Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2014, 09:22   #6931
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
2. Perundurai-Bhavani-Mettur-Thippur-Krishnagiri (NH4)-Hosur-Blr.

Happy motoring
The Bangalore-thoppur route is the NH7 and not NH4 as per the old numbering system. Rather than going via Mettur-Bhavani route that has pretty high lorry traffic, I would suggest deviate into Omalur town and go via Tharamangalam, Konganapuram till you reach Sankagiri below the flyover along NH47
Old 16th June 2014, 13:56   #6932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The Bangalore-thoppur route is the NH7 and not NH4 as per the old numbering system. Rather than going via Mettur-Bhavani route that has pretty high lorry traffic, I would suggest deviate into Omalur town and go via Tharamangalam, Konganapuram till you reach Sankagiri below the flyover along NH47
Hi Suresh,

I think you misunderstood. The NH4 after Krishnagiri, denotes the joining of
NH4 (though strictly the NH4 from Chennai reaches Bangalore via Chittoor and Kolar ).

Yes, your suggestion of deviating thro Omalur-Tharamangalam has been suggested by a few others, but have still to try it. Maybe next time for sure
SAPVEN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 14:43   #6933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
I think you misunderstood. The NH4 after Krishnagiri, denotes the joining of
NH4 (though strictly the NH4 from Chennai reaches Bangalore via Chittoor and Kolar ).
That is NH 46 - Krishnagiri-Walajapet.
Old 16th June 2014, 18:45   #6934
Senior - BHPian

Returned to Bangalore last night. The route: Palakkad-Walayar-Avinashi-Sankari-Tharamangalam-Omalur-Thoppur-Dharmapuri-Palacode-Rayakottai-Hosur-Attibele-Bangalore. Left Palakkad at 3-ish and was in Bangalore in a little over 7 hours. The fuel gauge still shows half a tank, and we saved Rs.220 as toll - good for the pocket.

The truck traffic between Tharamangalam and Omalur was a bit thick, hence decided to hit the 4-lane highway for a while, to 'cool off' ;-) After Dharmapuri, the SH was a bliss to drive on. The road condition has improved very much, and traffic is sparse at night - it can be a boon and a bane. I found an entire village where people try to "save electricity" by riding their mopeds and bikes without any light on. Lack of concentration can be very costly in these areas.
Old 17th June 2014, 09:18   #6935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I found an entire village where people try to "save electricity" by riding their mopeds and bikes without any light on. Lack of concentration can be very costly in these areas.
I would say villagers are trying to use the headlights of other vehicles to commute on the road.
Old 17th June 2014, 12:51   #6936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
After Dharmapuri, the SH was a bliss to drive on. The road condition has improved very much, and traffic is sparse at night - it can be a boon and a bane.
I too returned on sunday evening- around 6 PM; and i found it annoying to drive through the 2 lane state highway. Not exactly smooth; there are broken roads in between.

In a hindsight, i would prefer taking NH209 for a toll-free relaxed drive, or pay the toll for the 4 lane and reach fast and then relax.
Old 17th June 2014, 14:19   #6937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I too returned on sunday evening- around 6 PM; and i found it annoying to drive through the 2 lane state highway. Not exactly smooth; there are broken roads in between.
Are you referring to the Hosur-Rayakottai SH. Has it gone that bad.
I went on that stretch in the last week of April 2014. It was a bliss to drive then.
Old 17th June 2014, 14:35   #6938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went on that stretch in the last week of April 2014. It was a bliss to drive then.
Its not that bad. Local traffic on this road thickens during evenings and one need to be more careful.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 14:37   #6939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
In a hindsight, i would prefer taking NH209 for a toll-free relaxed drive, or pay the toll for the 4 lane and reach fast and then relax.
The problem with NH209 route, if you're leaving in the evening, is the risk of wild animals inside Sathy forest and broken down vehicles causing blocks. If it's daytime, we can be certain that the block will be cleared quickly. But not in the night. That said, I'm yet to come across a worrisome block on this route so I count myself lucky.

Quote:
Hosur-Rayakottai is good, but there are a few rough patches. Not exactly bad, but a bit rough.
Old 17th June 2014, 20:41   #6940
BHPian

Travelled to Kochi from BLR over the weekend. We left at 11 pm in both directions and it took us exactly 8 hours from ITPL to Varapuzha area via the Salem, CBE, PKD, Thrissur route. The same route was taken on the return journey.

The toll gate at Karnataka entrance was jammed and took 15 mins to cross. Almost all tolls in this route are annoying and contribute an additional 30 mins atleast to your time.
The flyovers between Avanashi and CBE have lesser speedbreakers now. I guess they are slowly removing them. However now culverts are growing a pair (of speedbreakers).
Old 19th June 2014, 11:53   #6941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
The toll gate at Karnataka entrance was jammed and took 15 mins to cross. Almost all tolls in this route are annoying and contribute an additional 30 mins atleast to your time.
The two trouble maker Toll Booths on this stretch are the ones at Krishnagiri and another one at Athibele. Athibele toll booth is the worst among the lot. There is absolutely now discipline and 10 lines form up, to enter around 6 toll booths. And the usual suspects - the truckers - are NOT to blame here. It is mainly car passengers who mess up the lines.

There is a way to bye-pass Athibele toll booth. Take a right at Hosur town, and proceed on Thally Road. Cross the single line railway track and go for another 5 kms, you reach an intersection. Take right there, and you would soon land up near the TVS factory. Go a bit further you would cross over to Karnataka. Follow the same route, and you would land up at Athibele circle (just below the road over bridge).
Old 19th June 2014, 12:39   #6942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
There is a way to bye-pass Athibele toll booth. Take a right at Hosur town, and proceed on Thally Road. Cross the single line railway track and go for another 5 kms, you reach an intersection. Take right there, and you would soon land up near the TVS factory. Go a bit further you would cross over to Karnataka. Follow the same route, and you would land up at Athibele circle (just below the road over bridge).
But the road you are talking about from Attibele to TVS Factory is generally not in the best of shape. This has been tried by quite a number of members of this forum
Old 19th June 2014, 13:24   #6943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the road you are talking about from Attibele to TVS Factory is generally not in the best of shape. This has been tried by quite a number of members of this forum
Two weeks back I drove to Mathigiri circle via Attibelle. There was no serious potholes other than a small one before TVS.

Last edited by coolclouds : 19th June 2014 at 13:25.
Old 19th June 2014, 13:38   #6944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Two weeks back I drove to Mathigiri circle via Attibelle. There was no serious potholes other than a small one before TVS.
On the account of general elections, this road was given a new lease of life. Prior to that the attibele-tvs road had broken tarmac (not deep potholes though) at quite a number of places. Infact before entering TN, there used to be a gaping pothole which forced all drivers to maneuver around that including mini lorry drivers.
Old 21st June 2014, 07:58   #6945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Since I live in east Bangalore, I usually take a right turn under Hosur flyover towards bagalur and keep driving straight after that town. Around 2-3 kms after one artha property there, I take a left and come to chikka tirupathi and then take the NH207 to Kadugodi and then onto ITPL.

This time, since we reached Hosur before 6 am, I was thinking the Karnataka toll would be relatively free. Boy, was I wrong!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks