Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2024, 14:14   #14701
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Guys, planning chennai to kochi drive on 4th May, via ulundurpet-salem-CBE
How is the condition of the road from Ulundurpet to Salem, are the road widening and byepass works done ??
any feedback from anyone who has driven recently will be appreciated
Old 5th May 2024, 11:50   #14702

Hi Guys,
I am going from theni to kochi. Gmap is showing 2 routes . One via then-cumbum-limply-pala-kochi and the other via theni-rajakkad-kothamangalam-muvattupuzha-kolenchery-kochi . Anybody took these routes before and know which route is better ?
Old 14th May 2024, 11:13   #14703

Hello all! Have read through most of the posts on this thread and it has been very helpful! I am planning on doing a similar trip as well from Pune to KL to TN and back to Pune.

Would like to get some feedback from you and others on the below planning:

Pune - Goa
Goa - Bekal
Bekal - Alleppey
Alleppey - Kanyakumari
Kanyakumari - Dhanushkodi
Dhanushkodi - Kumbakonam
Kumbakonam - Chennai
Chennai - Pune (via Hubli)

My main queries are to do with the western coast roads. How good are they? I am also planning for this trip in late June'24. Will the rains be very bad during this time on this stretch?

Thanks in advance!
Old 14th May 2024, 16:23   #14704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari0388 View Post
I am also planning for this trip in late June'24. Will the rains be very bad during this time on this stretch?

Thanks in advance!
Late June is peak monsoon season. Most of the beach shacks will be closed in Goa.
For Alleppey, check if the lake side resorts and house boats are operational.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 17:27   #14705
Senior - BHPian

Tried the NH844 from Dharmapuri to Hosur, and it saved a lot of time.

The turn-off from NH44 is not easy to miss, and the highway was well-lit for a good 50+km. Since we took this route at the dead of the night, there was hardly anyone on that road. There was an Innova, a Taigun and a taxi Etios, besides our car, doing sane speeds for the 4-lane, and driving almost like a convoy by maintaining a safe distance from each other.

There are unlit sections with diversions, so it's recommended to keep our eyes peeled and focus only on the road. We passed by a banged up Etios at one of the diversions, which, to me, appeared to have missed the sign and took a dip in the ditch. Some sections, especially after the toll-booth (which is not operational), have WIP stretches that can take anyone by surprise.

The Rayakottai to Hosur stretch isn't particularly smooth, maybe the TN Highways dept decided not to spend a lot on maintaining this stretch that's going to be upgraded by the NHAI.

The road connects to the Hosur ring road - so one can either bypass the NH44 by heading to Attibele TVS factory side, or merge with the Bangalore highway, depending on the time of the day. We took the latter, since traffic was thin and as expected, the Attibele toll was free.

With the kind of traffic and delays caused by the many diversions on NH44, Google Maps started suggesting the Mettur-Bhavani route instead of the highway. After paying Rs.800+ as toll between Walayar and Attibele, I feel short-changed for the road conditions we have to put up with.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 17:58   #14706

Pune to Munnar in May with family

Vehicle - Skoda Kushaq 1.5 Auto

After considering various suggestions, my family and I embarked on a road trip from Pune to Munnar, and I'd like to share our experience.

We set off on Friday evening and reached Kolhapur by 7 pm. I avoid driving at night, so I always aim to arrive before sunset. The highway had numerous diversions due to ongoing construction, which hopefully will improve once it's completed.

Our plan was to leave early Saturday morning at 4 am and drive to Salem. However, as is often the case with road trips, unexpected events unfolded. My older daughter fell ill during the night and wasn't able to wake up early.

At one point, we even considered cancelling the trip altogether, but things started to look up. We consulted a doctor in Kolhapur, got medication for our daughter, and decided to proceed. By the time we were ready to leave, it was already afternoon, but our daughter was feeling much better.

We resumed our journey and reached Chitradurga in the evening. Diversions persisted until Belagavi, and after Dharwad, we had to endure a 30 km stretch of two-lane highway behind trucks. Along the way, we booked a hotel called Mayuradurga, which seemed to be the best option available in Chitradurga on Booking.com.

May 5th coincided with a religious festival in Chitradurga, causing heavy congestion in the city as people gathered for festivities. It was quite challenging to navigate through the crowded streets to reach our hotel, but with the help of locals, we managed. lesson learnt - always book hotels on the highway for halting purpose.

The medication began to take effect, and by the next morning, our daughter was feeling much better. We continued our journey towards Salem, encountering excellent road conditions until our destination. Kushaq, cruised smoothly for most of the journey, allowing us to maintain a good speed on the highways. There was some traffic when we bypassed Bangalore, but it was manageable.

We stayed at the Grand Estencia in Salem, conveniently located right on the highway, offering excellent amenities. It provided us with a relaxing environment to recharge before continuing our journey to Munnar the next day.

Setting off in the morning after a hearty breakfast, we headed towards Munnar via Dindigul-Theni. The initial 170 km stretch was a four-lane highway, followed by hilly terrain leading to Munnar. I prefer to drive cautiously, maintaining a speed of 30 km/hour on the hilly roads, which were in good condition and not too challenging for experienced drivers. For those new to driving in such terrains, I would recommend gaining some experience in places with lesser elevations, like Lonavala or Mahabaleshwar, before attempting Munnar.

Upon entering the Munnar area, we were greeted with breathtaking views. We made several stops along the way to capture the beauty of the tea gardens and the awe-inspiring landscape. Family was truly overwhelmed by the beauty of the surroundings, confirming why Kerala is often referred to as "God's Own Country."

Munnar is beautiful. words and picture cannot capture the beauty of this place. After spending 3-4 days there, we decided to head back.
earlier plan was to go to Coimbatore, visit Adi yogi and then to Pune. but it was too hot that we dropped the idea of visiting Coimbatore this time.
We came back via the same route with two stops on the way at Hosur and Belagavi.
Munnar -> Dindigul -> Salem -> Hosur -> Dharwad -> Belagavi -> Kolhapur -> Satara -> Pune
RoadTripLover_ is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks