Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2023, 20:42   #14416
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Any idea where the remaining stretch of that highway will join at? Kanyakumari?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The stretch will go till it meets NH44 somewhere after Nagercoil I guess. Can take the NH44 till Kanyakumari. Though if we want to get into proper Tamilnadu without touching Nagercoil/Kanyakumari, guess have to exit before Nagercoil and take the NH944 to reach Kavalkinaru and get onto NH44.
If I remember correctly, this road will meet the NH44 via 47B Nagercoil bypass. So the end tip will meet the current entry point of 47B and proceed onwards to NH44 from there.

This makes more sense to 47B also, because although 47B's name is Nagercoil bypass, its not bypassing Nagercoil town at all today. The real Nagercoil bypass might happen once this road work gets fully completed.

[EDIT] With the increase in bypass usable road length, the toll rate increased from 80 to 120 for oneway
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 10:16   #14417
Senior - BHPian

Thrissur-Guruvayur: Alternate Road

For all those travelling to Guruvayur from Thrissur side,the regular highway is almost in shambles with concreting of many sections of the roads.The contractor who was doing it has almost completely stopped the work citing non-payment of dues is what I heard.`Due to this,they have just stopped all work and left the road in a complete mess.

The alternate road that you might want to take is https://goo.gl/maps/ag5dnSAi3CLUpKvv6

After Amala Hospital, take a left onto the Parappur road and go via Pavaratty.Narrow road,scenic road,lots of twisties,no jams,road condition is good.
ranjitp1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 13:13   #14418
BHPian

Re: Thrissur-Guruvayur: Alternate Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
For all those travelling to Guruvayur from Thrissur side,the regular highway is almost in shambles with concreting of many sections of the roads.
How about going upto Kechery to turning towards Pannithadam for Kozhikkode?
Old 14th June 2023, 13:32   #14419
BHPian

I am traveling to Kozhikode (Calicut) later this month from Bangalore. Request fellow members to advise on the best route to be taken. Not sure about the current road conditions as it has been more than 5 years since I travelled to Kozhikode by road. Good roads are a priority than shorter routes/distance.
Old 14th June 2023, 13:42   #14420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
I am traveling to Kozhikode (Calicut) later this month from Bangalore. Request fellow members to advise on the best route to be taken. Not sure about the current road conditions as it has been more than 5 years since I travelled to Kozhikode by road. Good roads are a priority than shorter routes/distance.
Bangalore - Mysore - Gundulpet - Bathery - Kozhikode. Roads are decent throughout, but expect new small potholes thanks to the ongoing rain.
Xaos636 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 14:14   #14421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Bangalore - Mysore - Gundulpet - Bathery - Kozhikode. Roads are decent throughout, but expect new small potholes thanks to the ongoing rain.
Thank you buddy. Will take this route for sure. While returning back I might visit Kutta/Nagarahole & want to know the road conditions from Kozhikode to Kutta/Nagarahole via Wayanad - Mananthavady. Any idea on this?
Old 14th June 2023, 14:53   #14422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Thank you buddy. Will take this route for sure. While returning back I might visit Kutta/Nagarahole & want to know the road conditions from Kozhikode to Kutta/Nagarahole via Wayanad - Mananthavady. Any idea on this?
Till Mananthavady/Kutta should be fine from Kozhikode. Road through Nagarhola was in shatters till some 2 months back atleast. Once you are past it, its all good roads again till Bangalore.
Xaos636 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 17:13   #14423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Is this the best route to head onwards to Kannur too?

I used to do Ooty-Masinagudi-Gundalpet-Sultan Bathery-Manathavady-Peria Peak- Thaliparambu-Kannur?

Which is the best route as of now from Ooty to Kannur?
Old 14th June 2023, 17:34   #14424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post

I used to do Ooty-Masinagudi-Gundalpet-Sultan Bathery-Manathavady-Peria Peak- Thaliparambu-Kannur?

I think Ooty-Masinagudi is not allowed until if you are a local or certain authorities. The rest of the route you mentioned itself is the easiest for your journey.
Xaos636 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 11:00   #14425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post

The route you used to take as mentioned above, except, from Peria, head to Nidumpoil- Kuthuparamba- Kannur. Don't know why or where you used to deviate to Taliparamba to reach Kannur.

If you take the Gudalur route, then Gudalur- Devarshola- Bathery and same route as above onwards

Last edited by sandsun7 : 15th June 2023 at 11:01.
Old 16th June 2023, 20:31   #14426
BANNED

Sultan Battery - Mananthavady - Boys town - Kottiyoor - Iritty - Sreekantapuram - Taliparamba - Kannur. Curvy, hilly, good surface and low traffic (for Kerala) road???

But why Peria? It is further North - in Kasaragod. Did he mean Perlassery?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 16th June 2023 at 20:33.
Old 16th June 2023, 20:47   #14427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Sultan Battery - Mananthavady - Boys town - Kottiyoor - Iritty - Sreekantapuram - Taliparamba - Kannur. Curvy, hilly, good surface and low traffic (for Kerala) road???

Mananthavady > Boys Town > Nedumpoyil > Koothuparamba > Chala > Kannur. Or connect to Thalassery-Mysore road further north at Mattannur. I haven't driven much in these areas, but what little I have seen the roads are all right - even the minor district roads.

There is a Periya beyond Boys Town. In fact the ghat road that descends from Wayanad via this route is called Periya Churam. This, and the Palchuram are the ones that connect Wayanad and Kannur districts.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 09:41   #14428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
As Binand clarified, the ghat road is called Periya ghats.
This is the Periya he is talking about.
https://goo.gl/maps/DPpHpm4tdCNzwiLB6
The colloquial pronunciation as far as I know is somewhat like P-a-e-r-y-i-a . The Kasargod Peria is P-e-r-i-y-a or P-e-r-i-y-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Or connect to Thalassery-Mysore road further north at Mattannur.
Kuthuparamba- Kannur via mambaram Chala anyday if the destination is Kannur or its suburbs.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 10:52   #14429
BHPian

I am traveling from Nileshwar to Bangalore on a weekday this week. Request fellow members to advise on the best route to be taken. Prefer good roads than shorter routes/distance.

Due to work, we will be able to start only by around 3PM from Nileshwar.

Thanks in advance!
VV
Old 25th June 2023, 11:34   #14430
BHPian

Hi All,
Planning to travel to Kerala in the first week of July (likely on Friday) early morning (about 5.30am) from HSR area (Bangalore) to Kerala (Chengannur area). what would be the best options please. Also anything to watch out for.

1. Bangalore -> Salem -> Coimbatore -> Kochi -> Alapuzha -> Chengannur (12+hrs)
2. Stay over near Kochi (8+ hrs) in the evening and start early next day morning for Chengannur
3. via Diandigul -> Theni -> Kumali (about 11 to 14 hours), with heavy rains I am worried about this section

Also please let me know the condition of the Alapuzha -> Changanessery by pass (is this complete & open now?)

appreciate your help.
thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks