checking near SN puram in NH17, between Kodungalllur and thriprayar yesterday.

Planning to do a Thrissur - Adimaali trip on sunday morning starting from Tcr at 7AM. Wellcome route suggestion for good roads and to avoid traffic blocks please.
Old 29th December 2011, 13:29   #3215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Though speed limit is 70kmph, they mostly stop you only if you exceed 80. This was told to me by a relative working as a cpo in traffic police.
Saw police speed radar checking near SN puram in NH17, between Kodungalllur and thriprayar yesterday.

Planning to do a Thrissur - Adimaali trip on sunday morning starting from Tcr at 7AM. Wellcome route suggestion for good roads and to avoid traffic blocks please.
That may not be correct. they indeed are looking for speeding vehicles above 70kmph. I had such an experience, caught at 70kmph speed on Speedometer.
in 4 lane highways, may be they are a little lenient on the speeds?

the route from Thrissur to Adimaly has no alternative/parallel routes. Take left at Angamaly and reach Kothamangalam-NH49-Adimaly.

There is Huge Traffic Blocks at Kalady and generally heavy traffic between Angamaly and Perumbavoor. expect delay 30 minutes or more except for early morning?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2625306

Alternative- go straight to Aluva from Thrissur, Enter Aluva and turn for Perumbavoor road from there. but, it will add around 16kms.

Last edited by deepclutch : 29th December 2011 at 13:31.
Old 29th December 2011, 13:32   #3216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Check Trichur-Angamaly-Perumbavoor-Kothamangalam-Neryamangalam-Adimali-Munnar
Old 29th December 2011, 14:35   #3217
Team-BHP Support

Drove from Cochin to Bangalore yesterday. Terrible fog between Trichut and Palghat - add the remarkable ability of vehicles to see through the fog and be visible with one parking light and the ability of hazard warning lights to repel any collisions.

Palghat to Avaniashi is frustrating due to roadworks. After that, heavan!

Last edited by ajmat : 30th December 2011 at 09:09.
Old 29th December 2011, 15:19   #3218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Drove from Cochin to Bangalore yesterday. Terrible fog between Trichut and Palghat - add the remarkable ability of vehicles to see through the fog and be visible with one parking light and the ability of hazard warning lights to repel any collisions.
What time of the day was this fog?

Last edited by ajmat : 30th December 2011 at 09:09.
Old 29th December 2011, 22:30   #3219
BHPian

Just did a trip to munnar form blore couple of days before.
No problem in TN-KL border.
Old 30th December 2011, 09:09   #3220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
What time of the day was this fog?
Early morning between 6-8am
Old 30th December 2011, 17:10   #3221
BHPian

Quote:
I came to Bangalore via Kozhikode-Bathery - the traffic was awful due to road works. I do no want to go back via that route. Was thinking of the Gudalur-Vazhikadavu route instead.
Are the delays on the Thamarassery Ghat section due to road repairs still bad?

I was thinking about taking the Nilambur - Gudalur road on the way back (from Calicut), however there was a report of a 5 hour block on the Nadugani pass on Tuesday (27th) due to some protest. Have not heard of any further blocks on this route.

Does anybody have any update on these routes? Also, which route is advisable from Calicut to Nilambur?
Old 30th December 2011, 17:32   #3222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Early morning between 6-8am
I did the same route on Wednesday 28th Dec, fog was very thick and lasted after Kuthiran till L&T byepass except for few patches in between. Visibility was really bad and was there till 7.30, please be prepared if you plan to start ealry morning from Kerala
Old 30th December 2011, 21:52   #3223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidclt View Post

I was thinking about taking the Nilambur - Gudalur road on the way back (from Calicut), however there was a report of a 5 hour block on the Nadugani pass on Tuesday (27th) due to some protest. Have not heard of any further blocks on this route.

Does anybody have any update on these routes? Also, which route is advisable from Calicut to Nilambur?

I did Bangalore-Bathery-Kozhikode on 22nd and return on 25th. While going got stuck in a jam at the border for an hour and in the ghats for 20-30min total at different hair pin bends. While returning no blocks anywhere. So kind of depends on your luck also.

There are 3-4 hair pin bends where the roads are totally bad and hence causing jams, the actual tarring works had just crossed the 1st hairpin(from down below)

One thing I observed is that when returning from Calicut side, better to avoid hitting the ghat sections in the 7.30-9am time frame. Reason is that lot of traffic reaches the ghats at this time(including most of the private buses) after the forest border opens and hence higher probability of jams
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 10:58   #3224
BHPian

Quote:

Does anybody have any update on these routes?
Just returned on this route late last night - Ernakulam-Trichur-Kunnamkulam-Kottakkal-Manjeri-Nilambur-Gudalur-Mysore-Bangalore. Saw no signs of trouble in any of the affected areas. There were quite a few KL registered cars / trucks and even KeSRTC buses plying. Guess it is back to normal now.
Old 31st December 2011, 16:04   #3225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The traffic on Thamarassery route is horrible. Did Bangalore-Kodungallur via Bathery yesterday. I left Lakkidi around 11:30, and it was 12:50 by the time I reached Adivaram. They are blocking traffic at every hairpin bend.

All Roads to Kerala-img_2695.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
There are 3-4 hair pin bends where the roads are totally bad and hence causing jams, the actual tarring works had just crossed the 1st hairpin(from down below)
In a couple of them, the roads are inexistent now - the situation worsened over the past 5 days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
Just returned on this route late last night - Ernakulam-Trichur-Kunnamkulam-Kottakkal-Manjeri-Nilambur-Gudalur-Mysore-Bangalore. Saw no signs of trouble in any of the affected areas. There were quite a few KL registered cars / trucks and even KeSRTC buses plying. Guess it is back to normal now.
KeSRTC has resumed all interstate services to normalcy now. They are running trips without police protection now.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks