Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2023, 12:32   #14431
BANNED

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
(Bangalore) to Kerala (Chengannur area). what would be the best options please. Also anything to watch out for.

1. Bangalore -> Salem -> Coimbatore -> Kochi -> Alapuzha -> Chengannur (12+hrs)
You'll be entering Kerala late afternoon on a Friday. So, best would be to stay away from Kochi. Take Trichur - Angamaly - MC Road.

Because Aroor - Thuravoor stretch is seeing snaps due to construction of a 16 or so km long overpass standing on pillars at the center of the existing road. And Cherthala - Alappuzha is being widened.The AC Road work is still in progress.MC road is the lesser evil. Take break at either Chalakudy or Angamaly since you'll be leaving the 4 lane divided Highway from Angamaly.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 15:11   #14432
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
Planning to travel to Kerala in the first week of July (likely on Friday) early morning (about 5.30am) from HSR area (Bangalore) to Kerala (Chengannur area). what would be the best options please. Also anything to watch out for.

3. via Diandigul -> Theni -> Kumali (about 11 to 14 hours), with heavy rains I am worried about this section
I'd suggest this route. I'm from Pathanamthitta and that's the route I always take. In fact, it's one of my favorite routes. I usually take ~12.5 hours, including breaks. The driving time would be ~11 hours.

I'm not sure if you have traveled on this route before but will break it down.

Bangalore to Salem: 200 km/3.5 - 4 hours.
Salem to Dindigul: 170 km/2-2.5 hours - The best stretch, my average speed there is close to 80kmph. A lot better than the crowded Salem-Coimbatore NH.
Dindigul to Kumily Lower Camp - 140 km/2.5 hours - Very similar to MC Road but mostly straight, the average speed is around 60kmph.
Kumily Lower Camp to Erumeli - 70 km/2.5 hours - This is the slowest stretch, narrow winding roads, and one needs to be more careful. If it rains, be even more careful but anyways the average speed would be ~30kmph.
Erumeli to Pathanamthitta - 30 km/45 mins. It'd be 45 km/1.15 hours for you.

Though the Kumily-Erumeli stretch is slow, it's much better than traffic blocks and crowded highways. If you want to break the journey into two days, you can find decent stay options in Karur/Dindigul. Sometimes we start in the afternoon and halt at Karur/Dindigul.

Quote:
Also please let me know the condition of the Alapuzha -> Changanessery by pass (is this complete & open now?)
It's open I think but still under construction. I planned to take that route to drive toward Kochi the last month. But changed the plan after seeing a few videos. Then I took the Thiruvalla-Ambalapuzha road and it's in good condition. Though not a straight stretch like the AC road, It took only ~1 hour to reach the Alappuzha area from Thiruvalla.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 25th June 2023 at 15:16.
robincsamuel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 10:05   #14433
avk
BHPian

Folks, any suggestions for a good lunch place between Dindigul and Tirunelveli on the highway? Doing a BLR-TRV trip in the second weekend of July.

Also are the speed cameras working on that stretch in TN?

Thanks,
Old 30th June 2023, 10:28   #14434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
Folks, any suggestions for a good lunch place between Dindigul and Tirunelveli on the highway? Doing a BLR-TRV trip in the second weekend of July.

Also are the speed cameras working on that stretch in TN?

Thanks,
We typically stop at Hari's (immediately after the Madurai toll gate on the opposite side) (https://goo.gl/maps/NtgqQshHmYtm4Nhb9) for lunch.

Temple City (multiple locations are there along the highway) is another option; but I have found the service to be very bad there and the interiors to be very claustrophobic.
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 17:18   #14435
M35
BHPian

What is the best option to Bandipur from Kongad in Palakkad? Perinthalmanna to Nilambur to Bandipur via Vazhikkadav is what comes to my mind. Need the best road conditions. Setting off early in the morning from Kongad. Any update on the road conditions will be appreciated.
Old 4th July 2023, 20:00   #14436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
What is the best option to Bandipur from Kongad in Palakkad? Perinthalmanna to Nilambur to Bandipur via Vazhikkadav is what comes to my mind. Need the best road conditions. Setting off early in the morning from Kongad. Any update on the road conditions will be appreciated.
Or you can take Attapadi,Mulli,Ooty, Gudallur,Mudumali, Bandipur route
Bonemechanic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 20:48   #14437
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemechanic View Post
Or you can take Attapadi,Mulli,Ooty, Gudallur,Mudumali, Bandipur route
Driving with Family with a Child. Don't want to adventure a lot. Need a good breakfast stop. Not sure which route might be more appropriate
Old 4th July 2023, 21:27   #14438
BHPian

Quote:
Driving with Family with a Child. Don't want to adventure a lot. Need a good breakfast stop. Not sure which route might be more appropriate
Then the best route is the one you mentioned.
Kongad-Perinthalmanna - Pandikkad-Nilambur-vazhikkadav-Nadugani-Gudallore-Mudumalai-Bandipur.

Kongad-Kanjikulam-Mannarkkad- Perinthalmanna is with good road.
Or you can take a detour from Mannarkkad-Alanalloor-Melattur-Pandikkad-Nilambur.

Kongad-Sreekrishnapuram road in under work.
Up to the Kerala border, the road is in good condition. On the Tamil Nadu side, it was mentioned that a recent new layer of tarring has been done.

There is so any good restaurants at Perinthalmanna,Nilambur, Vazhikkadav and Gudallore area.

Last edited by Bonemechanic : 4th July 2023 at 21:32. Reason: Adding more info
Bonemechanic is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 21:29   #14439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the best option to Bandipur from Kongad in Palakkad?
Quote:
Driving with Family with a Child.
Via Nilambur and Nadugani churam. No need for any confusion. Depending on how it works out for you, you can try Kongad > Mannarkkad > Alanallur > Pandikkad > Nilambur or Kongad > Perinthalmanna > Pattikkad > Pandikkad > Nilambur.

I have a KTDC Tamarind in Nilambur bookmarked in my highway food options list.

Last edited by binand : 4th July 2023 at 21:30.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 21:36   #14440
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Via Nilambur and Nadugani churam. No need for any confusion. Depending on how it works out for you, you can try Kongad > Mannarkkad > Alanallur > Pandikkad > Nilambur or Kongad > Perinthalmanna > Pattikkad > Pandikkad > Nilambur.

I have a KTDC Tamarind in Nilambur bookmarked in my highway food options list.
I too had that KTDC on my radar! A 5:30 am start would have us reach the Tamarind in Nilabur around 8:00/8:30 am which is perfect. Hope the road conditions to Gudalur is fine.

Is the Palakkad- Ooty- Masinagudi- Bandipur route viable or worth considering for the additional scenic opportunities?
Old 5th July 2023, 07:07   #14441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the Palakkad- Ooty- Masinagudi- Bandipur route viable or worth considering for the additional scenic opportunities?
It will take you much, much longer. You have to cross Coimbatore city, climb up the super-crowded Mettupalayam-Coonoor-Ooty road, traverse through the maddening Ooty town and suffer the vagaries of the route beyond.

As a side note - last I heard is that the Mulli-Manjur section of the Mannarkkad-Ooty route is closed for traffic.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 09:26   #14442
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
Planning to travel to Kerala in the first week of July (likely on Friday) early morning (about 5.30am) from HSR area (Bangalore) to Kerala (Chengannur area).
Given the heavy rains going on, there is a safer fourth option too, perhaps not as tiresome as the rest, but is quite long a drive. (provided, train is not an option)

If one starts at 530 am from HSR, it is quite possible to reach Trivandrum (eg Lulu Mall area) along the newly opened road (Kaliyikkavila - Kazhakootam NH66) before 6 pm. The stretches from Nagercoil outer to Kaliyikkavila (about 1-1.5hours) and from Tvm- Chengannur along MC road will be the only tiring ones. If the circumstances permit, taking a break at either Mall of Travancore or Lulu for a while and then negotiating the Kazhakootam- Venjaramoodu- Kottarakkara- Chengannur stretch when the traffic decreases in late evening might be a safer option than the others now. (The total distance will be about +850 km) of which the first 750 can be done in 11-12 hours and the remaining in about 2.5-3 hours)
Sorry for the weird idea, as driving along the ghats may not be safe now. And heavy rains would further enhance the misery along Palakkad- Angamaly- MC road.
JayG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 10:00   #14443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Given the heavy rains going on, there is a safer fourth option too, perhaps not as tiresome as the rest, but is quite long a drive. (provided, train is not an option)

If one starts at 530 am from HSR, it is quite possible to reach Trivandrum (eg Lulu Mall area) along the newly opened road (Kaliyikkavila - Kazhakootam NH66) before 6 pm. The stretches from Nagercoil outer to Kaliyikkavila (about 1-1.5hours) and from Tvm- Chengannur along MC road will be the only tiring ones. If the circumstances permit, taking a break at either Mall of Travancore or Lulu for a while and then negotiating the Kazhakootam- Venjaramoodu- Kottarakkara- Chengannur stretch when the traffic decreases in late evening might be a safer option than the others now. (The total distance will be about +850 km) of which the first 750 can be done in 11-12 hours and the remaining in about 2.5-3 hours)
Sorry for the weird idea, as driving along the ghats may not be safe now. And heavy rains would further enhance the misery along Palakkad- Angamaly- MC road.
Thanks.
yes considering rains,
For now, thinking about leaving at 5am and reaching Kochi via Salem/Coimbatore/Palakad by 3 to 4pm and stay overnight and then leave early morning (6am) from Kochi to chengannur.
Old 5th July 2023, 16:37   #14444
BHPian

Planning to travel from Kasaragod to Trivandrum on Saturday. Breaking our journey midway at Thrissur and resuming on Sunday. This is the plan.

Anything I should be concerned about with respect to rain, waterlogging etc?
Old 5th July 2023, 17:04   #14445
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Planning to travel from Kasaragod to Trivandrum on Saturday. Breaking our journey midway at Thrissur and resuming on Sunday. This is the plan.

Anything I should be concerned about with respect to rain, waterlogging etc?
Take the Vande bharat if that is feasible. There are massive road works going on almost all the way. I had to travel to Trivandrum recently and almost everyone advised against driving. A friend driving from EKM to TVM on a sunday said it took him 8.5 Hrs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks