Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
  Search this Thread
4,675,078 views
Old 20th May 2024, 17:14   #14716
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,641
Thanked: 17,888 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
P

Are you referring to the alternate route this Gmap shows in light blue from Hosur to Dharamapuri? For me, it shows 11km shorter but 25 minutes longer than regular NH44 .

Am I missing something?
This is probably due to the fact that it is a newly expanded road and Google Maps would not be updated/reflecting the whole new stretch yet as portions would have got opened recently. I recently drove between Rayakottai and Hosur and although some sections have opened here, Google maps is not reflecting them yet.

Although I am surprised about the 1 hr benefit between Dharmapuri and Hosur. I expected it to take the same time or maybe slightly lesser considering the pending work between Rayakottai and Hosur. Once the full work is done till Neralur near Chandapura, expect it to have a large time benefit of more than an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krish_Diesel View Post
Hello BHPians,

I am planning to travel from Bangalore (KR Puram) to Wayanad (Kuruva Island Resorts). Please suggest the best route to reach this place and also the road conditions.
Default route would be Mysore Expressway- Mysore Ring Road- Handpost-Antharasanthe-Nagarhole Forest-Bavali- Resort. The stretch inside the forest(10-12km) is narrow and has always been bad. Was partly patched recently, but still expect it to have gone bad again. Should be ok to navigate. The rest of the roads are all very good. There is pretty much no proper restaurant or rest rooms post Mysore. So keep that in mind. You can follow google maps for this.

Alternate would be Mysore-Gundlepet-Bathery-Kenichira-Panamaram-Resort. This is around 40km more and would take maybe 45 min more. Good roads throughout and more options to stop post Mysore. If you add Bathery as a stop, Google would show this route.
Rajeevraj is offline  
Old 20th May 2024, 18:12   #14717
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,186
Thanked: 1,361 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This is probably due to the fact that it is a newly expanded road and Google Maps would not be updated/reflecting the whole new stretch yet as portions would have got opened recently. I recently drove between Rayakottai and Hosur and although some sections have opened here, Google maps is not reflecting them yet.

Although I am surprised about the 1 hr benefit between Dharmapuri and Hosur. I expected it to take the same time or maybe slightly lesser considering the pending work between Rayakottai and Hosur. Once the full work is done till Neralur near Chandapura, expect it to have a large time benefit of more than an hour.
Got it. Thank you.
Although I'm wondering about 1 hour or more benefit. Current distance between Hosur and Dharamapuri is about 100km on NH44 and about 1 hour 45 minutes. New road would reduce it by 15km or so. How would it translate into 1+ hour travel time reduction ?

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 20th May 2024 at 18:14.
Aviator_guy is offline  
Old 21st May 2024, 10:59   #14718
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 131 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Default route would be Mysore Expressway- Mysore Ring Road- Handpost-Antharasanthe-Nagarhole Forest-Bavali- Resort. The stretch inside the forest(10-12km) is narrow and has always been bad.
Thank you Rajeevraj. When you say Nagarhole, I believe its via Kabini. Is my understanding right? One more question is being a wildlife enthusiastic, I would prefer to take forest route. Which route is better for this? Kabini route or Bandipur route? I am ok with extra kms please. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 21st May 2024 at 20:18. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
Krish_Diesel is offline  
Old 21st May 2024, 17:09   #14719
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,617
Thanked: 5,589 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
These limits are from 2014. They have been overridden by the 2023 revision.
The 2023 revision has now been further revised by the 2024 revision (I feel like Sir Humphrey typing that), which reduces the prevalent speed limit for cars on six-lane roads from 110 kmph to 100 kmph.

https://www.onmanorama.com/news/kera...ala-roads.html
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 17:16   #14720
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,641
Thanked: 17,888 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krish_Diesel View Post
Thank you Rajeevraj. When you say Nagarhole, I believe its via Kabini. Is my understanding right? One more question is being a wildlife enthusiastic, I would prefer to take forest route. Which route is better for this? Kabini route or Bandipur route? I am ok with extra kms please. Thank you in advance.
Yes, it is the Kabini route that passes through Nagarhole. Both routes have their own charm. Regarding sightings, both routes max you will see deers and maybe elephants. Maybe you can go via the Kabini route and return via Bandipur. That way you cover both.
Rajeevraj is offline  
Old 22nd May 2024, 10:41   #14721
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 2,097
Thanked: 2,568 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi Guys,

Have a question to people familiar with Malapuram area

Have a wedding to attend in Thirur in June. Will have to be around there for 2 days

Any suggestions for a good hotel - with in 30 minutes drive from Thirur is fine. Budget is not a constraint, really.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards and Drive safe
r_nairtvm is offline  
Old 22nd May 2024, 11:27   #14722
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,617
Thanked: 5,589 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Any suggestions for a good hotel - with in 30 minutes drive from Thirur is fine. Budget is not a constraint, really.
It is my birthplace and native place so I haven't had many occasions to stay in a hotel there, but the one time I did I stayed here and it was very good.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/bj7JtqUE5r2BKdbt6
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 11:29   #14723
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,641
Thanked: 17,888 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hi Guys,
Any suggestions for a good hotel - with in 30 minutes drive from Thirur is fine. Budget is not a constraint, really.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards and Drive safe
Tirur is not great with respect to hotels. There is only one and reviews are mixed.

Hotel Continento

Recently I heard about this resort near Tirur recently. No personal experience, but reviews are good and have had good feedback from couple of folks I know. So maybe a nice option.

Coir Retreat

Coir Retreat Insta

Where are you coming from and how are you traveling? That can help identify places outside Tirur for stay if the above do not work out- Like Ponnani, Kotakkal or even Calicut.

Good Food choices are: Hotel Sabka, Hotel Khaleez, Cafe Coffee Cream(Food here is better than any cafe I have visited in Bangalore), Hotel Ganapathy(Good veg food)

Let me know any other info required. Like site seeing places or temples. Couple of decent beaches and there are like 15 historically famous temples in a 10-15 km radius.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 22nd May 2024 at 11:32.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 13:27   #14724
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 2,097
Thanked: 2,568 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Tirur is not great with respect to hotels. There is only one and reviews are mixed.

Hotel Continento

Recently I heard about this resort near Tirur recently. No personal experience, but reviews are good
Will check this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Where are you coming from and how are you traveling? That can help identify places outside Tirur for stay if the above do not work out- Like Ponnani, Kotakkal or even Calicut.
Coming from Trivandrum by Road. So i will be mobile. I am looking at Kottakal as an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Couple of decent beaches and there are like 15 historically famous temples in a 10-15 km radius.
Have done Alathiyur. Thirunavaya and couple of others previously- this trip not very likely

Thanks a lot

Last edited by graaja : 22nd May 2024 at 16:28. Reason: Fixing broken quotes.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 15:39   #14725
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 131 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Yes, it is the Kabini route that passes through Nagarhole. Both routes have their own charm. Regarding sightings, both routes max you will see deers and maybe elephants. Maybe you can go via the Kabini route and return via Bandipur. That way you cover both.
Thanks Rajeevraj. Yes I will prefer to do this way. I will go via Kabini and while coming I will come via Bandipur so that I can try for Bandipur Safari on the way back. Thank you again.
Krish_Diesel is offline  
Old 23rd May 2024, 13:10   #14726
BHPian
 
Thanos-VV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: KA
Posts: 64
Thanked: 142 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi Guys,

Requesting expert inputs on the road conditions.

I have a drive planned for next week from Kollam to Bangalore. I have taken the below 2 routes multiple times in the past but none in the last one year so wanted to get expert advice on the road conditions. I always preferred Option1 till now.

Option 1:
Kollam > Punalur > Tenkasi > Rajapalayam > Madurai > Salem > Krishnagiri > Bangalore.

For Option 1, how is the road condition between Tenkasi till Madurai? I think there are road widening works happening and will this negate the advantage of having 4 lane from Madurai?

Option 2:
Kollam > Ernakulam > Palakkad > Coimbatore > Erode > Salem > Krishnagiri > Bangalore.

Since I plan to start around 5AM, i think i can avoid the majority of traffic snarls due to NH66 works till EKM and also avoid the bottlenecks between Ernakulam and Paliyekara. I would like to get inputs about the roads/traffic around Coimbatore and is it bad enough to not even consider option 2?

I am not considering the Kumily route to Dindigal as i have not used it and also taking into account the Monsoon rains.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!!
Thanos-VV is offline  
Old 23rd May 2024, 13:30   #14727
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 54
Thanked: 109 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

From tenkasi there is a good village road to kovilpatti via shankarankoil. The road has hardly any traffic but lots of humps. Can avoid Rajapalayam route and construction traffic
subincb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 15:39   #14728
BHPian
 
Maibaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 308
Thanked: 92 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Question to my fellow BHPians from Kerala:

Is it a good idea to plan Munnar visit from Kochi during the first or second week of June given the weather conditions in June and considering the past occurance of rains and landslides in this region during monsoons?

I have my friends who are considering visiting Munnar after arriving in Kochi by air. Since this is an all girls trip, I want to get advice on weather conditions and safety given that they will be travelling by Cab from Kochi to Munnar and using local transport for Sightseeing.

Last edited by Maibaa : 23rd May 2024 at 15:41.
Maibaa is offline  
Old 23rd May 2024, 21:19   #14729
BHPian
 
darklord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: TVM (KL-16)
Posts: 752
Thanked: 3,129 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos-VV View Post
Hi Guys,

Requesting expert inputs on the road conditions.

I always preferred Option1 till now.

Option 1:
Kollam > Punalur > Tenkasi > Rajapalayam > Madurai > Salem > Krishnagiri > Bangalore.

For Option 1, how is the road condition between Tenkasi till Madurai? I think there are road widening works happening and will this negate the advantage of having 4 lane from Madurai?
Traveled a couple of weeks back, BLR-ATL.

Tirumangalam till Rajapalayam outskirts is a mixed bag; construction, diversions, potholed old NH (I wonder how the folks of Rajapalayam tolerate such pathetic intra-city roads for years on end!!), some sections of new NH is open and good.

Rajapalayam till Tenkasi has good roads in the open stretches, but intra-town, intra-village roads are not too good.

I took this route instead of the Tenkasi bypass (I am not sure if the works in Tenkasi bypass was over or not). This is also a good road:
Name:  Screenshot 20240523 at 211558 Google Maps.png
Views: 81
Size:  196.8 KB

Puliyarai till Kottavasal (KL border) had some pretty huge craters, especially in the bends).

Travelled in a Safari 2.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subincb View Post
From tenkasi there is a good village road to kovilpatti via shankarankoil. The road has hardly any traffic but lots of humps. Can avoid Rajapalayam route and construction traffic
May be explore this option as well. I avoided it because I drove during the night and chose to stick to the familiar route.

Last edited by darklord : 23rd May 2024 at 21:23.
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 21:38   #14730
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,617
Thanked: 5,589 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Is it a good idea to plan Munnar visit from Kochi during the first or second week of June given the weather conditions in June and considering the past occurance of rains and landslides in this region during monsoons?
I expect the monsoons to be in full fury around that time. There might be specific lull days but that is impossible to predict early.

Already there are yellow/orange/red alerts for various districts. And some restrictions including on night-time driving have been imposed apparently.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks