Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2023, 18:20   #14446
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Take the Vande bharat if that is feasible. There are massive road works going on almost all the way. I had to travel to Trivandrum recently and almost everyone advised against driving. A friend driving from EKM to TVM on a sunday said it took him 8.5 Hrs.
Hey, it's obviously not possible as I have to take my car from the bodyshop in Mangalore. But if it's pretty bad then I have to postpone, hence the question Did you drive down to TVM in the end? The EKM-TVM delay was owing to road works?

PS: Vande Bharat is always a sucky option when I'm travelling from Kasaragod-TVM (frequent traveller here as Kasaragod is my native and TVM is where I stay) as a day goes waste, I prefer taking one of the night trains, and that's almost half the rate as well.
epiccross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 18:56   #14447
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Did you drive down to TVM in the end? The EKM-TVM delay was owing to road works?
No, I took a train. The EKM - TVM was due to road works. If you are doing it in two days, might as well do it via Mysore - tirupur - Madurai - TVM. Though the distance is 50% more, the drive will be a lot more relaxed. Might sound ridiculous to some but we live to drive is it not.
ike is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 05:58   #14448
BHPian

Quote:
If you are doing it in two days, might as well do it via Mysore - tirupur - Madurai - TVM. Though the distance is 50% more, the drive will be a lot more relaxed. Might sound ridiculous .
Not at all ! Last September, my family was so exasperated by the 13-hour drive from Trivandrum to Palakkad (via Ernakulam) that we returned via Pollachi- Dindigul- Nagercoil (10 hours).
JayG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 14:26   #14449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you drive down to TVM in the end? The EKM-TVM delay was owing to road works?
My cousin drove this route couple of days back. It's really bad to drive with lots of road work, deviation etc. They were literally exhausted when they reached Tvm.
Now with the ongoing rain, it would have just worsened.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 14:56   #14450
BHPian

Quote:
No, I took a train. The EKM - TVM was due to road works. If you are doing it in two days, might as well do it via Mysore - tirupur - Madurai - TVM. Though the distance is 50% more, the drive will be a lot more relaxed. Might sound ridiculous to some but we live to drive is it not.
Thanks, but I don't have a choice though :( I have to break the journey at our Thrissur house as I have to drop something off there. I guess I'll have to brace myself for a long drive then!
Old 6th July 2023, 18:57   #14451
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
What is the best option to Bandipur from Kongad in Palakkad? Perinthalmanna to Nilambur to Bandipur via Vazhikkadav is what comes to my mind. Need the best road conditions. Setting off early in the morning from Kongad. Any update on the road conditions will be appreciated.
Drove today to Serai Bandipur. Took Kongad-Sreekrishnapuram- Perinthalmanna- Nilambur - Vazhikkadav- Bandipur.

Perinthalmanna to Nilambur stretch is rough with bad patched up roads and potholes. After Vazhikkadav, its a breeze to drive on
M35 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 19:38   #14452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but I don't have a choice though :( I have to break the journey at our Thrissur house as I have to drop something off there. I guess I'll have to brace myself for a long drive then!
If that's the case, try to see if you can take off peak hours. Early morning starts might help.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 19:43   #14453
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
If that's the case, try to see if you can take off peak hours. Early morning starts might help.
We are talking about road through Alapuzha right? If EKM is not mandatory for the trip would MC road be a bad idea?
rohitoasis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 08:27   #14454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Perinthalmanna to Nilambur stretch is rough with bad patched up roads and potholes.
There are two routes from Perinthalmanna to Nilambur: (a) via Pandikkad-Wandoor and (b) via Melattoor-Kalikavu. The latter is somewhat suboptimal; I had suggested the former in a previous post. Is that also bad? It was fine when I took it the last time (didn't drive the full length, I admit).
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 09:53   #14455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
There are two routes from Perinthalmanna to Nilambur: (a) via Pandikkad-Wandoor and (b) via Melattoor-Kalikavu. The latter is somewhat suboptimal; I had suggested the former in a previous post. Is that also bad? It was fine when I took it the last time (didn't drive the full length, I admit).
The Melattoor-Kalikav-Pokottumpadam-Nilamboor road is under construction. Avoid this route if possible.
The Perinthalmanna-Pandikad- Wandoor-Nilamboor road is good; some patchwork is there, and the roads are narrow and curvy,but one can drive. But the problem is horrible traffic—both private vehicles, buses, and transport vehicles. It will take 45 minutes to cover the 25-kilometer distance at least.

Last edited by Bonemechanic : 7th July 2023 at 09:56.
Bonemechanic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 12:50   #14456
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It was the Pandikkad Wandoor. Not that pathetic but not upto the general standards of Kerala roads
Old 10th July 2023, 00:10   #14457
pms
BHPian

Did a Kollam to Bangalore drive yesterday via Kottarakara-Punalur-Shencottai-Tirumangalam-Dindigul-Salem. Started at 5:45AM from Kollam and reached BLR at 6:30PM including 3 breaks, overall good drive. Heavy rains all the way from Kollam to Shencottai, but luckily the roads near Thenamala and Aryankaavu were in good shape. Looked like roads at the haripin curve (S bend) and twisties near KL-TN border have been repaired. Not sure how long they will remain considering the rains and heavy truck traffic this region has.
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 20:13   #14458
BHPian

Hi, all. Planning to ride out from Goa to Kochi, with a stopover at Payyanur. Request suitable routes and the current road conditions, with suggestions about start time from Payyanur to avoid traffic. Intend to route via Mahe to tank up on cheaper fuel as well. Ride planned with departure from Goa on 12 July. Thanks in advance. On completion, will update my journey details.

The million -dollar question is...do I follow Google Maps, or are there other better options?

Last edited by 220kmph : 10th July 2023 at 20:31.
Old 10th July 2023, 20:43   #14459
avk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
Folks, any suggestions for a good lunch place between Dindigul and Tirunelveli on the highway? Doing a BLR-TRV trip in the second weekend of July.

Also are the speed cameras working on that stretch in TN?

Thanks,
Based on my last few trips, I might cross Madurai between 12 and 12 30. Any good options near Tirunelveli?
Old 10th July 2023, 21:05   #14460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220kmph View Post
Hi, all. Planning to ride out from Goa to Kochi, with a stopover at Payyanur.
I suppose your best option is to hit the NH 66 wherever you are starting from, and continue on it till Payyanur.

From Payyanur I don't think you have any viable options but to grin and bear the under-redevelopment highway till Calicut. If you know your way around Calicut then hit the Feroke-Chaliyam-Tirur-Chamravattam road, cross the barrage bridge and reach Edappal. I read the Kunnamkulam-Thrissur road is also in bad shape, but you should be able to reach Thrissur in one piece. Hit the NH 544 at Thalore in Thrissur outskirts and continue towards Kochi. This would be an excruciating drive.

Or you could drive to Kerala from Goa via Bangalore-Salem, and do a train trip to Payyanur separately. If I were you I would consider Maveli out and Parasuram in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
Based on my last few trips, I might cross Madurai between 12 and 12 30. Any good options near Tirunelveli?
Not sure if this will work for you, but I have a Hari's bookmarked: https://goo.gl/maps/9trKWXM8koagwTj56
binand is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks