Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2024, 10:13   #14656

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi View Post
You could just re-check Google Maps when you hit Perumbavur. In case Kalady bridge is too busy, it will route you via Thiruvairanikulam bridge. On most days, it would still be faster than going via SH-15, unless you are travelling in the night.
Thanks, phi, we will be travelling by 10 am, would expect some traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
There are three bridges to the west (Vallam, Thiruvairanikulam, Thottumukham) and one to the east (Kodanad) of Kaladi bridge - and that is not counting the main NH544 bridge at Aluva. My preference would be to cut over to AM Road from MC Road reaching Kuruppampadi and then taking the Kodanad-Malayattoor-Manjapra route to Angamaly - this will bypass Perumbavoor also.

I have been hearing that the Kalady pile-up can potentially delay you by 1h+ these days.
Thanks binand, quite informative.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd April 2024 at 14:02. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 8th April 2024, 18:38   #14657
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hey guys,
Planning to travel from Irinjalakuda (Thrissur) to Trivandrum. Is MC Road the better option or should I take the highway route? Planning to leave by 5 AM on Friday.
Old 10th April 2024, 08:04   #14658
BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to drive down to Kerala (Alappuzha) from Bangalore this coming weekend. Considering upcoming elections, has anyone encountered election related checking in the below route recently?

E-City > Krishnagiri > Dharmapuri > Salem > Coimbatore > Walayar > Palakkad > Thrissur > Kochi > Cherthala > Alappuzha
Old 10th April 2024, 08:12   #14659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
has anyone encountered election related checking in the below route recently?

E-City > Krishnagiri > Dharmapuri > Salem > Coimbatore > Walayar > Palakkad > Thrissur > Kochi > Cherthala > Alappuzha
Surprisingly, I drove this route from Bangalore to Karukutty on Monday (8/4) and did not encounter a single checkpoint, election related or any other.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 12:20   #14660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I am planning to drive down to Kerala (Alappuzha) from Bangalore this coming weekend. Considering upcoming elections, has anyone encountered election related checking in the below route recently?

There were none on the national highway. We were stopped at Neriamangalam yesterday while on the way to Munnar
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 11:28   #14661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Surprisingly, I drove this route from Bangalore to Karukutty on Monday (8/4) and did not encounter a single checkpoint, election related or any other.
How are the roads now? I will be taking this route in another 2 weeks.
Old 14th April 2024, 17:23   #14662
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Considering upcoming elections, has anyone encountered election related checking in the below route recently?
Yes, did Bangalore Thrissur, last Saturday evening. Was stopped for checking after crossing Walayar border. Insisted on opening the boot and checking bags, despite us travelling with 2 babies. Was driving a KL registered vehicle. Noticed other election check points near Salem, but was not stopped there.
Old 15th April 2024, 09:31   #14663
Senior - BHPian

Drove Kalady to Bangalore on Vishu day, it was a very peaceful drive with a 4.30 am start to reach Bangalore at 1 pm with around 1 hour break. Noticed that almost all cars were stopped for election checking while entering Walayar from TN. Random vehicles were gettting checked just before the Thopper Ghats.
Old 16th April 2024, 14:33   #14664
pms
BHPian

Drove down to Kollam from BLR on 6th April (Sat) and returned on 14th Apr (Sun). Onward was via Salem-Dindigul-Tirumangalam-Shenkottai route and return was via Alleppey-Ekm-Salem route.

Onward journey was very tiring and took around 14.5 hours door to door including 2 breaks. Started bit late at 6:15AM and reached home in Kollam around 8:45PM. There was heavy traffic from BLR to Salem. Salem to Tirumangalam was relatively free and was covered quickly. But the roads from Tirumangalam to Shenkottai was in bad shape. There is road widening happening till Rajapalayam. Also the surface of the existing roads had chipped away. Has to drive carefully. Shenkottai to Kollam via Aryankavu, Thenmala was better, though there are some areas (esp near the arch bridges) where there are big potholes. There was a vehicle check near Karur as part of the upcoming elections.

In the onward journey I drove from Kollam to Ekm a day before and stayed at my in laws. Road widening work is happening this entire stretch and it took around 4 hrs to cover Kollam - Ekm. On 14th Apr, Vishu day, I started at 5:30AM from Ekm and reached BLR home by 2:15PM including one break. Very peaceful drive with less traffic. Nothing to write about this stretch barring some road works happening in TN. Luckily very less time spent on L&T tolls on the Coimbatore byepass which normally use to be a hell.
pms is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 15:41   #14665
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

There was no checking from KL to TN but there was checking on the TN to KL part last week. (Walayar route)

They insisted on opening the boot and checked my laptop bag and the glovebox.

They were checking all cars, irrespective of the registration.

Last edited by batterylow : 16th April 2024 at 15:42. Reason: Additional info
Old 22nd April 2024, 14:57   #14666
BHPian

How are the road conditions currently? Any major works going on currently?
We are planning to travel this weekend from Bangalore to Cochin.
Old 22nd April 2024, 15:06   #14667
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
How are the road conditions currently? Any major works going on currently?
We are planning to travel this weekend from Bangalore to Cochin.
No major hurdles in this route barring some expansion works in TN and L&T byepass near Coimbatore. Crossing this 30Kms of L&T byepass will take some time depending on the time and day.

Road conditions are smooth throughout. Only one portion of Kuthiran tunnel is operational now, but not a blocker. Depending on the time of the day you travel, you can expect good traffic from Paliyekara toll booth to Cochin. On a normal day you should be able to do this drive between 9-10 hours generally with one good break.
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 15:24   #14668
BHPian

Friends,

I am travelling to Thrissur from Balaramapuram with my family on April 30th. Kindly advise me the best route to take. I am planning to start 6am. Kindly suggest good vegetarian hotels as well along the route.

Last edited by SubramoniamAB : 22nd April 2024 at 15:27.
Old 22nd April 2024, 15:49   #14669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
No major hurdles in this route barring some expansion works in TN and L&T byepass near Coimbatore. Crossing this 30Kms of L&T byepass will take some time depending on the time and day.

Road conditions are smooth throughout. Only one portion of Kuthiran tunnel is operational now, but not a blocker. Depending on the time of the day you travel, you can expect good traffic from Paliyekara toll booth to Cochin. On a normal day you should be able to do this drive between 9-10 hours generally with one good break.
Thanks. I have done this multiple time in the past. Have not been able to do in the past year or so. The L&T by pass was being worked on last year too. Havent they completed it yet?
Old 22nd April 2024, 15:59   #14670
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubramoniamAB View Post
Friends,

I am travelling to Thrissur from Balaramapuram with my family on April 30th. Kindly advise me the best route to take. I am planning to start 6am. Kindly suggest good vegetarian hotels as well along the route.
My suggestion would be to stick to MC Road as the NH via Tvm-Kollam-Alleppey-Ekm is undergoing major expansion works. Stretch from Thuravoor to Edapally itself will take quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Thanks. I have done this multiple time in the past. Have not been able to do in the past year or so. The L&T by pass was being worked on last year too. Havent they completed it yet?
Not sure about the works you are mentioning here. There is no expansion work happening whatsoever. Its still the same old single lane with toll booths and signals peppered all the way. Its high time NHAI did something about this as its the only stretch with single lane plus heavy & dangerous traffic.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd April 2024 at 14:01. Reason: Back to back posts merged.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks