Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2023, 13:22   #14401
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hello, we are leaving for Wayanad tomorrow and looking for route recommendations and places to eat on the way (also black-out stretches where no decent food is available).

Forward Trip: PFR->Wayanad (stay near Vythiri)-> Kannur (Thottada).

G Maps is recommending Hwy 275 to Mysore and then 766 to Vythiri via Gundlupete. Stay in Vythiri near dam. Then, G Maps recommends Hwy 54 and then 38 to Kannur (Thottada).

Return Trip: Kannur (Thottada) to Bangalore

G Maps is recommending Hwy 90, 275 to Mysore and then Nice Road to Bangalore

Any insights would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 13th May 2023, 21:15   #14402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
I am planning to drive back from Kottayam to Bangalore. Can anyone suggest how good or bad is the route via Kumily, Dindigul, Karur, Salem is? Or is it better to go via Coimbatore, Salem?
Completed this drive today. Roads are good almost all the way through. The views are just stunning too. The only problem is that it takes too long to get out of Kerala. 110 km distance from Kottayam to Kumily took almost 3 hours.

But overall a good experience. Some clicks from todays drive.

All Roads to Kerala-img_5786.jpeg

All Roads to Kerala-img_5773.jpeg

All Roads to Kerala-img_5810.jpeg

Thanks for everyone’s responses
Garth is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 22:09   #14403
BHPian

Kerala’s 1st concrete highway, on Mukkola-Karode stretch, opens

The much-awaited Mukkola-Karode highway stretch, which is part of the Kazhakootam-Kerala-Tamil Nadu border NH66 bypass, was opened for traffic on Monday.
Quote:
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The much-awaited Mukkola-Karode highway stretch, which is part of the Kazhakootam-Kerala-Tamil Nadu border NH66 bypass, was opened for traffic on Monday. The 16.3-kilometre road is the first concrete highway in the state. With the opening of the stretch, commuters from north Kerala can travel to Tamil Nadu via Kanyakumari without entering Thiruvananthapuram city.

However, since the work on the stretch that continues in Tamil Nadu from Karode is not completed, vehicles can enter the neighbouring state via service roads that lead to Chenkavila on the Poovar-Kaliyikkavila road. Arrangements are in place to ensure the smooth flow of traffic from the main carriageway to the service roads.
https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...s-2575448.html
darklord is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 09:59   #14404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post

Forward Trip: PFR->Wayanad (stay near Vythiri)-> Kannur (Thottada).
You have mentioned PFR as start point, I am assuming its in Bangalore itself.

Your onward route mentioned is the best one to take. Not sure of the time you are planning on starting, since the food stops will differ based on that. However, once you get on to Mysore road, it will take around 1.5 hours to reach Mysore - Ring road junction. Past that, the only descent place that you can find is once you reach Sulthan Batherry (~2 hours from Mysore).

At Gundlupete there are few not so great restaurants and a Cafe Coffee day.

Quote:
Stay in Vythiri near dam.
I am assuming its Banasura dam you are mentioning about?

Quote:
Then, G Maps recommends Hwy 54 and then 38 to Kannur (Thottada).

Return Trip: Kannur (Thottada) to Bangalore

G Maps is recommending Hwy 90, 275 to Mysore
For onward from Vythiri to Kannur and Kannur till Mysore, I will leave it for anyone who has done those routes to respond. Based on update from my friends who have done part of these routes, road conditions are nothing to worry about overall in this section though.

Also, you can post on Bangalore - Wayanad thread for any specific inputs that you need, that may have updated details for your onward trip.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 15:32   #14405
BHPian

Planning to start from Kanniyakumari to Gavi via Angamoozhy Kochandy forest checkpost. Gmap suggest via Trivandrum as least time option but i am skeptical about the notorious traffic from Nagercoil to Trivandrum and to Pathanamthitta.
I am inclined for a slightly longer duration (+30min) scenic route via Thirparappu-Thenmala-Pathanamthitta. Can someone please help suggest the best route?

Route 1 via Trivandrum:
All Roads to Kerala-screenshot_20230517152453887_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Route 2 via Thirparapu - Thenmala:
All Roads to Kerala-screenshot_20230517152547014_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Last edited by Innysta : 17th May 2023 at 15:37. Reason: Added Google maps
Old 18th May 2023, 08:04   #14406
BHPian

Just a caution about the routes in the second half of the journey.
I had driven to Angamoozhi from Konni via Adavi ecotourism (Thannithodu)- Seethathodu some 2 years back. Less traffic, the surface was okay except at a couple of locations. But the road is a bit narrow at stretches and traverses through forest zone where there was interlocked tile surface. Took about 1.5 hours. Map guidance is necessary. I do not know about the status of this route now, but this is definitely not the regular one and is desolate at places.
There is another route via Pathanamthitta Vadasserikkara Chittar, which is the regular one, I believe. The maps would show other routes too, but better to be careful.
Reg the first leg, the second leg is going to be entirely through forest and could potentially eat up time, energy and patience. It could be helpful to not lose them in that alternate path via Thripparappu. It is much more tiresome than the main road unless one is driving when there are fewer vehicles such as late night. The rear passengers are likely to be exhausted too by the winding roads all the way.
The NH66 from Cheruvarakkonam (4km from Kaliyikkavila along Poovar road) till Kovalam is ready too (not officially open) except for a small detour along the banks of Neyyar river on the eastern side at Vlathankara. ( attaching a video that I came across in youtube by a biker who rides from Kovalam side till Cheruvarakonam. Maps are not updated, but the diversions are marked on the road itself. )

Mod Note: Edit as requested -

NH66 has been opened earlier this week (till Kerala -TN border).

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th May 2023 at 07:56. Reason: Added edit requested
JayG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 08:08   #14407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
The much-awaited Mukkola-Karode highway stretch, which is part of the Kazhakootam-Kerala-Tamil Nadu border NH66 bypass, was opened for traffic on Monday.
Travelled on this road yesterday from Eanchakkal to Kaliyikavila, it took ~30 mins with absolutely no traffic which could be because of the time (5:20 AM) or because people are not aware of this option yet. Toll is Rs 80/-

Depending on where you start from in TVM i think it shows up as the default option in GMaps but it suggests deviating off the bypass to Neyattinkara.

Offtopic Note: Once we get off the bypass road on the way to Kaliyikavila there are a couple of un-marked speedbreakers which are difficult to see in the dark.

Last edited by kochup : 21st May 2023 at 08:19.
kochup is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 18:15   #14408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
Travelled on this road yesterday from Eanchakkal to Kaliyikavila, it took ~30 mins with absolutely no traffic which could be because of the time (5:20 AM) or because people are not aware of this option yet. Toll is Rs 80/-

Depending on where you start from in TVM i think it shows up as the default option in GMaps but it suggests deviating off the bypass to Neyattinkara.

Offtopic Note: Once we get off the bypass road on the way to Kaliyikavila there are a couple of un-marked speedbreakers which are difficult to see in the dark.
Thanks for the update. Have a drive to Tuticorin tomorrow and was wondering if i should take this route. Now i shall. Hope signboards are present showing the turn to Kaliyikavila And any deviations/off roading?
Old 22nd May 2023, 18:36   #14409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Hope signboards are present showing the turn to Kaliyikavila And any deviations/off roading?
I don't remember seeing any signboard for Kaliyikavila or maybe I missed it, however it is the last left turn-off (leads to an elevated road) before we can see barricades where this road ends. Infact I had to take a u-turn and drive back for 100 meters to take this left turn.

One sign to look out for is an over head board which says Welcome to TN and shows distance to Nagercoil and Kaniyakumari.

No deviations or off roading, very comfortable drive actually compared to the Balaramapuram Neyyatinkara route did not even realize how fast we reached

One quick note if starting early, there is no lighting on this road and there are lots of people walking/jogging on the shoulder during early hours.
kochup is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 10:39   #14410
BHPian

Did Bangalore - Mysore - Gudalur - Nilambur - Malappuram route.

Roads are good. Less traffic. Better chance of wildlife spotting. Overall good experience.
Chopper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 10:02   #14411
BHPian

Did a Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Bathery-Vythiri and return via the same route. Visit was to the Vythiri Village resort, door to door distance was 300kms. The onwards journey took 6 hours along with a breakfast break and one bio break and very sedate driving from Bandipur all the way till Vythiri.
The expressway is such a delight, it's difficult to restrain oneself from driving fast. My 7 year old along with the speed warning chime at 120Kmph were my speed governers.
As a pleasant surprise. I didn't find many go-karters trying to cut through lanes.
Since we had an early start from Bangalore at 4.30 am, breakfast options inside Mysore were also not available found Ruchi-Mane outside of Mysore as an option, but the restroom options here are borderlining bad. Didn't see many other options on the way also.
On the return leg too, we were looking for options for lunch before entering Mysore not many options, so had to enter Mysore city for lunch. Later I realized though taking the Mysore ORR and opting for a food joint just after Columbia Asia hospital would have been a better choice.

Happy Driving.
Old 27th May 2023, 13:35   #14412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Compared to the Balaramapuram Neyyatinkara route did not even realize how fast we reached.
Having been so used to the torturous drive through Balaramapuram-Neyyatinkara-Parasala, this bit of concrete heaven was truly amazing and like you said, we did not realize just how quickly we got to Trivandrum once we entered that stretch!

Any idea where the remaining stretch of that highway will join at? Kanyakumari?
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 15:38   #14413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One quick note if starting early, there is no lighting on this road and there are lots of people walking/jogging on the shoulder during early hours
Many used to treat the roads as walking grounds, playing grounds, loitering grounds when it was under construction and seems like they are finding it hard to kick the practise. Even now can see some old women lounging and chatting away sitting in the median with their feet on the road. Also look for the random Activa uncle hurtling down the fast lane the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Having been so used to the torturous drive through Balaramapuram-Neyyatinkara-Parasala, this bit of concrete heaven was truly amazing and like you said, we did not realize just how quickly we got to Trivandrum once we entered that stretch!

Any idea where the remaining stretch of that highway will join at? Kanyakumari?
When we are used to a stretch (Blpm-Nta-Psla-Ngcl) that was designed in the 1940s, anything else looks amazing. Though I can't imagine hearing that concrete road drone and undulations till Kanyakumari.

The stretch will go till it meets NH44 somewhere after Nagercoil I guess. Can take the NH44 till Kanyakumari. Though if we want to get into proper Tamilnadu without touching Nagercoil/Kanyakumari, guess have to exit before Nagercoil and take the NH944 to reach Kavalkinaru and get onto NH44.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 14:41   #14414
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the best route from Madurai to Varkala? Google shows the shortest: Madurai - Rajapalayam - Tenkasi - Varkala (1).

But Madurai - Kovilpatti - Sankarankoil - Varkala (2) has better average speed. And last, if I do Madurai - Tirunelveli - Nagercoil - Varkala (3), that's has the best average speed (at the cost of 95 kms/40 mins extra). Extra distance and little extra time is not a concern if the drive is more relaxing. Which one should be prefered? Any inputs around road, traffic conditions and speed limits will be helpful.

Also is route 1 very scenic during monsoons?
Old 29th May 2023, 15:10   #14415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
What's the best route from Madurai to Varkala? Google shows the shortest: Madurai - Rajapalayam - Tenkasi - Varkala (1).

But Madurai - Kovilpatti - Sankarankoil - Varkala (2) has better average speed. And last, if I do Madurai - Tirunelveli - Nagercoil - Varkala (3), that's has the best average speed (at the cost of 95 kms/40 mins extra). Extra distance and little extra time is not a concern if the drive is more relaxing. Which one should be prefered? Any inputs around road, traffic conditions and speed limits will be helpful.

Also is route 1 very scenic during monsoons?
Go for option 1. It's a scenic route and good for a relaxed drive, especially after you turn from NH to Rajapalayam road. Roads are largely good, but single carriageway. Very few good hotels in that route. Hotel Amil in Rajapalayam is one. https://maps.app.goo.gl/RY4TcMX6qswJ71Br6

Monsoons are around the corner in KL. I'm not sure if you can expect showers on the TN region that are adjoining the KL borders. Be prepared to cover an avg distance of 35-40 kms per hour once you cross Tenkasi and all the way till Varkala, assuming you're driving during the day.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 29th May 2023 at 15:15.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks