Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2014, 11:30   #7111
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
... Also, TN police has set up a couple of check points that adds to traffic backing up quite a bit.
Those "choke-points" set up by TN police are simply put, unnecessary. Once, Our car was flagged down at the check-post after the Nandi statue (while going towards CBE). We were visiting a relative and we had a jackfruit (that had grown in our yard), in the boot. And there was the usual tool kit and some old news papers also. The cop, an arrogant one at that, made me stop before I could get down from the road (causing inconvenience to other vehicles) and demanded that I open the boot for checking. While he was suspiciously looking in the boot, I sarcastically told my dad, in Tamil, that these days people carry WMDs inside jackfruits, and that too in small hatchbacks. Perhaps he understood the sarcasm and quickly shut the boot door and asked us to leave.

On another instance, a friend was stopped and his car searched thoroughly. Only to find a soiled lottery ticket that was past its draw date. He had to bribe the cop some 300 rupees to get out, because they insisted that it was against the law to carry any form of lottery tickets into TN territory.

Those imbeciles simply watch the traffic build up at the unnecessary check-post there, and only add to the woes instead of regulating the traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
Journey back was easy except the Hosur - Bangalore stretch
You can consider the Dharmapuri-Rayakottai-Palacode-Kelamangalam-TVS-Attibele route. Unless I decide to tank up at Shoolagiri HP fuel station, I take this route.
Old 21st July 2014, 13:51   #7112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thats Hotel Host International(nothing international about the hotel though)
I would tend to agree since we did not get any breakfast items (even at 11.00 am) and just made do with tea/coffee . However the toilets were clean (maybe the only "international" touch there ), which is what we need
in that stretch .
Old 21st July 2014, 14:32   #7113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
I would tend to agree since we did not get any breakfast items (even at 11.00 am) and just made do with tea/coffee . However the toilets were clean (maybe the only "international" touch there ), which is what we need
in that stretch .
True!

By and large the hotels in Kerala attach an international to their names to indirectly let the people know that there is a bar attached to it and the scenes after 4pm in all the International hotels are very local-sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 18:13   #7114
Senior - BHPian

I did Coimbatore to Thrissur around ten days back which was when the checkpost issue was going on with news that trucks were lined up till the end of CBE bypass.

I must say that, the stretch was not as bad or annoying as I expected it to be. The last I did the route was 3 years back and then it was very different.
Although road expansion was going on and with constant rain or drizzle, I enjoyed the drive.
One factor that I think helped me was the news of the major jam at the checkpost which would have made many take an alternate route. Because of which I felt traffic was on the lower side.
I left CBE around 2p and the same morning all the trucks were let through, so there was just a small section which had trucks parked for few hundred meters on the left lane of a divided section.
There were some areas were the flyover work was taking place and there were deviations and few sections were the roads were bumpy due to the patchwork done.
Overall, I did not feel the need to take an alternate route and did the journey in 3 hours.
Spotting McDonalds in between all this was a pleasant surprise.

Like I said, maybe I got lucky and traffic was on the lower side.
Nearing Thrissur, we hit the truck traffic that was let off earlier from the checkpost and since they were all moving in convoy's, that was a pain clear to them.

Must say that the road conditions have improved in Kerala from what I noticed in the last few trips.
Thrissur to Calicut was a blast , with low traffic since it was a Sunday morning and well paved /marked roads all the way.

Last edited by tharian : 21st July 2014 at 18:15.
Old 22nd July 2014, 22:55   #7115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Thrissur to Calicut was a blast , with low traffic since it was a Sunday morning and well paved /marked roads all the way.
Any idea how well the speed cameras installed in Thrissur-Kuttippuram state highway are functioning? Despite the cameras, still keep hearing news of many accidents in that stretch.
Old 23rd July 2014, 06:51   #7116
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
Any idea how well the speed cameras installed in Thrissur-Kuttippuram state highway are functioning? Despite the cameras, still keep hearing news of many accidents in that stretch.
There have been news reports that after Rishiraj Singh moved out things are changing for the worse!

Regardless of the status of the high-speed cameras I would advice you to maintain speeds within the posted limits.
I think on the NH 47 sections where the speed limits are enforced with high-speed cameras it is 85kmph.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd July 2014 at 06:54.
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:42   #7117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Route is ok.no major problems anywhere,the usual rough surfaces here and there but nothing alarming yet.Update as of two weeks earlier to now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Nadugani-Vazhikadavu was relaid few months back.
I instead took the Kozhikode-Edappal-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur route. Excellent roads, except for some potholes between Calicut university and Chelari.
Also, Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur road is in bad condition, but then, that was some 7km to Mammiyoor.
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:56   #7118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
I instead took the Kozhikode-Edappal-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur route. Excellent roads, except for some potholes between Calicut university and Chelari.

Also, Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur road is in bad condition, but then, that was some 7km to Mammiyoor.

Come rains and kunnamkulam mamiyoor has to go bad.its been like that since eternity!

Old 25th July 2014, 08:05   #7119
BHPian

I'm traveling to Wayanad (Kalpetta) from Bengaluru tomorrow 5 AM. Any advises on the routes would be of immense help.
Old 25th July 2014, 08:17   #7120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
I'm traveling to Wayanad (Kalpetta) from Bengaluru tomorrow 5 AM. Any advises on the routes would be of immense help.
Where in Waynad? North or south? If you are heading to Bathery/Kalpetta, then take the Kanakpura road. Kanakpura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Bathery.

If you are heading towards Kutta/Tholpetty, then Mysore/Hunsur/Gonikoppal would be a better option.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 08:41   #7121
BHPian

Quote:
Most probably you will meet a white and a black duster on the way if you are going towards Thalassery.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 25th July 2014 at 08:45.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 10:24   #7122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

5am stick to the normal bangalore mysore road especially if you are looking at eating something enroute.roads all fine into wayanad

ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 11:55   #7123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm traveling to Wayanad (Kalpetta) from Bengaluru tomorrow 5 AM.
If possible try to advance your travel time a bit.

From my past experiences, by around 06.00 AM traffic increases exponentially on Mysore road. I am not sure where in Bangalore you are starting from. However considering that you may take sometime to get out of Bangalore, it may be best to advance the time if possible.

Also, once you cross Gundulpet be on look out for dug up roads. These are near village crossings, I guess instead of creating speed breakers they have dub up the road horizontally. It is somewhat difficult to notice.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 12:00   #7124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even with 5am start, stick to regular Mysore road. Traffic eases after Bidadi and you can cross Mysore by 7.30am easily.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 12:11   #7125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
If possible try to advance your travel time a bit.

Also, once you cross Gundulpet be on look out for dug up roads. These are near village crossings, I guess instead of creating speed breakers they have dub up the road horizontally. It is somewhat difficult to notice.
They have covered up most of it from my last trip 2 weeks ago. I think there is just one I noticed which was partially covered.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks