Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2023, 09:38   #14491
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Could you please share a Google Maps link or any other details to locate this place? I would like to add it to my list of highway food options. There are several Temple City hotels in and around Madurai, so would like to exactly place this one.

I can see one here: (locatoin)
Looks like a perfect location. Totally after you come out of the Madurai bypass and are on the Rajapalayam road!

Last edited by ampere : 17th September 2023 at 09:39.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 11:49   #14492
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I can see one here: (locatoin)
Looks like a perfect location. Totally after you come out of the Madurai bypass and are on the Rajapalayam road!
Correct, this is the one, on the Rajapalayam road. I have been a regular there since last 5 years on my to & fro journey to Kollam. Due to the road expansion works they have constructed a new building at the same location slightly away from the road. Good food, clean restrooms and ample parking space.
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 12:31   #14493
BHPian

We are planning a 3 days trip to Kannur on 29th/30th. As per reports, the Nipah scare in well within control. However, I am a bit worried about restrictions on the Karnataka side, both while going in and coming back. We plan to take the standard Hunsur-Coorg Gate- Irrity route on our KA number-plate car. Does anyone if there are enhanced monitoring on the state borders ?
Old 21st September 2023, 13:02   #14494
Senior - BHPian

Don't think there are any restrictions on movement of people or goods through Makutta/Perumbady checkpost. At the max there may be temperature checks. Go ahead and enjoy the vacation.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 13:12   #14495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsroy View Post
Does anyone if there are enhanced monitoring on the state borders ?
It will continue till 10/10:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../103824818.cms
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 10:36   #14496
BHPian

A query to the bhpians from Kerala who are closer to the on-ground situation - we're planning a trip to Kochi, Allepey, Thekkady and Munnar between 21st to 29th October. My tour planner assures me that it is absolutely safe to travel on this circuit given the Nipah virus scare, but I still wanted to be sure before I take the final decision. I will have a 2 yr old travelling along so that's additional cause for concern.

What do you guys think? Can I take the trip as planned or should I cancel it?
Old 24th September 2023, 12:02   #14497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharatravan View Post
A query to the bhpians from Kerala who are closer to the on-ground situation - we're planning a trip to Kochi, Allepey, Thekkady and Munnar between 21st to 29th October.

What do you guys think? Can I take the trip as planned or should I cancel it?
The Nipah outbreak was contained within the northern district of Kozhikode. Currently the only places that are containment zones are a few wards in two northern panchayats of this district. There never was any positive cases in Ernakulam, Idukky or Alapuzha districts that your planned travel is going to take you.

Even in Kozhikode, there haven't been any positive cases for 8 days today and counting. As a matter of fact, restrictions are being eased as we speak (tomorrow onwards schools are going open for physical classes). As per protocol 21 days after the last positive case all restrictions will be taken off, which will be on or around 27/9.

My daughter is going on a school trip to these exact locations from 13/10. And I'm also going (on a separate trip) around then. Right now there is nothing to worry about unless a new case is reported, that too in central Kerala.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 12:32   #14498
BHPian

Dear BHPians

I am planning a trip from Bangalore to Ashtamudi fron 20th to the 24th of October. I will be driving solo. Gmaps suggested route is BLR-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Ashtamudi.
Alternate route being shown is BLR-Coimbatore-Kochi-Alapuzzha-Ashtamudi.
I will be driving with family comprising of a 8 year old, which one of the above options is better in terms of timing and road conditions.
I think the former route might need driving through some narrow winders.

Any other recommendations that need to be kept in mind. Any Nympah fear?
Old 28th September 2023, 13:13   #14499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_Redstreak View Post
Dear BHPians

I am planning a trip from Bangalore to Ashtamudi....
Via Salem - Karur - Dindigual - Madurai - Shenkottai - Aryankavu would be a better option than the 2 above, imo.

Nipah is now very much controlled and no new cases have been reported for the past couple of weeks. All restrictions in this connection are set to be removed by next week, as per reports.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 07:56   #14500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_Redstreak View Post
Alternate route being shown is BLR-Coimbatore-Kochi-Alapuzzha-Ashtamudi.
Any other recommendations that need to be kept in mind. Any Nympah fear?
After Thrissur you will begin cursing yourself for choosing this route. Then from Aroor to Cherthala, traffic will really slow you down due to the elevated highway work. I took this route last week and it was super bad.

No Nypah fear down south.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 08:10   #14501
BHPian

A friend wishes to know the status of Netta- Bhoothappandi- Aralvaimozhi route. Has anyone taken this path recently ? Please provide your valuable suggestions. He plans visiting Thripparappu region from Tirunelveli and is okay taking the route if the surface is manageable.
Some 5-6 years back this was very bad with the construction work going on at several sections. Of course, the regular NH was equally bad then. Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd October 2023, 19:22   #14502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
A friend wishes to know the status of Netta- Bhoothappandi- Aralvaimozhi route. Has anyone taken this path recently ? Please provide your valuable suggestions. He plans visiting Thripparappu region from Tirunelveli and is okay taking the route if the surface is manageable.
Some 5-6 years back this was very bad with the construction work going on at several sections. Of course, the regular NH was equally bad then. Thanks in advance.
Sorry can't be of help but I am also curious to know about the current status. Used to take this route back when Marthandam/NGL flyover work was going on and it was a lovely scenic route with a few bad patches.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 22:12   #14503
Senior - BHPian

From Mangalore to Wayanad to Vythri, which route should one take?

As per GMaps decided on following:
Mangalore - Madikeri (NH275) - Virajpet (SH27) - Gonikoppa (SH90) - Kutta (SH89) - Kattikulam - Koyileri - Wayanad - Vythiri.
Old 2nd October 2023, 22:17   #14504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

Mangalore - Madikeri (NH275) - Virajpet (SH27) - Gonikoppa (SH90) - Kutta (SH89) - Kattikulam - Koyileri - Wayanad - Vythiri.
You can also do Mlore-Quilandi-Vythri which is a straight road from Mlore to Quilandi and then left onto Waynad road. There are road works happening on the NH though.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 15:29   #14505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

Wayanad is a district. Vythiri is a town within the district. "Mangalore to Wayanad to Vythri" makes exactly as much sense as "Bangalore to Dakshina Kannada to Mangalore".

The route above is the best option for Mangalore-Vythiri given current conditions. Main thing, don't come down into the plains of Kerala where NH 66 redevelopment and general traffic & road conditions will slow you down substantially.

Be aware that in the early part, first Mangalore commuter traffic and then the road redevelopment work (Bangalore-Mangalore highway) will slow you down to excruciating levels. Bantwal-Mani Junction was particularly painful.

Once you turn off towards Puttur-Madikeri it is plain sailing.

For Madikeri-Gonikoppa there is no need to touch Virajpet - one could take the left turn at Murnad to reach Gonikoppa directly, which is slightly shorter and you are unaffected by the delays within Virajpet town.

Once you enter Kerala at Kattikulam, the route to Vythiri is one of these two:

Kattikulam > Mananthavady bypass > Panamaram > Kainaty > Kalpetta bypass > Vythiri

Kattikulam > Mananthavady > Tharuvana > Padinjarethara > Vythiri

The former is a KL state highway connecting to NH 766, so has better roads though a bit longer and extra traffic. The latter is a twisty, off-the-beaten-path route which is a pleasure to drive on. The choice is yours.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks