Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2014, 14:42   #7066
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Both Walayar and Velanthavalam are totally jammed as of now. The situation may continue for another day or two. Shall update here. Better take Pollachi route
Any reason why it is jammed?
I will be traveling Coimbatore to Thrissur on Saturday afternoon via Walyar and hopefully it is fine then.
Old 10th July 2014, 15:04   #7067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Any reason why it is jammed?
I will be traveling Coimbatore to Thrissur on Saturday afternoon via Walyar and hopefully it is fine then.
Some procedural change at the check post caused delay in clearing of trucks and led to a very long queue for 3-4 kms. Also the construction of new bridge at over Walayar river meant narrow exit and entry at that spot
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 16:06   #7068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Coming from Palladam,go straight till the end of Palladam Road at Pollachi,take a right and proceed towards the signal junction at dead end with the Pollachi bus stand to your left.At the junction take a slight right followed by a left onto Palakkad Road.Proceed for three kilometers till you encounter a Forest Checkpost.At the CP,take a left and keep straight for approx 2kms and the road ends on the Kollengode road.Landmark:Axis Bank ATM in front of you where the road ends dead.Take right at the junction.Left takes you back to Pollachi via Zamin Uthukuli.
Ranjit, while returning, I will be approaching Pollachi from Kollengode. Shud I take the same turning above (Axis Bank) to the left, to finally the Gandhi Statue junction, and then left to Coimb(L&T) ??
Or is it better to go right into the Pollachi Market and turn left into the main road ( I have a feeling , the Police Station Rd-thro the market, is a one way).

Rgds,
Old 10th July 2014, 16:25   #7069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Ranjit, while returning, I will be approaching Pollachi from Kollengode. Shud I take the same turning above (Axis Bank) to the left, to finally the Gandhi Statue junction, and then left to Coimb(L&T) ??
Or is it better to go right into the Pollachi Market and turn left into the main road ( I have a feeling , the Police Station Rd-thro the market, is a one way).

Rgds,
While coming back Axis atm would be on your right at the junction before Zamin Uthukuli,take a left at that point and follow the road and it ends up at the forest CP.Take a right at the CP and go towards Pollachi town,left takes you to Palakkad.If you miss the Axis atm turning ,nothing to worry,you would ultimately land up at the same junction near the bus stand just that you would have to negotiate some messy bazaar narrow roads etc.

Map from Axis Bank Atm to Pollachi Bus Stand,the CP is on the Pollachi-Palakkad road

https://goo.gl/maps/AWTc4
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 17:58   #7070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post

Rgds,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
There's no traffic in the road at all as it is now a
Ramzsys just messaged me this easier way to get to the Palladam route.You could use this.

Thank you Ramzsys for this info,quoting his message below for Sapven's benefit:

http://goo.gl/maps/hMgXB

http://goo.gl/maps/eoeIy

This is a traffic free and smooth road, and at the centre of the semi-circle(mahalingapuram rountana) there is a good non-veg hotel.

UNQUOTE
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 10:21   #7071
Senior - BHPian

Guys - Walayar is still choc a block with lorries. May continue for another 2 days
Old 11th July 2014, 10:47   #7072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys - Walayar is still choc a block with lorries. May continue for another 2 days
Looks like Perundurai, kangeyam, Palladam and pollachi route is the trusted and proven route to be followed by all going towards Palakkad.
Old 11th July 2014, 10:55   #7073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was reported on Malayalam TV channels. The Commercial Taxes department of GoK changed some of the rules for trucks entering the state. The truckers claim they got to know of the new rules when they arrived at the checkpost, and going back in time for perfect compliance is not practical. GoK's claim is that the modified rules were notified several weeks in advance with ample time for compliance. It is currently a deadlock situation.

The funny part is, the new rule is something relatively simple - traders are supposed to register on some GoK website and include their registration number on the documents carried in the trucks.
Old 11th July 2014, 22:56   #7074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli
Yes, Walayar, Velanthavalam and Pollachi checkposts are a mess now.

I did Bangalore - Ottappalam - Bangalore today.

Left Bangalore yesterday evening and the queue of trucks started right after L&T exit at 12 mid night. I tried all possible ways to go through as taking a U turn was nearly impossible. Talked to some other cars who tried Velanthavalam and returned to NH 47 itself as there too it was not moving.

After a lot of trouble and driving left right and center, crossed Walayar by 1.30am.

A friend went to Coimbatore without knowing the mess today morning. He left Palakkad at 4 am and he couldn't make it even at 7.30!

On return, Pollachi was better among others. Did Ottappalam-Palakkad-Pollachi-Palladam-Mangalam-Avinashi-Salem-Krishnagiri-Bangalore. Crossed check post by 12 noon and there too the truck queue was very long.

Palladam -Avinashi BP is a breeze now.

Anybody traveling to KL may avoid Walayar at least till further updates.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 00:14   #7075
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Palladam -Avinashi BP is a breeze now.
So the railway over bridge is complete? Thats good to know.
Old 12th July 2014, 07:02   #7076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

So the railway over bridge is complete? Thats good to know.
Yes, this bridge is complete.
Old 12th July 2014, 07:52   #7077
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
On return, Pollachi was better among others. Did Ottappalam-Palakkad-Pollachi-Palladam-Mangalam-Avinashi-Salem-Krishnagiri-Bangalore. Crossed check post by 12 noon and there too the truck queue was very long.
Did Palakkad-Pollachi-Palladam-Kangeyam-Perundurai-Salem-Bangalore yesterday. Good roads and stress free drive.

Is Palladam-Mangalam-Avinashi route a better option?
Old 12th July 2014, 08:25   #7078
Senior - BHPian

An update from another forum indicates that the shortest route to North Wayanad via HD Kote - Bavali - Kattikulam is back again in shape with the diversions near the forest from Dhammankatte to Udbur completely relaid and asphalted.
Credits to the gentleman who posted in that forum.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 08:46   #7079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
An update from another forum indicates that the shortest route to North Wayanad via HD Kote - Bavali - Kattikulam is back again in shape with the diversions near the forest from Dhammankatte to Udbur completely relaid and asphalted.
Do we know how family-friendly this route is? Main concerns are about clean toilets and edible food. :-) I expect things are find on the KL side, but what is the status on the KA side?
Old 12th July 2014, 09:36   #7080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Do we know how family-friendly this route is? Main concerns are about clean toilets and edible food. :-) I expect things are find on the KL side, but what is the status on the KA side?
Bangalore-Mysore is anyways well known. You will not find any decent hotel in the the next 90 km odd till Bavali/Kerala border. But then you could plan to avoid taking breaks in that stretch which would take just around 2 hours or so.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks