Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2014, 08:23   #6946
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
This time, since we reached Hosur before 6 am, I was thinking the Karnataka toll would be relatively free. Boy, was I wrong!
I would say the 4 to 9 AM is quite the wrong window to enter any city of Bangalore's size, since that is the time during which - probably in sequence - perishables deliveries, overnight buses, non-perishables deliveries and daytime commuters all enter the city. I expect all ingress points to be mired in utter chaos during this time. :-)
Old 21st June 2014, 08:26   #6947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I would say the 4 to 9 AM is quite the wrong window to enter any city of Bangalore's size, since that is the time during which - probably in sequence - perishables deliveries, overnight buses, non-perishables deliveries and daytime commuters all enter the city. I expect all ingress points to be mired in utter chaos during this time. :-)
I have been stuck at this toll at almost all times of the day now. Noon to midnight and now early morning. 9 out of 10 journeys, I avoid going to this toll. I will make it 10 out of 10 now :-)

Last edited by ak916 : 21st June 2014 at 08:38.
Old 21st June 2014, 08:34   #6948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
I have been stuck at this toll at almost all times of the day now. Noon to midnight and nor early morning. 9 out of 10 journeys, I avoid going to this toll. I will make it 10 out of 10 now :-)
I now time my entry to Bangalore between 9 and 11 PM, which works quite well. Last 2-3 times crossing the Attibele toll has been a breeze.
Old 21st June 2014, 11:48   #6949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I now time my entry to Bangalore between 9 and 11 PM, which works quite well. Last 2-3 times crossing the Attibele toll has been a breeze.
Even at the time you mentioned, is lorry traffic not a cause for concern??
Old 21st June 2014, 12:57   #6950
BHPian

Would the best route to Alwaye from Banglore presently would be via hosur , salem , pallakad. Preferably only via four lane. any suggestions on rest stops on the way.
Old 21st June 2014, 14:50   #6951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Would the best route to Alwaye from Banglore presently would be via hosur , salem , pallakad. Preferably only via four lane. any suggestions on rest stops on the way.
You'll get the answer in the last couple of pages. Since you mentioned that your preference is for 4-laned highways, you don't have another choice. Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-PALAKKAD-Thrissur-Aluva
Old 24th June 2014, 09:20   #6952
Senior - BHPian

Toll rates at Paliyekkara will be increased from tonight. Expect political protests and delay coming days.
Old 25th June 2014, 14:57   #6953
BHPian

Road condition between Palakad to Thrissur

Guys,

As I had mentioned in my earlier post, my plan to drive to down to Alleppey is confirmed now http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3459770.

I starting by Friday night (7:00 PM) and planning to reach Alleppey next morning probably 9:00 AM. The reason for the night drive is because the check in time for my Boathouse is at 12:00 noon only and I did not get an Off from work on Friday.

The route I have planned to take is Chennai --> Krishnagiri --> Salem --> Palakad --> Thrissur --> Ernakulam --> Alleppey

I wanted to know the Road conditions between Palakad to Thrissur and is it safe for night driving as I'm travelling with my family?

Please let me know your inputs so that I may decide.

Thank you very much in advance
Old 25th June 2014, 15:06   #6954
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road condition between Palakad to Thrissur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
I wanted to know the Road conditions between Palakad to Thrissur and is it safe for night driving as I'm travelling with my family?
This NH47 is the safest route to Kerala for night travel. In fact, this is a busy highway and never faced any safety issues. You will cross this section after 2am and traffic will not be a major issue that time.

L&T exit to Walayar:Bumpy
Walayar - Vadakkancherry: Four lane work in progress, beware of diversions
Vadakkancherry - Mannuthy: Two lane smooth road, shoulders are deep at places.

Mannuthy - Cherthala: Four lane
Cherthala-Alleppey: Two lane

Expect rains once you cross Walayar.

You may check below thread for recent updates.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...erala-464.html

Last edited by coolclouds : 25th June 2014 at 15:08.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 15:11   #6955
BHPian

I traveled on that section last month and the road surface was good, the potholes had been removed.

The only bottleneck is the kuthiraan hillbut I guess it would not be a problem at night.

I don't have any idea regarding the safety at night,sorry.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 21:21   #6956
BHPian

I stay at Coimbatore and travel to Thrissur almost every weekend. After the rains, I see that the NH47 from Palakkad to Thrissur is not as good as before. Diversions apart, the overall road condition was nothing to talk about. My favorite route from Palakkad to Thrissur is via Ottappalam.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...via=1&t=m&z=16

The NH47 has a certain risk involved in terms of traffic jam around Kuthiraan. But the route I suggested above is guaranteed to be empty after 10 PM or so. The only minor issue here is that you have to cross the Palakkad town, which again will be empty in the late night.

Last edited by devansn : 25th June 2014 at 21:24.
Old 25th June 2014, 21:28   #6957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn
I stay at Coimbatore and travel to Thrissur almost every weekend. After the rains, I see that the NH47 from Palakkad to Thrissur is not as good as before. Diversions apart, the overall road condition was nothing to talk about. My favorite route from Palakkad to Thrissur is via Ottappalam.

The NH47 has a certain risk involved in terms of traffic jam around Kuthiraan. But the route I suggested above is guaranteed to be empty after 10 PM or so. The only minor issue here is that you have to cross the Palakkad town, which again will be empty in the late night.
This route is best for its surface but not ideal for a first timer. Moreover, it gets deserted during wee hours. NH47 is one straight road and no need to ask for directions.

Last edited by coolclouds : 25th June 2014 at 21:29.
Old 26th June 2014, 08:39   #6958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post

I second your thoughts. Pallakad-Ottapalam road is any day a treat to drive courtesy the broad roads. But it all depends on at what time you hit the road.
Post 9 PM or so i would suggest stick to NH 47.
Old 26th June 2014, 11:14   #6959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I second your thoughts. Pallakad-Ottapalam road is any day a treat to drive courtesy the broad roads. But it all depends on at what time you hit the road.
Post 9 PM or so i would suggest stick to NH 47.
I have travelled by this route at least a hundred times, after 11 PM on most occasions. I have not faced any issues yet - but thats all what I can say. NH47 is crowded almost always, so there is no danger of getting stranded / robbed. However, the Ottappalam route is all inhabited.
Old 26th June 2014, 11:56   #6960
BHPian

BANGALORE - TRIVANDRUM route update

I traveled to Trivandrum from Bangalore last weekend. Took the Thenmala/Shenkottai route for onwards journey. Took the Nagercoil route for return journey.

Thenmala/Shenkottai route:
Bangalore (my home) - Salem - Madurai - Thirumangalam --> 455 KM
* we know NH-7 is excellent, and tolled
Thirumangalam - Thenmala --> 167 KM
* SH39A (208) is in very good condition, has been widened at many stretches
* You would be slowed down by traffic in Srivilliputhur, Rajapalayam
* Ghats section is also in excellent condition
Thenmala - East Fort, Trivandrum --> 75 KM
* SH2 is in good condition
* There are small stretches of bad roads between Kulathupuzha and Palode. Mainly damaged by rain water flowing across the road

Nagercoil Route: Parasala (South Tvm) - Nagercoil --> 35 KM
* NH47, Kerala stretch is very good. Tamilnadu stretch is bad; most of the towns have bad roads with big potholes
Nagercoil - Kavalkinaru --> 23 KM
* Nagercoil is a big bottleneck, roads are bad and traffic even at 6am. Once you get out of Nagercoil, roads get wider but surprise you with a few potholes
Kavalkinaru - Bangalore --> 630 KM
* NH7, excellent condition

* As all of us know, Trivandrum to Parasala, the traffic is crazy unless done early morning or late night.
* I paid ~ Rs.1200 towards toll, ouch.
* I took the Nagercoil route only because I was starting from south Trivandrum (Parasala).
* I liked the Thenmala route more. It’s scenic, fun to drive on and can provide plenty of shade for a break.
* I have not added the time taken for individual stretches because I took several breaks (traveling with a baby).
* Overall, I took 15Hrs for onward journey and 13 Hrs for return journey. In both cases I starts at 5:00 am.
sumeshmani is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks