Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 15:05   #7171
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
is this what you suggest for the last leg?
Almost there. I recommend this:
http://goo.gl/maps/14ALC

Pollachi - Kollengode - Nenmara - Vadakkenchery - Mannuthy

It's a wee bit shorter, and you'd find lighter traffic on the Kollengode-Nenmara-Vadakkenchery stretch, compared to Kollengode-Alathur-Vdcy.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 15:26   #7172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Thanks all for your directions. Really appreciate the help.

Silversteed, Thanks. So, is this what you suggest for the last leg?
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Th...3!2d10.6572737
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Almost there. I recommend this:
http://goo.gl/maps/14ALC

Pollachi - Kollengode - Nenmara - Vadakkenchery - Mannuthy

It's a wee bit shorter, and you'd find lighter traffic on the Kollengode-Nenmara-Vadakkenchery stretch, compared to Kollengode-Alathur-Vdcy.
Geo, Kollangode-Vadakkancherry is in good condition. If you follow the main road, you will reach Vadakkancherry via Nenmara. For Alathur, you have to take a right at Kollangode.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 15:43   #7173
Geo
BHPian

Thanks dudes. So it is Pollachi - Kollengode - Nenmara - Vadakkenchery - Mannuthy

Thank you!
Old 7th August 2014, 13:38   #7174
BHPian

Hi Folks,
Looking for suggestions for a Kerala roadtrip from Bangalore.

3 families, 2 cars (Tjet and Ecosport), kids in 7-15 age group, (all love good long drives and have been to hill stations like Coorg, Yercaud, Ooty, Kodai). This time round - we are looking to bask in Kerela's glory and absorb the culture in all its beauty and for some tasty Veg food. The closest we have been to Kerala is Wayanad.

We have 8n/9d days to explore. If possible we would like to do it in 7n/8d, so we can rest 1 day back at home. Time period is last week Sept to 1st week Oct.

I looked through the forums to make few notes and this is what i have gathered so far.
Name:  KLA2.png
Views: 540
Size:  22.4 KB

Looking for suggestions on these -
  • Good idea to start with Munnar or should we consider the reverse?
  • We are keen to stay in a tree-house at least for a night. Any suggestions?
  • Any estate bungalows suggestion? Budget 3-4k / night. As long as accommodation is clean, good veg food and pleasant view, will be great. Hence, even homestays will work great.
  • Is it worth the long drive to Varkala? Have been told the beaches are beautiful.
  • Kumarkom / Alleppey or both?
  • Confused with how to go about making the return journey. Was thinking of visiting Fort Kochi and halting a night before heading back to Bangalore. There was a suggestion to visit Anthirapally Falls on-route back. But looks hectic and might require a break in the return journey.

Any views greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.
Cheers!
Old 7th August 2014, 14:24   #7175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
[*]Good idea to start with Munnar or should we consider the reverse?[*]We are keen to stay in a tree-house at least for a night. Any suggestions?[*]Any estate bungalows suggestion? Budget 3-4k / night. As long as accommodation is clean, good veg food and pleasant view, will be great. Hence, even homestays will work great.[*]Is it worth the long drive to Varkala? Have been told the beaches are beautiful.[*]Kumarkom / Alleppey or both?[*]Confused with how to go about making the return journey. Was thinking of visiting Fort Kochi and halting a night before heading back to Bangalore. There was a suggestion to visit Anthirapally Falls on-route back. But looks hectic and might require a break in the return journey.[/list]
Any views greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.
Cheers!
1. I think you can start with Munnar itself.
2. Tree House/Estate bunglow, I will PM you a number. You may check with them (Tree house available in Munnar, not posh though)
3. Varkala is good place but it may be raining. Since you have time, include in your itinerary.
4. I prefer Alleppey over Kumarakom for its backwater and countryside view.
5. You can spend one day at Kochi for sight seeing/shopping.
6. You can visit Athirapally while returning to Bangalore. Its monsoon and falls will be good. You will need hardly two hours. You may pack breakfast and have it at Athirapally !

Last edited by coolclouds : 7th August 2014 at 14:38.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 15:33   #7176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
Hi Folks,

Looking for suggestions on these -[*]Is it worth the long drive to Varkala? Have been told the beaches are beautiful.[*]Kumarkom / Alleppey or both?[*]Confused with how to go about making the return journey. Was thinking of visiting Fort Kochi and halting a night before heading back to Bangalore. There was a suggestion to visit Anthirapally Falls on-route back. But looks hectic and might require a break in the return journey.[/list]
2 nights at both Varkala and Alleppey would be an overkill. Varkala beach is of course beautiful - You can spend an evening and reach Alleppey by night. I prefer Kumarakom over Alleppey. But since you have time, you can cover both

Sept end - Oct first week may not be rainy. Best time to visit, actually
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 10:20   #7177
BHPian

Hi guys. I am planning to drive to Calicut from Chennai this month end. Can you guys suggest the best and scenic route for the said drive.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th August 2014, 10:37   #7178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTH1987 View Post
Hi guys. I am planning to drive to Calicut from Chennai this month end. Can you guys suggest the best and scenic route for the said drive.

Thanks in advance.

Chennai-Krishnagiri-Bangalore(by-pass from Hosur Road to Mysore road taking Nice road)-Mysore-Gundalpet-Waynad-Calicut. This road is good if you wanna enjoy the drive.
I have heard there are some alternate routes between Bangalore and Gundalpet but haven't tried those yet. The route above is worth the ride anyways.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 10:49   #7179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Chennai-Krishnagiri-Bangalore(by-pass from Hosur Road to Mysore road taking Nice road)-Mysore-Gundalpet-Waynad-Calicut. This road is good if you wanna enjoy the drive.
I have heard there are some alternate routes between Bangalore and Gundalpet but haven't tried those yet. The route above is worth the ride anyways.
Thanks Ajay. I have driven the Calicut-Wayanad-Mysore-Bangalore many times and also Bangalore-Chennai last week. So I was looking for a new route to explore. Any idea about the Chennai-salem-erode-palakkad-perithalmanna-calicut route. Though roads become worse once we enter our beloved Kerala i heard
Old 8th August 2014, 10:58   #7180
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ajay. I have driven the Calicut-Wayanad-Mysore-Bangalore many times and also Bangalore-Chennai last week. So I was looking for a new route to explore. Any idea about the Chennai-salem-erode-palakkad-perithalmanna-calicut route. Though roads become worse once we enter our beloved Kerala i heard

Anytime! I usually take the Chennai-Bangalore-Calicut route and occasionally take the Salem-Coimbatore-Palghat route. Last month I had taken the Palghat route and repented the decision. Should have taken the Bangalore route itself. Then there is the Chennai-Pondicherry-Salem route which I have used couple of times too. But that was many years back and the 4 lane work was just progressing in many areas. Don't know the condition of that road now. Safe bet is the road you have always taken I think. The Bangalore route. Also, other routes are nowhere near as scenic as the Waynad route. Just be a little light footed once you enter waynad for the twisty roads so that the passengers (if any) enjoy the ride and don't end up with a head ache when you arrive Calicut.
Old 8th August 2014, 10:59   #7181
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Chennai-Krishnagiri-Bangalore(by-pass from Hosur Road to Mysore road taking Nice road)-Mysore-Gundalpet-Waynad-Calicut.
Quote:
So I was looking for a new route to explore. Any idea about the Chennai-salem-erode-palakkad-perithalmanna-calicut route. Though roads become worse once we enter our beloved Kerala i heard

By all means I would say take the Salem/Palakkad option.

Chennai-Ulundurpet-salem-Avinashi-Pollachi-Palakad-Perithalmanna-Calicut
Old 8th August 2014, 11:01   #7182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though roads become worse once we enter our beloved Kerala i heard
Walayar - Palakkad : 4 lane work in progress and the sections where the work has not started are a mess (though very less)

Palakkad -Mannarkad : Has deteriorated at many places post monsoon

Mannarkad - Calicut : Good
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 11:21   #7183
BHPian

Quote:
. Last month I had taken the Palghat route and repented the decision. Should have taken the Bangalore route itself.
Is it because of bad road condition or traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
By all means I would say take the Salem/Palakkad option.

Chennai-Ulundurpet-salem-Avinashi-Pollachi-Palakad-Perithalmanna-Calicut
Thanks Ampere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

Palakkad -Mannarkad : Has deteriorated at many places post monsoon

Mannarkad - Calicut : Good
Thanks. Can we not avoid the Palakkad-Manarkkad-calicut route and take Palakkad- Cherpulassery-Perithalmanna-Calicut route?
What do you think
Old 8th August 2014, 11:24   #7184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Can we not avoid the Palakkad-Manarkkad-calicut route and take Palakkad- Cherpulassery-Perithalmanna-Calicut route?
What do you think
Not in the best of conditions now. Also the road as such is a typical Kerala interior road with bouncy and undulating surface. Very difficult to touch even 50 in that kind of road
Old 8th August 2014, 11:39   #7185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
A semi scenic option would be:
  • Salem-Perundurai-Palladam-Pollachi-Chittoor-Koduvayur-Kuzhalmannam-Kottayi-Mankara-Ottapalam-Pattambi-Valanchery-University-Calicut (This would take you through the heart of Palakkad district and is a good drive). Roads are great throughout (unless last months rains have messed it up)
  • Really scenic option would be Salem-Sathyamangalam-Dimbam Ghats- CHamrajnagar-Gundlepet-Bandipur Forest-Bathery-Kalpetta-Calicut. But with 2 ghats, forest sections and hilly areas. It will definitely take you longer. And since you have driver the Wayanad route many times, probably does not make sense

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 8th August 2014 at 11:40.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed