Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2014, 14:40   #7156
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Anybody has information on the condition of Bangalore -> HD Kote -> Mananthavadi route? Road conditions were quite bad 3-4 years back and I am uncomfortable trying this again in a car with low ground clearance. The good thing about this route is that it is only 279 kms in Google maps.

The other route I consider is Bangalore -> Gundulpet -> Sulthan Bathery -> Mananthavadi. This road was in good condition an year back. Hopefully now also. It is a roundabout way compared to HD Kote route and involves an additional 60 kms (approx) from Google maps.
Seems like the Mananthavady road is good - See this post on another thread - here.
I don't expect the Sulthan Bathery road to be too bad now (due to monsoons), was excellent even 4 months ago.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 14:56   #7157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anybody has information on the condition of Bangalore -> HD Kote -> Mananthavadi route? Road conditions were quite bad 3-4 years back and I am uncomfortable trying this again in a car with low ground clearance.
HD Kote- Mananthavady stretch is good now, as per reports in an other forum: See the link where I had posted about the same: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3476148

Quote:
The other route I consider is Bangalore -> Gundulpet -> Sulthan Bathery -> Mananthavadi. This road was in good condition an year back. Hopefully now also.
Had read in a local newspaper few days ago that the Beenachi-Panamaram section of the Sultan Bathery - Mananthavady road is in bad condition with lot of potholes.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 15:02   #7158
Geo
BHPian

I will be travelling from Bangalore to Thrissur this Thursday. My car is kind of new and not an offroader. So would like to travel by the smoothest way. I don't mind travelling a little bit extra if the roads are better.

1. Are the Bangalore-Salem and Salem-Coimbatore stretches good now? Or are they too patchy? How are the roads after rain?
2. Should I go via Pollachy route right from Salem, or can I go to Pollachy from Coimbatore? Which route has better roads?
3. Are there any deadly potholed or un-drivable sections if we take the pollachy way?

Could you guys help me in deciding between these 2 routes?

Coimbatore - Pollachi - Vadakkencherry

Salem - Perundurai - Kangayam - Palladam - Pollachi-Vadakkencherry

Or

the one Ranjit mentioned just now -
Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur
Old 3rd August 2014, 16:25   #7159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anybody has information on the condition of Bangalore -> HD Kote -> Mananthavadi route? Road conditions were quite bad 3-4 years back and I am uncomfortable trying this again in a car with low ground clearance. The good thing about this route is that it is only 279 kms in Google maps.

The other route I consider is Bangalore -> Gundulpet -> Sulthan Bathery -> Mananthavadi. This road was in good condition an year back. Hopefully now also. It is a roundabout way compared to HD Kote route and involves an additional 60 kms (approx) from Google maps.

Any advice/suggestions?
A friend did Nanjangud-HD Kote-Kabini-Nagarahole Checkpost-Bavali-Mananthavady in the last week of July and he told me that roads were excellent to drive on.This was the route he took

https://goo.gl/maps/9ajzh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I will be travelling from Bangalore to Thrissur this Thursday. My car is kind of new and not an offroader. So would like to travel by the smoothest way. I don't mind travelling a little bit extra if the roads are better.

1. Are the Bangalore-Salem and Salem-Coimbatore stretches good now? Or are they too patchy? How are the roads after rain?
2. Should I go via Pollachy route right from Salem, or can I go to Pollachy from Coimbatore? Which route has better roads?
3. Are there any deadly potholed or un-drivable sections if we take the pollachy way?

Or

I would stick to Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Pallassana-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakara-Wadakancheri-Thrissur.

on the nh47 route after the L&T Bypass at CBE till Palakkad is bad to average to rough to patchy to good.Again road widening in progress between vadakkencheri to thrissur and hence I have been biased in my suggestions towards the alathur thrissur route.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 3rd August 2014 at 16:29.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 22:30   #7160
Senior - BHPian

Heard from a friend that the AC road is almost submerged (Alappuzha-Changanacherry road)owing to the heavy rains in the region.
Old 4th August 2014, 05:52   #7161
BHPian

Quote:
Krishnagiri till Coimbatore- Route is in excellent condition. Can not comment on the other stretches as I have not traveled on these routes recently. Just after komarapalayam toll where Toll route ends, a stretch up to around 100 meters or so will be patchy. Better watch out for the same if you are reaching there after dusk.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 08:31   #7162
Senior - BHPian

I did Ernakulam - Valparai on the weekend. The roads are in very good shape through out except for a 5KM bit in the middle after Sholayar.

Apparently, two contractors started from either side in Kerala and they never met. We started back early in the morning and a forest officer joined us and he told us this.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 09:10   #7163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Or

Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkanchery-Mannuthy-Trichur is smooth surface except for few humps and small towns.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 18:30   #7164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
How is Coimbatore - Pollachi strech? Is it safe to drive after dark to Vadakkenchery from Pollachi?
Quite safe IMO. I drove with family last month , and crossed the Pollachi -Vadakkenchery after 8.00 PM.
SAPVEN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 10:13   #7165
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's how Alleppey - changanacherry looks like .

"A tourist who was swimming in the backwaters realized at the last moment that he had gone too far and was swimming on the road".

Was lucky to avoid the bus.

PS - Dont know whether it's a joke but the road is like a pool now.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-1204_244_1928_1008.jpg  

Last edited by naveen.raju : 5th August 2014 at 10:15.
naveen.raju is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 13:22   #7166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Here's how Alleppey - changanacherry looks like

The road apparently was waterlogged in yesterday's rains (2 ft water). Most vernacular newspapers are reporting that this road has been closed for traffic since this morning.
Old 5th August 2014, 22:26   #7167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest you to take deviation from Salem towards Perundurai,Kangeyam,Palldam and Pollachi. You have very good 2L roads. In case you wish to take a break, you can drop in at Sakthi Hotels Pollachi.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 00:02   #7168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Heard from a friend that the AC road is almost submerged (Alappuzha-Changanacherry road)owing to the heavy rains in the region.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
"A tourist who was swimming in the backwaters realized at the last moment that he had gone too far and was swimming on the road".

Was lucky to avoid the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The road apparently was waterlogged in yesterday's rains
Here is the video version of the above picture .

sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 11:44   #7169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be travelling from Bangalore to Thrissur this Thursday...
I would go with the options recommended by coolclouds and ranjitp1. You really don't have to go via Wadakkanchery, as the NH-47 between Vadakkenchery and Mannuthy is good these days.

There's a rather rough patch of probably 100 metres just after the Chengapally bypass toll-road ends, towards Avinashi. While you may find the trucks and buses driving over it without any drama, smaller vehicles may end up with some serious suspension damage at their normal highway speeds. I've seen many spiritedly driven cars screeching to a slow pace on seeing this unexpected patch of bad road. So, watch out.

Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkanchery is excellent 2-lane road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
...take deviation from Salem towards Perundurai,Kangeyam,Palldam and Pollachi.
IMO, not necessary now, because the Mangalam ROB is open, and the Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam detour takes longer, especially the Chennimalai area can slow you down because of the town traffic and twists and turns.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 14:41   #7170
Geo
BHPian

Thanks all for your directions. Really appreciate the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
You really don't have to go via Wadakkanchery, as the NH-47 between Vadakkenchery and Mannuthy is good these days.
Silversteed, Thanks. So, is this what you suggest for the last leg?
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Th...3!2d10.6572737

Most Viewed