Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2023, 20:42   #14371
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

I have a Bangalore-Cochin drive coming up this Saturday. Planning to leave around 5 am from Whitefield.

Any stretches that are bad currently? Any new interesting food stops that have recently come up?

I haven't done this drive in more than a year, thats why asking.
Old 27th April 2023, 22:43   #14372
Senior - BHPian

After a long time, Muvattupuzha-Mannoor-Ponjassery road is in relatively good condition except for few stretches near Vengola. This road is greatly useful for people going to Rajagiri Hospital from south and eastern sides.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 11:37   #14373
Senior - BHPian

For folks crossing over to TN via Trivandrum, there is a lovely bypass outside of Nagercoil (With toll) that joins right outside Kavalkinaru highway side.

Just wish they would fully open the NH road that would help bypass the dreaded Balaramapuram-Neyyatinkara-Parasala stretch.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 12:50   #14374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
I have a Bangalore-Cochin drive coming up this Saturday. Planning to leave around 5 am from Whitefield.

Any stretches that are bad currently? Any new interesting food stops that have recently come up?

I haven't done this drive in more than a year, thats why asking.
No complaints on the surface quality for most part, except the Chengappalli-Avinashi stretch surface continue to deteriorate (highest toll on this stretch). On Kerala side, there is construction near Chalakkudy, so slight diversion via service road.

More than the road surface, the traffic density on the 4-lane roads (Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri) and the Coimbatore byepass is the most irritating part.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 20:59   #14375
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
More than the road surface, the traffic density on the 4-lane roads (Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri) and the Coimbatore byepass is the most irritating part.
Thrissur - Ernakulam stretch is also a big headache these days. My brother drove to Ernakulam from Thrissur early today morning and was stuck at Paliyekkara toll for an hour and each signal thereafter took 15 to 20 mins, and Chalakudy flyover construction took about 30 mins.

It might have been because yesterday was Thrissur Pooram however driving this route in daylight hours has become an absolute nightmare now.
Old 3rd May 2023, 09:50   #14376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Totally agree. Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem section where traffic from both Chennai and Bangalore merge until they separate again at Salem bypass towards Madurai and Coimbatore is screaming for widening.

The proposed redevelopment of Hosur-Rayakottai-Dharmapuri should help (though the conundrum of Dharmapuri-Salem via Thoppur ghat still remains).
Old 3rd May 2023, 19:46   #14377
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Totally agree. Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem section where traffic from both Chennai and Bangalore merge until they separate again at Salem bypass towards Madurai and Coimbatore is screaming for widening.
There are Chennai - Salem & Salem - Chengapalli expressways proposed under Bharatmala, this if it materializes will help decongest these stretches.
Old 4th May 2023, 09:41   #14378
BHPian

Can someone help with quick updates on the road work between Trissur and Kannur. �� Need to take the route tomorrow till Nileswaram.
Old 4th May 2023, 09:49   #14379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Need to take the route tomorrow till Nileswaram.
All across, you will face road widening work. No major blockages as such, however be prepared to drive on and off on main road and service road. Hence try to avoid driving in night since signages may be difficult to understand.

Suggest you start early, so that you atleast reach near to Calicut by time its peak time.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 09:53   #14380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
All across, you will face road widening work. No major blockages as such, however be prepared to drive on and off on main road and service road. Hence try to avoid driving in night since signages may be difficult to understand.

Suggest you start early, so that you atleast reach near to Calicut by time its peak time.
Thanks for the quick revert. Is there any major diversions from the main road ?

. Any idea on the present condition of Thalaserry Mahe bypass. Did they even start to allow vehicles partially on the roads?
Old 4th May 2023, 10:19   #14381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Thanks for the quick revert. Is there any major diversions from the main road ?

. Any idea on the present condition of Thalaserry Mahe bypass. Did they even start to allow vehicles partially on the roads?
1. No, the maximum you need to divert is via service road. NO places you have to leave the existing road completely.
2. Its not open pending one rail over bridge work. Apart from that, I assume the byepass is almost fully done. I had visited a place near that last Sept and those whom I interacted with were hopeful that it will be completed by start of this year, however its not the case as such.
Old 4th May 2023, 13:42   #14382
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend was travelling back from Trichy .
Salem bypass after crossing the steel plant exit towards Dharmapuri a flyover construction is going on and service road is allowing one one vehicle at a time it is narrow road .45 mins was in the traffic jam in the evening between 5.45pm to 6.30pm
Old 7th May 2023, 22:22   #14383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Idea is to see if we can take deviation from Kaliyikkavilai towards Poovar Kovalam road and enter the NH66 at Karodu for the onward journey towards Trivandrum.

(Please note that the route highlighted just for reference, it might not be practical without knowing the road condition)

Attachment 2443515
Tried this stretch in the last Bangalore - Tvm trip.
Short summary - After running a few kilometres from Karodu, the NH66 is blocked until Kanjiramkulam. Except this part, rest of the NH66 is drivable and is a good escape route to Tvm from Kaliyikkavila.

We can enter NH66 at Karodu directly from the Kaliyikkavilai-Poovar road.
After running for few kilometres, the road is blocked and we will have to take a diversion (Deviation is via pretty narrow and broken road, but sedans can also take it).
Will rejoin NH66 at Kanjiramkulam and from then on its a directly connected and drivable road.
Old 9th May 2023, 18:36   #14384

Hey Folks,

As it will be my first time driving to this part of Kerala, I need your advise in choosing the best and safest route from Bengaluru to Pathanamthitta.

I have a night drive planned on 11 May, planning to leave around 9 PM from E-City. I would prefer to avoid ghat roads at night and if possible, take a quick nap at any suggested fuel stations/rest stops. Please advise on the best route, fuel stops and road conditions.

Here's the different routes I found using Google Maps.

Route 1 - Bengaluru - Salem - Coimbatore - Thrissur - Muvattupuzha - Pathanamthitta = 631 kms @ 12 hours 20 mins

Route 2 as suggested by Google Maps - Bengaluru - Salem - Dindigul - Cumbum - Kumily - Erumeli - Ranni - Pathanamthitta = 589 Kms @ 11 hours 17 mins

Route 3 - Bengaluru - Salem - Madurai - Tenkasi - Pathanamthitta = 658 kms @ 12 hours 52 mins

Thanks a ton in advance!
Old 9th May 2023, 18:45   #14385
Senior - BHPian

Route 1 would be ideal IMO.
beejay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks