Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2023, 13:45   #14551
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Google Maps suggests that the below route!
Is this the correct route? How is the road condition?

Attachment 2544297

The road from Malakkappara to Athirappalli had restricted traffic due to a bridge collapse in October. Only essential services and small vehicles were allowed then. I'm unsure about the current condition.

All Roads to Kerala-img20231215wa0000.jpg
Bonemechanic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 21:49   #14552

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Hi folks

I am planning to travel from Bangalore to Ashtamudi between 20th and 26th. I will not do it at one stretch, prefer to break journey since family does not want to sit in the car for more than 6 hours at a stretch

Route 1 - Go via Coimbatore breaking journey at Coimbatore
Route 2 - Go via Dundigal and break journey there. We checked Madurai, but hotels are way too expensive

Given Sabarimala season was wondering which route to take. Also, have heard about supper gums etc in Kerala stretch as well

Can you folks suggest which route is best given my limitations
Thanks in advance
I would suggest to go with Route 2. For overnight stay at Dindigul, you could choose between Vivera Grand and Vari Park. And for the onward journey from Dindigul to Kollam (Ashtamudi), take the Kanyakumari highway till Kovil Patti and deviate towards Sankarankovil, Sengottai, Thenmala, Kulathoopuzha, Anchal, Ayoor, Kollam. This route should typically keep you away from the peak Sabarimala traffic.
QlnBlr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 11:13   #14553
BHPian

Hi All,
Planning to travel from Bangalore to Chengannur with a break in Kochi.
Any advice on road conditions or specific routes to avoid, please?

Plan is to leave on 24th Dec - starting at about 5.30 am
BLR - > Kochi via Salem -> Coimbatore, Palakkad

on 25th Dec - Start about 10 am.
Kochi to Chengannur.

Google map is suggesting
via Cherthala -> Alapauzha -> Changanassery -> Chengganur

The other option seems like via Paravoor -> Vaikom -> Kumarakom -> Nattakam -> Changanassery -> Chengannur.

both have similar times bout the second option seems like narrow roads?

Appreciate your help.
Thanks.
Old 17th December 2023, 13:34   #14554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Hi All,

Kochi to Chengannur.

Google map is suggesting

The other option seems like via Paravoor -> Vaikom -> Kumarakom -> Nattakam -> Changanassery -> Chengannur.

Thanks.
Last time I travelled from Tiruvalla to Kochi - we took Allepey - Changanassery route (kuttanad). The road work is almost complete and driving will be easy compared to Vaikom route. Roads around Kumarakom could get a bit choked due to tourist season too- but it would not be too bad either. Time wise will be more or less the same I guess.
kiranknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 19:39   #14555
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Need to travel to Thrissur on 23rd December from North Bangalore, in three cars. Originally planned to travel in TT, only to discover every available TT/Swaraj Mazda/Urbania are all booked until 5th January 2024! Revenge travel, anyone?!

Considering long week end, Sabarimala traffic, Christmas holiday rush and we can leave by 430 am, which route would your recommend, Via Mysore Gudalur or the NH via Coimbatore? And more inputs on convenience stoppages, food etc. very welcome.

Any thing lese to consider, given we are 3 kids of 14 years(1m, 2f) and rest all adults- 6 ladies? Cars are (likely from) Innova, Ertiga, Scala CVT and Nexon Auto.

Return in two cars on 25th December with 7 people, Ertiga wont be part on the return leg.

Thanks much.

Subbu.

Last edited by subbu567 : 17th December 2023 at 19:41.
Old 18th December 2023, 14:12   #14556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbu567 View Post
Need to travel to Thrissur on 23rd December from North Bangalore, in three cars. ...

long week end, Sabarimala traffic, Christmas holiday rush and we can leave by 430 am...
I would recommend taking the NH all along. Crowded, yes. But a lot of options for refreshment.

If you could positively start an hour earlier, you can take the Attibele - TVS - Royakottai - Palacode route to avoid the choke points aka toll-gates till Salem. You can set the destination as Sankagiri Toll gate once you're on the State Highways. The early start will help pax catch a wink while the drivers munch kilometres and be up right on time for a breakfast break.

Please avoid the Mysore-Gudallur route. It will tire you all down faster than you expect.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 15:10   #14557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
If you could positively start an hour earlier, you can take the Attibele - TVS - Royakottai - Palacode route to avoid the choke points aka toll-gates till Salem.
The Rayakkotai - Palacode stretch had road widening happening (part of Hosur Airport connectivity from south) when I travelled last time (beginning of the year). Any idea if they complete?

Quote:
Any thing lese to consider, given we are 3 kids of 14 years(1m, 2f) and rest all adults- 6 ladies? Cars are (likely from) Innova, Ertiga, Scala CVT and Nexon Auto.
As @silversteed mentioned, start early as possible. Avoid convoy, it can slow you down or put pressure on trailing driver. That means no need to start together. Decide a meeting place, maybe post Selam for breakfast. All eateries will likely be crowded, so plan accordingly.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 22:28   #14558

Hello folks
My wife and i are driving down to Kerala for Christmas on the 21st morning from Mumbai to Kochi in our 4-year old Volvo XC40.
Of course we are doing an overnight halt in North Goa on 21st evening.
Next morning at 5.30am we plan to head out from North Goa to do another overnight stay
at Kannur on 22nd and get out again in the wee hours to head for Kochi on 23rd morning.

Any recommendations for food joints along the way and most definitely on 22nd at Kannur - I am a carnivore and would love to dig into some delicious biryani - any reccos would be very much appreciated.

How is the Goa- Kannur - Kochi stretch? Any leads and pointers would be great.
Thanks.
Old 19th December 2023, 09:55   #14559
Senior - BHPian

My friend is travelling from Vythiri to Thiruvalla on Xmas eve. Google is showing below options

1. Kunnamangalam - Kozhikode bypass - Guruvayoor - Paalarivattom - Aalapuzha

2. Malappuram - Perinthalmanna - Thrissur - Anakamaly - Kottayam

3. Adivaram - Kodenchery - Thiruvamabady skipping Thamarasery to join Mukkam and then join Option 2

Please suggest the best option considering the ongoing road work and the holiday traffic. Ride is a Scorpio and GC is not an issue, but the road surface condition matters
Old 19th December 2023, 10:52   #14560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Hi All,
Planning to travel from Bangalore to Chengannur with a break in Kochi.
Any advice on road conditions or specific routes to avoid, please?

Plan is to leave on 24th Dec - starting at about 5.30 am
BLR - > Kochi via Salem -> Coimbatore, Palakkad

Kochi to Chengannur.

Google map is suggesting

Appreciate your help.
Thanks.
Kochi - Chengannur will be slow depending on the time you travel. If it's after 9am, Kochi - Aroor - Alleppey will slow you down thanks to the elevated flyover construction happening between Aroor - Thuravoor. I had gone to Chengannur via Aroor - Amabalapuzha - Thiruvalla couple of months back and that was good (Kuttanad road was under construction that time).

If it's after 9am, I would prefer Vaikom route although that can be crowded and winding as well.

Quote:
Hello Folks,

Need to travel to Thrissur on 23rd December from North Bangalore, in three cars. Originally planned to travel in TT, only to discover every available TT/Swaraj Mazda/Urbania are all booked until 5th January 2024! Revenge travel, anyone?!

Considering long week end, Sabarimala traffic, Christmas holiday rush and we can leave by 430 am, which route would your recommend, Via Mysore Gudalur or the NH via Coimbatore? And more inputs on convenience stoppages, food etc. very welcome.

Since it's till Thrissur, go with the usual NH route. Start a bit early to beat the rush while existing Bangalore. It can be really crowded as I usually travel from Cochin to Bangalore during this time and I notice the rush on the other side of the road.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 19th December 2023 at 11:05.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 12:02   #14561

Kochi to Puducherry/Pondicherry Route ?

Hello, Has anyone done a Kochi to Puducherry road trip recently? Any advice to share. I am looking to travel with family this Christmas.
Google shows me three routes, 1) through Pollachi 2) through Coimbatore- Salem and 3) through NH 81.

Any advise is welcome.
Thankyou. Much appreciated.
Old 19th December 2023, 13:18   #14562
BHPian

Hello Guys, we are leaving for Vythiri in Wayanad from Bangalore on 26th December and looking for route recommendations and places to eat on the way.

Also please suggest the way back (if it's going to be different from the one that was taken to reach there)

Last edited by jatinbindra : 19th December 2023 at 13:19. Reason: Title change
Old 19th December 2023, 16:12   #14563
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinbindra View Post
Hello Guys, we are leaving for Vythiri in Wayanad from Bangalore on 26th December and looking for route recommendations and places to eat on the way.
You can find updated inputs on this route in these threads.

Wayand route (Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation)

Calicut route (Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries)

Route : Mysore - Gundlupet- Sulthan Battery - Kalpetta -Vythiri.

This is the fastest route, and straight forward. Would suggest you start early and cross over to KL before breakfast time. It takes roughly 3 hours from start of Mysore road / NICE exit to Bandipur forest checkpost.
Old 19th December 2023, 18:20   #14564
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kochi to Puducherry/Pondicherry Route ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.zahid View Post
Hello, Has anyone done a Kochi to Puducherry road trip recently?
I have not done it recently but I would take the Salem route since it is much wider and faster roads and even from Kochi if you start little early traffic is reasonable to exit Kerala.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 19:30   #14565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
My friend is travelling from Vythiri to Thiruvalla on Xmas eve. Google is showing below options

1. Kunnamangalam - Kozhikode bypass - Guruvayoor - Paalarivattom - Aalapuzha

2. Malappuram - Perinthalmanna - Thrissur - Anakamaly - Kottayam

3. Adivaram - Kodenchery - Thiruvamabady skipping Thamarasery to join Mukkam and then join Option 2

Please suggest the best option considering the ongoing road work and the holiday traffic. Ride is a Scorpio and GC is not an issue, but the road surface condition matters

Vythiri - Adivaram - Kodencheri - Mukkam - Areekode - Manjeri - Perinthalmanna -Pattambi - Thirumitticode-Chittanda - Kulang unnatha - Thrissur - Mannuthi Chalakkudi -Angamali - MC road will be better.

Expect a lot of traffic in MC road,as it is Christmas holidays and there is a traffic diversion to MC Road due to the elevated highway construction at the Aroor-Thuravoor stretch.
Bonemechanic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks