Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2024, 12:59   #14626
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Hi fellow TBHPians,

I'm planning a Bangalore - Shoranur trip on this saturday. I think there are poorams (Chinakkathur,mainly) during this period and Palakkad--Ottappalam stretch may have traffic blocks,diversions etc.

So, is it a good idea to take Mysore-Nadugani-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna route for a smooth ride? Anyone travelled recently on that route up-to Pattambi? Please share your feedback.

Panning to start by 6AM.

I just drove Perinthalmanna, Pattambi, Deshamangalam, Cheruthuruthi, Thrissur, and back. The return trip was via Cheruthurithi, Shoranur, Pattambi, and Perinthalmanna.
The Pulamanthole Bridge is open after repair work. The Shoranur Pattambi stretch has ongoing road construction work. Daytime drive, so traffic was heavy. Stuck at Koppam for almost 30 minutes.

From Vazhikkadav to Perinthalmanna, there are good roads but narrow,typical Kerala-type roads and traffic.
Bonemechanic is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 13:08   #14627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemechanic View Post
I just drove Perinthalmanna, Pattambi....
How is the road between Pattambi and Perinthalmanna? Heard it was in very bad shape for quite some time.
Old 21st February 2024, 14:25   #14628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
How is the road between Pattambi and Perinthalmanna? Heard it was in very bad shape for quite some time.
It is OK. Not many potholes,but not smooth. Expect much traffic during the day.
Bonemechanic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 21:44   #14629
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning Bangalore to Munnar trip very shortly, could anyone suggest me the best route.

When I lookup on Google maps it suggests 2 routes -
1. Bangalore - Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Poppara - Munnar
2. Bangalore - Salem - Avinashi - Gudimangalam - Marayoor - Gundumalai - Munnar.

Route 1 shows as slightly quicker though. I would appreciate any help and suggestions on best route to follow, road conditions et all.
Old 28th February 2024, 11:29   #14630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
I'm planning Bangalore to Munnar trip very shortly, could anyone suggest me the best route.

Two years back (April'22), I took option2 above on our way to Munnar and drove back via option 1.

Option2 gets slow after Avinashi with narrow roads and this time of the year(before start of monsoons) the drive through Chinnar Wildlife sanctuary was not great (it was dry, hot, not very scenic). It gets pleasant and beautiful only once you climb the heights closer to Munnar. You can consider taking it on your return journey, club it with Eravikulam wildlife sanctuary, cover some places around Marayoor.

Option 1 is just breath-takingly beautiful all the way from when you start the climb from Kothagudi Road junction. Its quicker, good roads, wide enough even with hairpin bends.

Last edited by ampere : 28th February 2024 at 14:32.
hsroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 12:06   #14631
BHPian

Hello,
Can anyone confirm if the Shell petrol pump at this address is open now and the operating hours? "NH 66, Kanjikuzhy, Mayithara, Mararikulam"
Are there any other Shell petrol pumps on the Palakkad-Kochi-Alapuzha highway?
Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 12:11   #14632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
When I lookup on Google maps it suggests 2 routes -
1. Bangalore - Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Poppara - Munnar
2. Bangalore - Salem - Avinashi - Gudimangalam - Marayoor - Gundumalai - Munnar.
Take the first route. Fantastic roads all through and you get the chance to drive the famous Munnar 'Gap Road'. Salem-Dindigul is also a much better drive than Salem-Avinashi. I last drove May of 2023, but conditions would not have changed much.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 10:17   #14633

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsroy View Post
Two years back (April'22), I took option2 above on our way to Munnar and drove back via option 1.

Option2 gets slow after Avinashi with narrow roads and this time of the year(before start of monsoons) the drive through Chinnar Wildlife sanctuary was not great (it was dry, hot, not very scenic). It gets pleasant and beautiful only once you climb the heights closer to Munnar. You can consider taking it on your return journey, club it with Eravikulam wildlife sanctuary, cover some places around Marayoor.

Option 1 is just breath-takingly beautiful all the way from when you start the climb from Kothagudi Road junction. Its quicker, has good roads, wide enough even with hairpin bends.
I want to know if you drove in ICE or EV. I plan to visit Munnar via this route in my MZ ZS EV. I am having range anxiety and not sure my EV can reach Munnar after charging at Dindigul. Did you see any EV along the way between Theni and Munnar. It will be beneficial to me.
Old 3rd March 2024, 09:36   #14634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajgir View Post
I want to know if you drove in ICE or EV.
I drove an ICE and I don't remember if I saw any EV. But you shouldn't rely on my experience two years back. EVs and charging Infra have grown a lot since. Pls check the appropriate forum.
hsroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 19:51   #14635
BHPian

Thalassery-Mahe Bypass opened to public for trial run:

All Roads to Kerala-screenshot-20240307-195349-dji_0624.jpg-avif-image-852-532-pixels.png

https://www.mathrubhumi.com/news/ker...-run-1.9386166

Last edited by darklord : 7th March 2024 at 19:54.
darklord is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 14:39   #14636
Senior - BHPian

We are driving to Nalliyampathy from Bangalore and thought of taking the Kozhinjanpara Chittur route to experience the Palakkad villages than sticking to the NH route through Alathur.

It will be good to know about the road situation in general though the ride is going to be the Fortuner.

Lunch option enroute will be helpful, preference is smaller shops that serves traditional Kerala non-veg food.

Plan it to take a 2-day break in Nelliyampathy while on the way to native and say Hello to the Hornbills. My last visit here was way back in 1996 in our good old Amby (had a brake failure on the way down!), things would have changed a lot since then and tips while there now is appreciated.
Old 28th March 2024, 19:15   #14637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
We are driving to Nalliyampathy from Bangalore and thought of taking the Kozhinjanpara Chittur route to experience the Palakkad villages than sticking to the NH route through Alathur.

It will be good to know about the road situation in general though the ride is going to be the Fortuner.

Lunch option enroute will be helpful, preference is smaller shops that serves traditional Kerala non-veg food.

Plan it to take a 2-day break in Nelliyampathy while on the way to native and say Hello to the Hornbills. My last visit here was way back in 1996 in our good old Amby (had a brake failure on the way down!), things would have changed a lot since then and tips while there now is appreciated.
Either Pollachi-Kozhinjampara-Chittur-Nemmara-Nelliyampathi or Pollachi-Meenakshipuram-Govindapuram CP-Kollengode-Nemmara-Nelliyampathi both are typical state roads,no problems as such.Good eating options are very limited once you leave Pollachi. Nandhanam is an option at Chittur,but very very ordinary place.

On Govindapuram road, Coco Lagoon is a good place.Paray Village county is the only other option at kollengode.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 10:38   #14638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Either Pollachi-Kozhinjampara-Chittur-Nemmara-Nelliyampathi or Pollachi-Meenakshipuram-Govindapuram CP-Kollengode-Nemmara-Nelliyampathi both are typical state roads,no problems as such.Good eating options are very limited once you leave Pollachi. Nandhanam is an option at Chittur,but very very ordinary place.
Thanks, I was thinking of deviating from Ettimadai to Velanthavalam as shown in Maps assuming that to be better than Pollachi. Please share your thoughts

Thanks for the hotel suggestions, I just came across this place in Pothundi with decent reviews, but doesn't seems to the best place for local food
Old 29th March 2024, 11:45   #14639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I was thinking of deviating from Ettimadai to Velanthavalam as shown in Maps assuming that to be better than Pollachi. Please share your thoughts

Thanks for the hotel suggestions, I just came across this place in Pothundi with decent reviews, but doesn't seems to the best place for local food
Velanthavalam road is good-no problems, narrow though. There is no gain as such, going via this route though as opposed to going via Pollachi in my opinion
Old 29th March 2024, 12:09   #14640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you want more details around Nelliyampathi,you can refer to the facebook group called Palakkad Trails which has lots of people from Nemmara,Palakkad,Chittur,Tatamangalam etc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks