Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2010, 19:17   #1801
Team-BHP Support

Any Chennai folks who did Kodai recently? They would know better.
I remember reading in some post that NH45 between Dindigul and Trichy was also good. What is not good is the Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy section of NH67.

Any idea HVK ?
Old 26th October 2010, 19:23   #1802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

How long would be this distance from the regular route?
My home town is Angamaly ( 30 kms before Ernakulam ). Last time ( 3 weeks back ) when I did Bangalore to Angamaly through NH 47 , it took me 8.5 hours. When I went through Munnar , it took me 10 hours to reach Munnar and then from there it took me 3 hours to reach home ( heavy rain in ghats section ). The main difference between both was that I was not at all feeling tired after going through Munnar ( the climate and scenery makes the difference for me) compared to NH 47 trip . Now that NH47 has 4 lane work in multiple sections ( Angamaly - Thrissur , Avinashi - L&T road Coimbatore) and because of really bad roads in some sections , I would choose the Munnar road if you have a full day for travel

Last edited by Sujai : 26th October 2010 at 19:30.
Old 26th October 2010, 19:33   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
What would be the best suggested route to drive to Kochi considering the present road conditions?
Hey Parag, welcome to God's own country. The best route would be BLR-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Angamaly-Ernakulam (Kochi). However from the recent updates on the thread it seems that Palakkad-Thrissur is worst. I experienced the road when it was bad during last week of August. So the detour suggested in this thread was Coimbatore-Palakkad-Patambi-Wadkanchery-Angamaly.
Old 26th October 2010, 22:32   #1804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Hey Parag, welcome to God's own country. The best route would be BLR-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Angamaly-Ernakulam (Kochi). However from the recent updates on the thread it seems that Palakkad-Thrissur is worst. I experienced the road when it was bad during last week of August. So the detour suggested in this thread was Coimbatore-Palakkad-Patambi-Wadkanchery-Angamaly.
RG, That's a good piece of information indeed. With so much confusion that I have.Thanks for sharing.
Old 26th October 2010, 22:53   #1805
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Aargee, does one need to go all the way till Pattambi? Cant you by-pass via Shornur to reach Wadackanchery? Also how does one by-pass Trichur on the Wadackanchery-Angmaly stretch?
Old 27th October 2010, 08:51   #1806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Aargee, does one need to go all the way till Pattambi? Cant you by-pass via Shornur to reach Wadackanchery? Also how does one by-pass Trichur on the Wadackanchery-Angmaly stretch?
It could be done probably, but I'm not aware of the bye-pass via Shornur.

One can bye-pass the Thrissur. Let me explain in the best of words as I only have visuals.

On approaching towards Thrissur from Wadakkanchery, there're 2 roads getting divided, one towards left & other slightly towards right, however both of them are on the left side only. Taking left most one goes towards Palakkad-Angamaly (NH47) junction & from there one has to take right towards Angamaly. If the right side of road is taken, then it leads to rountanna that leads to Punkunnam, Guruvayoor, Thrissur town.
Old 27th October 2010, 09:43   #1807
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It could be done probably, but I'm not aware of the bye-pass via Shornur.

One can bye-pass the Thrissur. Let me explain in the best of words as I only have visuals.

On approaching towards Thrissur from Wadakkanchery, there're 2 roads getting divided, one towards left & other slightly towards right, however both of them are on the left side only. Taking left most one goes towards Palakkad-Angamaly (NH47) junction & from there one has to take right towards Angamaly. If the right side of road is taken, then it leads to rountanna that leads to Punkunnam, Guruvayoor, Thrissur town.
The road leading to Angamaly has to be NH47 right? I have driven from Ernakulam to Trichur via Angamaly and seen the by-pass from where Trichur town is about 7-10 Km. But I am not of the situation when coming from Wadakkanchery. You will need to some how get on NH47 once again. I think that can be through the by-pass on the Palghat side of Trichur.

Is that what you mean?
Old 27th October 2010, 09:52   #1808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The road leading to Angamaly has to be NH47 right? I have driven from Ernakulam to Trichur via Angamaly and seen the by-pass from where Trichur town is about 7-10 Km.
This is bang right

Quote:
But I am not of the situation when coming from Wadakkanchery. You will need to some how get on NH47 once again. I think that can be through the by-pass on the Palghat side of Trichur.
Well, its the same road that you said above, but what I'm trying to say is, when coming from Wadakkanchery, there's a road that gets divided much before & its just before the power station. If one sees the power station, then it means, they've lost the bye-pass for the town. This bye-pass leads to the above said road. Ideally to enter & exit to NH47 the road is same, but to enter or not enter Thrissur town is optional. Sorry about my explanation as I'm good only with visuals on the spot.
Old 27th October 2010, 10:03   #1809
Team-BHP Support

What a pity, I dont have a track log of that drive. Else I would have figured it out. Can you point that in Google maps?
Old 27th October 2010, 10:10   #1810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
BTW, which vehicle are they travelling?
Safari, and there are 5 people traveling. The route you suggested sounds very interesting. will update as they decide.
Old 27th October 2010, 10:52   #1811
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
It could be done probably, but I'm not aware of the bye-pass via Shornur
You are right; there is no need to go till Pattambi. One needs to turn left at Kulapally to get to the Wadackanchery Road. I had travelled this route (from Kunnamkulam to Palakkad via Wadackanchery, Shoranur) in mid-September. The Wadackanchery - Shoranur stretch was in very good condition then.

Palakkad, Kerala, India to Angamaly, Kerala, India - Google Maps
Old 28th October 2010, 10:50   #1812
BHPian

Guys,

Am planning a trip from Hyderabad to Cochin this weekend. I know hyd-bgl is very good. I need to know how the bangalore-cochin stretch is, specifically the coimbatore-palakkad-trishur-Aluva stretch is. Some previous posts talks about these stretch being bad.

I am planning to take the google map route which are mostly National Highways.

Please let me know the latest condition of NH-47 stretch of coimbatore-Ernakulam, if someone has travelled recently. It would be very helpful for me to void surprises as am travelling with my family. Suggestions welcome.
Old 28th October 2010, 10:54   #1813
BHPian

Quote:
This is bang right

Well, its the same road that you said above, but what I'm trying to say is, when coming from Wadakkanchery, there's a road that gets divided much before & its just before the power station. If one sees the power station, then it means, they've lost the bye-pass for the town. This bye-pass leads to the above said road. Ideally to enter & exit to NH47 the road is same, but to enter or not enter Thrissur town is optional. Sorry about my explanation as I'm good only with visuals on the spot.
Yes. you can get into NH 47 before entering to Trichur town,by taking any good roads towards left.
NH47 has a Trichur entry point at Mannuthy side. Then there are many cross roads,which get into NH47. Its better to use one of them,than going through Trichur town and entering NH47 at Ollur/Thalore side.

Here is one option:
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-sshot88888.jpg  

Last edited by mykal shoemaker : 28th October 2010 at 10:59.
Old 28th October 2010, 12:18   #1814
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am forced to drive to Kottayam tomorrow eve due to some personal commitments. I would be taking regular Selam - Palakkad - Trissur - Muvattupuzha route. Anyone else who is starting around 4PM?

Also I can accomodate someone who is struggling to get tickets on this long weekend. I am thinking of car pooling since driving alone .
Old 28th October 2010, 13:23   #1815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Guys,

I am forced to drive to Kottayam tomorrow eve due to some personal commitments. I would be taking regular Selam - Palakkad - Trissur - Muvattupuzha route. Anyone else who is starting around 4PM?

Also I can accomodate someone who is struggling to get tickets on this long weekend. I am thinking of car pooling since driving alone .
If its Kottayam, why not take the Theni route. Much-much better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks