Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2024, 08:53   #14611
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
Traffic on NH44 & NH544 is increasing year on year. In the last 10 years I have observed truck traffic has multiplied and post covid, personal vehicles too. We are going back to the olden days before these 4/6 lane highways, where it used to take 13-14 hours easily to just reach Kochi from BLR.
Curiously, the other day I was saying the same thing about driving to Calicut via BMEW. Whatever time gain is achieved with the expressway, a significant chunk of it is negated by the increased traffic on NH 766 between Mysore and Gundlupete and beyond. Over a few years, this effect will become more and more prominent (I do hope they have plans of further expanding NH 766).
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 10:01   #14612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
It's not too far away that even hardcore enthusiasts might stick with overnight trains and buses. Hope I am proven wrong, and things change for the better.
I would love to use overnight trains but the problem is that it's so hard to get tickets. There really is a lack of trains to be honest. Private bus providers actually scale up the service during peak season anyway but charge a bomb. Flights are ridiculously expensive these days. No wonder everyone is taking to car trips like never before.

FYI, we've been driving to Kerala for the past 16 years but now it's slower than 2009 when the 4 lane roads were completed only till Salem.

Last edited by Turbohead : 16th January 2024 at 10:04.
Old 16th January 2024, 13:25   #14613
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I would love to use overnight trains but the problem is that it's so hard to get tickets. There really is a lack of trains to be honest.
Rail infrastructure is clogged too in BLR - KL sector if am not wrong. Only so many trains can run on the existing infra unless the lines are tripled or quadrupled to add newer trains. New VB between BLR and Kovai takes close to 6.5hrs to cover 375Kms which is bit long, not sure whether its because of the speed restrictions or load on the sector.
Old 21st January 2024, 13:41   #14614
BHPian

[quote=radiacz;5699243]All planning a trip from pathanamthitta to Vellore .

option 2 : pathanamthitta - tenkasi- thriunelveli-madurai -dindigul-salem -krishnagiri- vellore

I did part of this stretch in the first week of December 2023. I started from Kottayam, went through Pathanamtitta, Punalur, Thenmala, Tenkasi and Madurai. Till Tenkasi, it was a two lane but not very busy road including the stretches in Kerala. Four laning work is on between Tenkasi and Tirunelveli (SH39) and you have to be careful of wrong side traffic, particularly two wheelers. Lots of flyovers under construction and hence small diversions. Just before Tirunelveli, Google maps suggested bypassing Tirunelveli through local roads. Then, after on NH 44, it was a four lane road to Madurai, very smooth and some speed cameras. I then proceeded to Thanjavur-Velankanii-Yercaud and got on the Salem-Bangalore road at Thoppur. It was a good four lane stretch (flyovers are often 6lane) till Krishnagiri. Hope this helps.
Old 26th January 2024, 23:39   #14615
BHPian

Need clarity on bangalore to Guruvayoor which is best going via thrissur or deviate from Palakkad, a friend is driving tomorrow morning.
Old 27th January 2024, 14:44   #14616
BHPian

Planning a drive to Ettumanoor, Pala, both Kottayam Dt. Typical start time around 4AM.

So far we have taken the usual route BLR-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Kottayam. Except once via Munnar!!

Please let me know if BLR-Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Thrissur-Pala is an option worth considering looking at driving time, road condition and traffic. Would be driving a diesel automatic, and I don't like to go beyond 90 kmph.
Old 27th January 2024, 14:44   #14617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
Need clarity on bangalore to Guruvayoor which is best going via thrissur or deviate from Palakkad, a friend is driving tomorrow morning.
Best way is Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shornur-Wadakancherry-Kunamkulam-Guruvayur. Not much traffic and the roads are good.
pram_ind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 15:00   #14618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pram_ind View Post
Best way is Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shornur-Wadakancherry-Kunamkulam-Guruvayur. Not much traffic and the roads are good.
A slightly better option currently is
Palakkad-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakkara-Wadakancherry-Kunamkulam-Guruvayur.
The Alathur-Chelakkara road works have been completed recently and in very good shape
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 23:41   #14619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Planning a drive to Ettumanoor, Pala, both Kottayam Dt. Typical start time around 4AM.

Please let me know if BLR-Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Thrissur-Pala is an option worth considering looking at driving time, road condition and traffic. Would be driving a diesel automatic, and I don't like to go beyond 90 kmph.
Had gone on this route in 1st week of Dec 2023.
The route is no doubt scenic. Fast ride up to Gundlupet if using the Mysore expressway. Then on it is a slower ride; two lane till Trichur, first, through the Bandipur forest with humps every 500ms, the bad sections at TN Kerala border, ghat section, and the crowded Nilambur to Trichur stretch.
If you are in no hurry, you can go for this route as it avoids the monotony of the 4 lane route via Salem. Your can expect an average speed from Gundulpet to Trichur of around 40-50 km/h. Road has potholes for around 10 km near the TN/KL border and the rest is not smooth but OK.
tomchacks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 21:36   #14620
BHPian

Friends, Please suggest a best route, in terms of good quality and facilities, from Thammarasery to Guruvayur.

Thanks!
Old 4th February 2024, 11:59   #14621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
Friends, Please suggest a best route, in terms of good quality and facilities, from Thammarasery to Guruvayur.

Thanks!

Thamarassery- Oamasseri - Mukkam - Areekode - Manjeri - Mankada - Thiroorkad - Angadippuram - Cherattamala - Malarod junction - Kutti para - left to Natyamangalam - Prabhapuram - right to Vilayur - Koppam - Pattambi - Koottanad - Perimbilav - Kunnamkulam - Guruvayur.

Don't forget to take left at Kuttippara, Pulamanthole bridge is closed for repair. Almost all roads are in good condition.
Bonemechanic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 16:30   #14622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post

So far we have taken the usual route BLR-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Kottayam. Except once via Munnar!!

As suggested by many, travelled 2AC to KTYM and returned to BLR. Stressfree journey and a good nights sleep, what more to ask? Tatkal tickets were available both ways. At KTYM, borrowed my uncle's car for local travel.

Last edited by xotiq : 4th February 2024 at 16:31.
xotiq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 19:16   #14623
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have stopped driving to any destination in Kerala from 2010.For a very frequent driver to Kerala which is Mom"s place and for one who lives in Erode, just 150 kms from the Kerala border, this was very much a planned deviation.
I just could not handle the not so wide roads and the traffic along with the unusually long drive times involved. My Erode-Bengaluru drives had spoilt me rotten and I, as a rule, take the overnight train.
It reduces a lot of stress and saves me the day of drive which I was beginning to dread anyway.
Old 7th February 2024, 10:11   #14624
BHPian

Planning a roadtrip during March first week from Bangalore to Coimbatore via Satyakala (did this a year back and it was fabulous). After a couple of nights halt in Coimbatore, planning a road trip into Kerala up to Kanyakumari. The tentative route is:

Coimbatore - Munnar - Thekkady/Periyar National Park - Vagamom - Cochin - Kumarakom/Aleppey - Varkala - Trivandrum - Kovalam - KanyaKumari - Namakkal - Bangalore.

1. Is this route/itinerary good or can be improved?

2. Are the roads en-route good and traffic easy?

3. Suggested night halts and number of days/nights to spend at each.

4. Any other pertinent information I should keep in mind.

Thanks in advance for all input.
Old 21st February 2024, 09:43   #14625
BHPian

Hi fellow TBHPians,

I'm planning a Bangalore - Shoranur trip on this saturday. I think there are poorams (Chinakkathur,mainly) during this period and Palakkad--Ottappalam stretch may have traffic blocks,diversions etc.

So, is it a good idea to take Mysore-Nadugani-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna route for a smooth ride? Anyone travelled recently on that route up-to Pattambi? Please share your feedback.

Panning to start by 6AM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks