Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2024, 17:38   #14641
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi guys,

Will be driving down from Pune to Thrissur next Thursday. When I checked google maps just now it showed me a route via Solapur - Vijaypura and back to NH48 at Chitradurga.

This route is longer by approx 30 kms / 30 mins when compared to taking the NH48 all the way from Pune itself.

Usually google shows the fastest available route but this case seems to be an exception.

Is it due to the large number of diversions?
What do you guys recommend, stick to NH48 or go via Solapur?
Old 29th March 2024, 17:43   #14642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
Will be driving down from Pune to Thrissur next Thursday. When I checked google maps just now it showed me a route via Solapur - Vijaypura and back to NH48 at Chitradurga.

You should ask in the Mumbai-Bangalore thread, but I remember reading there that the route via Solapur is preferable these days on all but the "abundance of food breakpoints" parameter.

Here is a recent one: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5727441 (Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries)

Last edited by binand : 29th March 2024 at 17:48.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 17:57   #14643
BHPian

Hi Friends,

As part of our Kerala trip in mid-April, we will be traveling from Wayanad to Alleppey and Google Maps is suggesting the below two options. It would be very helpful to get your suggestions on the preferred route:

Route 1 (mostly hugging the coast): Wayanad > Adivaram > Thamarassery > Pantheeramkavu > Ramanattukara > Tanur > Tirur > Veliancode > Guruvayur > Kochi > Alappuzha

Route 2 (Via Thrissur): Wayanad > Adivaram > Mukkam > Areekode > Manjeri > Perintalmanna > Koppam > Thrissur > Kochi > Alappuzha

Additional context if it helps pick the better route: planning to do this in a single day, traveling with family+kids.

Thank you.
Old 29th March 2024, 20:06   #14644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepsimus View Post
Route 1 (mostly hugging the coast): Wayanad > Adivaram > Thamarassery > Pantheeramkavu > Ramanattukara > Tanur > Tirur > Veliancode > Guruvayur > Kochi > Alappuzha

Route 2 (Via Thrissur): Wayanad > Adivaram > Mukkam > Areekode > Manjeri > Perintalmanna > Koppam > Thrissur > Kochi > Alappuzha
Route 1: Ramanattukara-Tanur is not a connection you can easily make - the connecting road, Chelari-Chettipadi, was blocked off last time I went that way (for a ROB construction). Plus, the NH66 redevelopment makes driving on it a very painful affair. I generally hit the coastal road (Chaliyam-Kadalundi-Parappanangadi instead.

For the same reason you should avoid Chamravattom-Chavakkad (not Guruvayur)-Kochi too. Instead, take Chamravattom-Changaramkulam-Perumbilavu-Eranallur-Thrissur and connect to NH544 towards Kochi.

But route 2 is what I take (with slight modifications) when I drive Calicut-Kochi. Instead of Perinthalmanna-Koppam-Thrissur I go Perinthalmanna-Cherpulassery-Vaniyamkulam-Kulappully-Thrissur.
Old 29th March 2024, 22:15   #14645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

Is it due to the large number of diversions?
Yes, its due to the umpteen number of diversions. I think its better to take the Solapur route. Heavy vehicle traffic will be less.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 10:34   #14646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
But route 2 is what I take (with slight modifications) when I drive Calicut-Kochi. Instead of Perinthalmanna-Koppam-Thrissur I go Perinthalmanna-Cherpulassery-Vaniyamkulam-Kulappully-Thrissur.
Thanks a lot, will try this one
Old 1st April 2024, 13:06   #14647

Dear all,
I need to drive from Kottayam to Angamaly (after many years).
Which route is better -
1) via MC road (Muvattupuzha & Perumbavoor) or
2) Via Kakkanadu and Aluva

- In terms of road quality, traffic jams etc

Not much difference in distance and travel time as per google maps.
Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 14:08   #14648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajiseb View Post
Dear all,
I need to drive from Kottayam to Angamaly
Via MC Road. I have always found both Kottayam-Ernakulam and Ernakulam-Aluva to be intolerably frustrating.

Be aware of the inevitable pileup at Kaladi bridge. Seek alternatives if you can.
Old 1st April 2024, 16:34   #14649
BHPian

Quote:
You should ask in the Mumbai-Bangalore thread, but I remember reading there that the route via Solapur is preferable these days on all but the "abundance of food breakpoints" parameter.

Here is a recent one: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5727441 (Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Yes, its due to the umpteen number of diversions. I think its better to take the Solapur route. Heavy vehicle traffic will be less.
There has been a change in plan and now my starting point has shifted from Pune to Sangli. I worked out a few options as shown in the images below:

All Roads to Kerala-onward-routes.png

All Roads to Kerala-map-2.png

Based on the feedback received so far, I am inclined towards Route A but for some reason google recommends going off the highway at Tumkur and leads you for the next 300kms on a variety of state and NH offshoots (A4 - A9)

I'll be the only one driving and my father is the only person accompanying me so the trip will have to be split into two days.
From the hotel availability perspective, I believe it is better to continue onwards upto bangalore bypass and stop for the night somewhere near Electronic city.

Last edited by jomson13 : 1st April 2024 at 16:57.
Old 1st April 2024, 18:23   #14650
pms
BHPian

Driving down to Kollam from Bengaluru this Saturday morning. My normal route so far has been Salem-Dindigul-Tirumangalam-Rajapalayam-Shencottai-Kottarakara-Kollam.

Name:  Route via Madurai 20240401 182639.png
Views: 98
Size:  465.8 KB

As of now Google Maps is suggesting the route via Dindigul-Theni-Kumali-Pathanamthitta-Adoor-Kottarakara-Kollam with time savings of close to 2hrs against my normal route. I have never taken this stretch.

All Roads to Kerala-route-map-20240401-181744.png

Has anyone take the above route to Kollam or to nearby areas? How is the road condition and will it really save time, any inputs will help.

Last edited by pms : 1st April 2024 at 18:27.
Old 1st April 2024, 19:06   #14651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'll be the only one driving and my father is the only person accompanying me so the trip will have to be split into two days.
From the hotel availability perspective, I believe it is better to continue onwards upto bangalore bypass and stop for the night somewhere near Electronic city.
I regularly do Pune-Palakkad and this is what i normally do:
1- If starting in the evening, I normally do Pune-Kolhapur and the next day do Kolhapur-Palakkad. If i get tired, i again break the Journey at Salem and proceed to Palakkad the next day.
2- If starting early morning, I do Pune-Electronic city or Attibelle. The next day I start post breakfast and i am home by 15:00 hrs.

We mostly stick to option 2 as it requires only one stop. We have been sticking to Bengaluru-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad route only as road conditions are good.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 19:09   #14652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on the feedback received so far, I am inclined towards Route A but for some reason google recommends going off the highway at Tumkur and leads you for the next 300kms on a variety of state and NH offshoots (A4 - A9)
Google goes solely by time. For some reason it calculated A to take about 30 mins lesser; but in the larger scheme of things - 1000+ km journey that's going to take ~20 hours - I don't think that should matter all that much. The A route has the super-crowded and jam-prone Dhimbam Ghat, plus the drive through the minor roads that connect the bustling interior towns of TN can be frustrating. The unknown in the B route is the time it would take to go past Bangalore. On most days from Nelamangala to Attibele it shouldn't take more than 90-100 minutes. Rest of it is very predictable.

Quote:

It might be even better if you were to cross into Tamil Nadu and look for a hotel in Hosur. See if you can manage that.
Old 1st April 2024, 21:17   #14653

Quote:
Via MC Road. I have always found both Kottayam-Ernakulam and Ernakulam-Aluva to be intolerably frustrating.

Be aware of the inevitable pileup at Kaladi bridge. Seek alternatives if you can.
Thanks. I was under the impression that there are no alternatives to crossing the Kalady bridge
Old 2nd April 2024, 00:33   #14654
phi
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I was under the impression that there are no alternatives to crossing the Kalady bridge
You could just re-check Google Maps when you hit Perumbavur. In case Kalady bridge is too busy, it will route you via Thiruvairanikulam bridge. On most days, it would still be faster than going via SH-15, unless you are travelling in the night.
phi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 09:14   #14655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are three bridges to the west (Vallam, Thiruvairanikulam, Thottumukham) and one to the east (Kodanad) of Kaladi bridge - and that is not counting the main NH544 bridge at Aluva. My preference would be to cut over to AM Road from MC Road reaching Kuruppampadi and then taking the Kodanad-Malayattoor-Manjapra route to Angamaly - this will bypass Perumbavoor also.

I have been hearing that the Kalady pile-up can potentially delay you by 1h+ these days.

Last edited by binand : 2nd April 2024 at 09:16.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks