Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2014, 11:15   #7846
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
How is traffic on Annur-Coimbatore route ? Does this route take one to Ganapathy area in Coimbatore ?
Yes, it leads to Saravanampatty and they onto Ganapathy.

Made a trip from Coimbatore to Malappuram.

Section from Coimbatore to the Kerala border is a mess with improperly patched up roads. Section from Walayar to Palakad town is better except that one can find vehicles driving both ways on both sides of the median

Palakad to Malappuram roads are well surfaced and barring a few minor parts, a joy to drive.

The only fly in the ointment is the constant overtaking that is part of a undivided road.

Last edited by batterylow : 21st November 2014 at 11:21.
Old 21st November 2014, 11:32   #7847
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
The only fly in the ointment is the constant overtaking that is part of a undivided road.
The other option can be via Attapadi/Mannarkad. But of course you need to check forest road condition. But surely would be devoid of traffic.
Old 21st November 2014, 15:59   #7848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The other option can be via Attapadi/Mannarkad. But of course you need to check forest road condition. But surely would be devoid of traffic.
Less traffic - yes
Road condition - horrible

Did the same route a few months back and the ride was horrible to say the least.

Hence the normal route this time.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 22:16   #7849
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
I still have a doubt if Kerala police have issued a receipt for Rs. 300. The fine has not reduced, but arun josie might have been asked to pay a bribe. But, talking about the MV Sections, how many policemen know which section applies to which offence? All they know is, what offence and how much is the fine to be collected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
We will have to wait for Arun Josie to comment on that. Because only he can confirm that. And again that would be his opinion. I interpreted my way because he said, he asked for a receipt and the fine amount was reduced.
Here is the receipt. I just did a google search to find that 183 MV act is for speeding, even though the police had clearly mentioned that the violation is for not producing the insurance copy. I was not speeding as well in that stretch which was just after sequence of turns. Anyways, can't do much about this now.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-20141122_210406.jpg  

arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 22:25   #7850
Team-BHP Support

Surprisingly, the Kanjikode-Walayar 4-lane stretch seems to be good! We used to stick to the Velanthavalam-Puthussery route but this time we went via this route and everything seems to be in good shape except for a couple of stretches wherein flyover work is underway and we need to take a diversion. The toll booth work is also under progress and I am pretty sure, the 4-laning would be completed by the end of next year. Beautiful tarmac! Just like the Salem-Bangalore route. Since I visit home only twice or thrice a year, the differences are apparent during the first drive.

But all hell breaks loose the moment we cross the border and enter TN.

PS: KFC outlet would shortly be opening at the Chandranagar bypass right next to the McDonalds outlet.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd November 2014 at 22:28.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 22:31   #7851
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
PS: KFC outlet would shortly be opening at the Chandranagar bypass right next to the McDonalds outlet.
Your post reminded me of another KFC that is opening soon. This is at the Indian Oil outlet just after Thoppur toll, after A2B. Came to know this from the folks at Rajabhojanam (also inside Indian oil campus) when I enquired about the new building coming up next to theirs.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd November 2014 at 22:33.
Old 24th November 2014, 10:21   #7852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Here is the receipt. I just did a google search to find that 183 MV act is for speeding, even though the police had clearly mentioned that the violation is for not producing the insurance copy.
You can challenge this, but it is not worth the hassle. The SI seems to have just used a section (Sec. 183) and collected the fine. The only comfort we can have is that the money was not a bribe, and you have just helped the cash-starving, empty treasury state of Kerala. The SI would also be happy to inform in the next morning's roll call that he had charged nnn number of MV Petty cases and Rs.xxx was collected as the fine amount. Yes, they have internal revenue targets to meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo
Btw, we have to keep in mind that Rishiraj Singh has moved out of Transport Dept. So dont expect much rigour in the enforcement. I already hear that most of the speed cameras has stopped working in Kerala.
We can't fully feel happy about this . Kerala Police still has its higway police squads (42 of them) and the Interceptor Vehicles. MV Department also has a few interceptors but I don't see them very often. The state is making huge money by enforcing the Motor Vehicle laws. The treasury is pretty much empty and this is the only way the state can generate some revenue.

Last edited by sachinpk : 24th November 2014 at 10:35. Reason: Response to Vasoo added in.
Old 24th November 2014, 10:36   #7853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
they have internal revenue targets to meet.
Yes, it was more of an effort to meet their target. They didn't even have the speed gun to measure the speed.
Old 24th November 2014, 11:38   #7854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it was more of an effort to meet their target. They didn't even have the speed gun to measure the speed.
I have been caught twice for speeding in Kerala. One at PGT and other at CLT. In both cases the SI who was leading the squad was only happy to show me the equipments. In both cases I was doing 80+ on 70kmph territory.

The speed camera is attached to a laptop, and it also has a buffering facility. A police man at the back of the jeep operates the camera. Each image he clicks would have all the details (mainly the set speed limit and the vehicles speed). And this image is quickly saved in the laptop, and the camera is ready to snap the next picture . In both cases the police officers clearly said that they don't catch border line cases, because the machine has a tolerance factor (+5/-5 difference may be there). So on a 70kmph zone, they would let go vehicles which are in 70-75kmph speeds. 76 and above you are toast !!.

The "victims" then queue up on the side of the jeep, where if required the SI would pick up the image of the vehicle of the victim's vehicle. In both occasions I have been shown the picture. At PGT I requested the SI to give me a print out. He said, in that case I would have to pay the fines at the court at a later date. By then the police would take the print outs, prepare a formal charge-sheet, put a vehicle check report (with the picture) and send it to the local magistrate court. I can collect it from the court.

Last edited by sachinpk : 24th November 2014 at 11:40.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 12:53   #7855
BHPian

Quote:
But, talking about the MV Sections, how many policemen know which section applies to which offence? All they know is, what offence and how much is the fine to be collected.
Quote:
Here is the receipt. I just did a google search to find that 183 MV act is for speeding, even though the police had clearly mentioned that the violation is for not producing the insurance copy. I was not speeding as well in that stretch which was just after sequence of turns. Anyways, can't do much about this now.
Thanks for posting the Receipt. My statement as mentioned above may be true to some extent.
Old 24th November 2014, 13:31   #7856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for posting the Receipt. My statement as mentioned above may be true to some extent.
Tend to disagree. Do you feel that a Traffic Police Sub Inspector does NOT know the relevant sections in MV Act? If the arun_josie had the time (money and inclination) he could have taken the SI to the court, where he would have to prove that arun_josie was over-speeding. The case would get thrown out in no time. The days of the Kerala Police filled with pathum gusthiyum (10th standard pass and Physical fitness) folks have long gone. So the SI knew that Arun does not know the sections of MV Act by heart, and it would take him time to figure that out.

Any ways, I feel we are going "Out of Topic" here . So each to his own opinion.

Last edited by sachinpk : 24th November 2014 at 13:33.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 11:53   #7857
BHPian

I posted this query in another thread...but seeing the liveliness of this thread, i feel a better chance of a reply here.

I plan for a drive to thrissur from Bangalore this christmas. I am bored with Hosur-Salem-Kovai, Gudalur-Nilambur, Sultanbathery-Calicut routes by now and wanted to try a different one, which is refreshing, scenic and engaging (curves, ups and downs).

Now, my queries are

a. what's good and bad of each of the route option (plan to start at 4 am & reach thrissur by 8pm; 2 adults and 1 kid)
1. Bangalore-Kollegal- Karamadai-Mulli (via attappadi/mukkali)-Thrissur
2. Bangalore-Kollegal- Gundlupet-Kalhatty Road- Ooty- Mulli-Thrissur
3. Any other interesting route

b. I would love to take a detour to Siruvani reservoir on the way, i read here there are some entry restriction from one side or other. let know, if this is something that i can cover on the way.

c. Present condition of the route (roads, diversions, time restriction) and other information (must stop/see spots, gardens, shops or points to watch-out for flora/fauna).
Old 27th November 2014, 13:46   #7858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murajith View Post
I posted this query in another thread...but seeing the liveliness of this thread, i feel a better chance of a reply here.

I plan for a drive to thrissur from Bangalore this christmas. I am bored with Hosur-Salem-Kovai, Gudalur-Nilambur, Sultanbathery-Calicut routes by now and wanted to try a different one, which is refreshing, scenic and engaging (curves, ups and downs).

Now, my queries are

a. what's good and bad of each of the route option (plan to start at 4 am & reach thrissur by 8pm; 2 adults and 1 kid)

b. I would love to take a detour to Siruvani reservoir on the way, i read here there are some entry restriction from one side or other. let know, if this is something that i can cover on the way.

c. Present condition of the route (roads, diversions, time restriction) and other information (must stop/see spots, gardens, shops or points to watch-out for flora/fauna).
May be you can try this route

Via Attibele,Rayakottai,Palacode bypass,Thoppur,Omalur,Tharamangalam,Sankagiri,Erod e,Kangeyam,Palladam,Pollachi,Kollengode and Vadakkencherry. You get to pay toll at Thoppur only.

How about a toll free route??
Via Attibele,Rayakottai,Palacode,Pennagaram,Mecheri,Om alur,Tharamangalam,Sankagiri,Erode,Kangeyam,Pallad am,Pollachi,Kollengode and Vadakkencherry.

Mecheri-Pennagaram stretch is a treat to drive.
Old 27th November 2014, 15:40   #7859
BHPian

Due to some urgency i'am driving down to Trivandrum from Chennai this weekend. IRCTC Tatkal didn't helped.
Howz the current road condition between Nagercoil and Trivandrum? I know it will be butter smooth till Tirunelveli. Planning to start early from Chennai.
Old 27th November 2014, 16:22   #7860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murajith View Post

Now, my queries are

Try pollachi - valparai - sholayar - chalakudy detour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks