Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2024, 21:23   #14596
pms
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Happy New Year everyone!

Drove from Kollam to Blr on 30th Dec. Door to door took 14.5 hours with 2 breaks of 45 mins each. Started at 5:15AM from Kollam and reached home in East Blr at 7:45PM. One of most the time-consuming drives I had.

Took Kollam - Allpy - Ekm - Thrissur - Plkd - Salem - Blr route instead of the usual Punalur - Senkottai - Madurai - Dindigul one.

Kollam to Alathur, near Palakkad (232 Kms) was covered pretty fast (4.5 hrs) since it was early morning. From there onwards it was continuous traffic all the way till BLR. Palakkad highway is a joke with signals every 1-2 Km and long queues to cross them. L&T byepass is another big joke and driving that 2 lane section is very risky too.

Hosur to home, last 45Kms took 2 hours, thanks to crazy evening traffic.

All in all, a good learning on being more patient, calm and mindful

Last edited by pms : 1st January 2024 at 21:24.
pms is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 22:44   #14597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
Drove from Kollam to Blr on 30th Dec. Door to door took 14.5 hours with 2 breaks of 45 mins each. Started at 5:15AM from Kollam and reached home in East Blr at 7:45PM. One of most the time-consuming drives I had.
You must consider yourself lucky if you just managed to escape the huge traffic jam a few kms after Krishnagiri. A truck overturned and caught fire and we were stuck at the same place for over 2 hours - so Salem to NICE road entrance took 5 hours+ for me this evening ! 😪
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 23:08   #14598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
You must consider yourself lucky if you just managed to escape the huge traffic jam a few kms after Krishnagiri. A truck overturned and caught fire and we were stuck at the same place for over 2 hours - so Salem to NICE road entrance took 5 hours+ for me this evening
True! It took me 6 hours to travel from Salem to Bangalore. 34 kmph is the average speed I could manage. Literally city traffic on NH44. Including ~2 hours of bumper-to-bumper traffic. It was terrible.

I still don’t know what happened at Kariamangalam (between Dharmapuri and Krishnagiri) for them to close the highway and divert the traffic through rurals.

Edit: It looks like the tanker caught fire near the above-mentioned location, before Krishnagiri. Any idea about congestion after Krishnagiri?

Last edited by robincsamuel : 1st January 2024 at 23:33. Reason: Clarification
Old 2nd January 2024, 08:43   #14599
BHPian

We were caught up in this jam just after it happened as we saw the fire trucks trying to get through the caught up traffic and fire men running towards the incident. We had just crossed the Krishnagiri toll and saw the entire main highway was blocked and all traffic diverted to the service road.

Thankfully we were able to reverse out into a side road (following some local traffic and a cab) and join the Rayakotta - Hosur highway. We lost ~90 mins.
Old 2nd January 2024, 08:53   #14600
Senior - BHPian

You are paying a whopping ~1000Rs as toll one way from Thrissur to Bangalore. But the authorities are somehow hell bent on making the trip as difficult as possible for the commuters. When there is festival rush, what you do.. undertake maintenance work and block 2-3 lanes of traffic.
When there is choc block traffic you don't have common sense to remove the innovative zig zag barricades and make the traffic even worse. Many places unnecessary flyover works are pending for years. Most signals on NH in Kerala have lower priority for highway traffic.
Things have deteriorated so bad last 2-3 years.
poloman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 10:26   #14601
Senior - BHPian

I came through the Dimbam ghats to avoid the crazy queues at barricades, flyover works, toll plazas etc. It was a peaceful drive with a fishy lunch break at Bhavanisagar dam.

While going to Kerala on the previous weekend, we started on Friday evening and took a break at Salem to avoid the weekend rush, but Salem Bangalore took close to 5 hours.

It is true that the travel time has only gone up in the last few years through these highways
Old 2nd January 2024, 10:54   #14602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I came through the Dimbam ghats to avoid the crazy queues at barricades, flyover works, toll plazas etc. It was a peaceful drive with a fishy lunch break at Bhavanisagar dam.

While going to Kerala on the previous weekend, we started on Friday evening and took a break at Salem to avoid the weekend rush, but Salem Bangalore took close to 5 hours.

It is true that the travel time has only gone up in the last few years through these highways
Infact the google maps was not showing the usual Salem route the reason being road closures. Can you imagine the audacity of authorities to close down roads during festive rush? This route was a breeze 2 years back. Got progressively bad due to poor maintenance, zig zag barricades and unwarranted flyover constructions. The L & T bypass don't even need a mention for the kind of pain point it has become.

The never ending construction mode is a clever ploy by the toll management companies to keep increasing the tolls showing increasing maintenance expenses.
Old 2nd January 2024, 11:40   #14603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Infact the google maps was not showing the usual Salem route the reason being road closures.
Yes, and I thought my Gmaps has developed some issue and checked on other phones to confirm

It is the inconsiderate attitude of the local authorities than the lack of facilities creating bulk of the issues. Wondering if the consumer rights will come in to play for lack of service here where heavy tolls are levied on top of the road taxes.
Old 3rd January 2024, 08:43   #14604
BHPian

I was travelling back to Bangalore yesterday (jan 2nd) from Kochi and was stuck in traffic after hosur around 3:30 PM. Any idea why this traffic jam happened yesterday?
Traffic was standstill on the highway.I checked gmaps and it was showing red till Hosur checkpost. Luckily i took Uturn and took the Hosur-Chikkatirupathi -Whitefield route to reach home.
Old 9th January 2024, 14:18   #14605
BHPian

Today's news. Looks like one or the Kuthiran Tunnels is closed for some concrete work on the roof.

https://www.onmanorama.com/travel/tr...works.amp.html

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th January 2024 at 17:17. Reason: Removed snap of newspaper (copyright issue); shared online link. Thanks.
Old 14th January 2024, 14:53   #14606

All planning a trip from pathanamthitta to Vellore .

option 1 : pathanamthitta - Mundakayam-periyar-kumily -theni -dindigul-salem -krishnagiri- vellore

option 2 : pathanamthitta - tenkasi- thriunelveli-madurai -dindigul-salem -krishnagiri- vellore

if anyone has travelled along option 1 /2 recently can you please share the road condition
Old 14th January 2024, 21:17   #14607
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiacz View Post
option 1 : pathanamthitta - Mundakayam-periyar-kumily -theni -dindigul-salem -krishnagiri- vellore
Cant comment on the KL side of the roads. But Dindigul-Theni I think is brilliant. Its a wide 2-lane.
Old 15th January 2024, 14:02   #14608
pms
BHPian

Traffic on NH44 & NH544 is increasing year on year. In the last 10 years I have observed truck traffic has multiplied and post covid, personal vehicles too. We are going back to the olden days before these 4/6 lane highways, where it used to take 13-14 hours easily to just reach Kochi from BLR. Our infrastructure development is not in pace or future proof to anticipate and manage this traffic growth. Though it's happening, not at the right pace. The section of NH44 & NH544 needs a makeover ASAP making it signal free in KL section, barrier free toll gates, expanding the L&T byepass, and making it 6 lane whereover possible, at least the whole of TN section if land can be acquired.

This was one such year-end vacation that won't be forgotten easily, by many who used this highway to travel to & fro from KL, and possibly parts of TN . The joy of driving on this highway is waning fast and its more of an anxiety, "when" you will reach the destination. It's not too far away that even hardcore enthusiasts might stick with overnight trains and buses. Hope I am proven wrong, and things change for the better.
pms is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 14:15   #14609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
Traffic on NH44 & NH544 is increasing year on year. In the last 10 years I have observed truck traffic has multiplied and post covid, personal vehicles too. We are going back to the olden days before these 4/6 lane highways, where it used to take 13-14 hours easily to just reach Kochi from BLR. Our infrastructure development is not in pace or future proof to anticipate and manage this traffic growth. Though it's happening, not at the right pace. The section of NH44 & NH544 needs a makeover ASAP making it signal free in KL section, barrier free toll gates, expanding the L&T byepass, and making it 6 lane whereover possible, at least the whole of TN section if land can be acquired.

This was one such year-end vacation that won't be forgotten easily, by many who used this highway to travel to & fro from KL, and possibly parts of TN . The joy of driving on this highway is waning fast and its more of an anxiety, "when" you will reach the destination. It's not too far away that even hardcore enthusiasts might stick with overnight trains and buses. Hope I am proven wrong, and things change for the better.
The issue is with barricades on the highway that's creating bottlenecks, there are too many blockades created with no thought to safety. The permission to toll without completing the project is what has created this mess.

You're right, we'll be back to the old commute times in a few years, there's zero improvement, every district police has put their share of barricades to make traveling dangerous and slow. Kerala has lousy highways, TN has created them.
Old 15th January 2024, 15:35   #14610
BHPian

Hi team
I plan to drive to Kodaikanal this weekend. The planned route is Thrissur-Munnar-Kodaikanal. I want to experience the newly opened GAP road. I am aware of road conditions until Munnar. Please help me regarding road conditions from Munnar to Kodaikanal.
TIA

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks