Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2023, 18:45   #14581
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
1. Usually checks if any are limited to the document + alcohol / narcotics, sun film enforcement. No other issues as such.
Regarding sun film enforcement, My car has a 20% tint What is the fine amount? Any idea? I hope it's a challan and not forced to tear it off.

Last edited by ampere : 27th December 2023 at 18:45. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 22nd December 2023, 19:27   #14582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
What all should I know about Kerala police, RTO and forest department while driving a TN car in Kerala?

I am planning to visit Valparai- Athirapally, Munnar this Christmas weekend.

1. Besides RC, driving license, PUC is there anything to carry during checks?
2. I will be driving my father in law's car. Should I carry an authorisation letter from him?
3. Is there any restriction to carry plastic bottles or PET bottles into Valparai-Athirapally or Udumalaipettai- Munnar road?
There are numerous traffic cameras on the Kerala highways so you need to watch your speed. Authorities issue online challans for over-speeding and sometimes blacklist the vehicle if multiple violations occur. Also, speed limits keeps varying so please be mindful.

You should so carry insurance copy with you.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 22nd December 2023 at 19:49.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 22:38   #14583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranknair View Post
The traffic was heavy today.

Was a tough drive. It is high time that all the 4 lane roads are made 8 lane (if not at least 6 lane) with the ever increasing vehicles and lack of discipline. Impossible to drive with slow moving traffic blocking the right lane.
We started from Gottigere today afternoon at 2:30 pm. The experience was very similar. There was heavy traffic on the Nice road exit and all along the highway. All the toll gates were choked. However, It was a breeze after Salem till Dindigul. I just love that stretch!
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 00:10   #14584

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranknair View Post
Travelled today to Kochi. Started from BG Road at 6 AM. Reached Kochi at 4.30 pm (including 45 minutes break). The traffic was heavy today. L&T Coimbatore highway was choked at 12 pm (google maps asked to take a deviation telling that you can save 25 minutes - we did not take it though due to bad experience couple of years ago). Humongous queues at the intersection of the L&T highway and another highway. Lost almost 25 minutes there. Crossing Walayar, Kerala traffic was more than usual. Was a tough drive. It is high time that all the 4 lane roads are made 8 lane (if not at least 6 lane) with the ever increasing vehicles and lack of discipline. Impossible to drive with slow moving traffic blocking the right lane.
I was travelling in the opposite direction exactly at the same time. Almost lost 40-45 minutes in that stretch. People were making different lines and had blocked movement in opposite direction. More than the road widening, I think people should be taught about lane discipline. If awareness is not working, hefty fines should do.
madmax_rak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 05:32   #14585

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
We started from Gottigere today afternoon at 2:30 pm. The experience was very similar. There was heavy traffic on the Nice road exit and all along the highway. All the toll gates were choked. However, It was a breeze after Salem till Dindigul. I just love that stretch!
Very similar experience yesterday, took close to 4 hours to cross Salem and get on to the highway to Dindigul. It was smooth cruising thereafter.
Taking the Theni / Kumily route to Kollam this morning. Any recommendations for good breakfast spots in and around Thekkady either veg or non veg?
Old 23rd December 2023, 06:16   #14586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QlnBlr View Post
Taking the Theni / Kumily route to Kollam this morning. Any recommendations for good breakfast spots in and around Thekkady either veg or non veg?
We’ll also start from Dindigul shortly, planning to have breakfast at Spice Chimney. I’ve seen good reviews but never tried before.

Tusker Cafe is also a decent option. It’s a homely place.
Old 23rd December 2023, 20:58   #14587
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I dont know whether this route has been discussed before, but in case it isn't, would like to inform everyone about this option, from a recent travel I did :

chennai to kochi :
route : regular route via GST road (NH45) until ulundurpet - salem - walayar - kochi
distance : approx 670km
toll cost : approx 1100/-
runtime excluding breaks : started at 6am, nearly 11hrs (ulundurpet-salem with it's (divided-undivided) x loop and some flyover construction zones are a major bottleneck)

kochi to chennai :
route : kochi - muvattupuzha - neriamangalam - panamkutty - kallarukutty - rajakkad - poopara - bodimettu - bodi - theni (bypass) - batlagundu (bypass) - dindigul (bypass) - trichy (bypass) - get onto GST road (NH45) all they way to chennai
distance : approx 685km
toll cost : approx 550/-
runtime excluding breaks : started at 5am, nearly 11hrs (bodimettu-bodi can be treacherous if there are rains, landslide prone) but extremely scenic, in the non NH45 stretches

It's a complete no-brainer for me, if there are no rains, for kochi<-->chennai trips.
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 19:34   #14588
BHPian

Reached Palakkad this afternoon from Bangalore. Left Bangalore at 5.15am and reached Interior Palakkad in 8 hours including 30min break. Traffic was not very heavy but persistent all the way through. Experienced fog after Electronic city all the way to Krishnagiri, never experienced this heavy fog in recent years. Good part was the sane driving sense of other motorists. Got stuck near Olavakkod junction for 15 mins due to a culvert work with police allowing traffic in one direction alternatively. Avoid this stretch if possible.

Last edited by sansvk : 24th December 2023 at 19:54. Reason: Updated
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 07:55   #14589
Distinguished - BHPian

Few had asked the latest on Kochi - Trivandrum bypass and Alleppey - Changanassery. Too this route yesterday.

Travelled at 8.30am and return the same day by around 6pm (24th Dec)

Aroor - Thuravoor:
This where the elevated highway construction is happening and it was relatively free. At some sections it was slow, but never never got stuck in traffic. After 9am, this isnt the case. My friend experienced the worst the day before my drive and it was really bad.

Cherthala - Alleppey:
A lot has changed in the last 1-2 months. Looks like they are getting rid of signals unlike Kochi - Palghat. Could see many underpass/flyover constructions happening.

Alleppey - Changanassery:
This is almost done. Only at section they stop the traffic to let the other side go. All bridges are complete and wide now. Some bridges only allow single lane passages but traffic was low. Watch out for the shape change in road height since there's a final layer of tar to be laid.
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 12:17   #14590
BHPian

Guys, any update on Chennai - kochi via GST road ( chengalpettu- Tindivanam-Ulundurpet-salem- Coimbatore- palakkad-kochi), how are the road conditions, traffic in general, planning to start 4.30 am from poonamalle, kochi
Old 27th December 2023, 12:25   #14591
BHPian

All, Just a route and traffic update.

24/12/2023 - Bangalore to Thrissur- Start time at 405 am- Route taken- Krishnagiri, Salem, CBE bypass and Thrissur

Heavy traffic through out, the trip, however the tolls were surprisingly easy going, except Krishnagiri and Vijayamangalam toll booths each taking around 10-15 ins to clear. We stopped for BF at A2b just after Salem, that had some rush, but manageable. Coimbatore L&T bypass is a joke. Massive snarls all the way, due mainly to the signals. I dont understand how some on can collect toll for this stretch, that's still a dual lane road with no median. Lunch at Chennai Ananda bhavan at Koottupadha. Reached Thrissur at 245 pm. Barring one or tow errand truck drivers it was refreshing and less stressful too see the lane compliance and traffic discipline all the way through. This was my first ever drive on a peak traffic day, as I usually drive in a contrarian manner. So was a lil tense, but turned out to be better than I had imagined.

Drove back to Coimbatore on 25th with sparse traffic, reached in about 1:45mins.

26/12/2023.

Coimbatore to North Bangalore.

Contrary to popular opinion that 26th will be crowded, it turned out to be an easy drive. Let CBE at 1045 reached home at 515 after a 40 mins lunch break near Dharmapuri. No delay in any of the toll booths. Only EC booth took a couple of minutes.

Thanks for all help and inputs in this very thread.

The roads were good throughout. Radarbot app was very useful with speed limits on the Kerala side.
subbu567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 18:45   #14592
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijil.karim View Post
Guys, any update on Chennai - kochi via GST road ( chengalpettu- Tindivanam-Ulundurpet-salem- Coimbatore- palakkad-kochi), how are the road conditions, traffic in general, planning to start 4.30 am from poonamalle, kochi
GST - Roads are patchy (pizza topping filling, surprise potholes, molten 'wavy' tarmac that can cause car to tramline) until atleast the 2nd toll booth from chennai (both directions). there are 2-3 massive flyover construction zones until you reach ulunderpet

From ulundurpet to salem it's an alternate cycle of brilliant smooth 2lane + single lane undivided, with and without plastic poles forming a 'divided' 1lane. Expect to get stuck behind a 30kph truck for 5-10km stretches

Salem to walayar - there will be 2+2, 4+4 etc until you reach vijayamangalam toll booth. After this, it will become 3+3 and you will end up paying the highest toll charge in human history, at the next oncoming toll booth. This 3+3 used to be a gem when it was new. Now it's regularly smattered with potholes and what-the-hell-who-approved-this-repair flyover joints. Pathetic is the word I would like to use. L&T bypass is painless only between 12 midnight and 5am.

Last edited by venkyhere : 27th December 2023 at 18:47.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 21:47   #14593
BHPian

Planning to drive from BLR EC Phase 2 to Kottayam, with a start time of 3PM. Please suggest options for a good hotel with parking to stay the night (preferably Thrissur/adjacent to the highway) and then start early morning. All my drives (BLR-KTYM) have been early morning start (3AM), so curious if there is any advantage in opting between early morning or late afternoon start from BLR.
Old 1st January 2024, 09:04   #14594
Senior - BHPian

The new year brings good news to some; saw this in today's Mathrubhumi:

https://newspaper-mathrubhumi-com.tr...ml&_x_tr_tl=en

(Note: it is a Google Translate link; it will load in original Malayalam but should translate and switch to English in a few seconds).
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 10:57   #14595
Senior - BHPian

Hello Everyone and Happy new Year!

I plan to drive from Calicut to Hornadu this week and I am keen to know the state of the NH 66 till Mangalore. The default route by Google Maps always passes through Wayanad avoiding the coastal route unless I add a stop like Kasargod

Is the NH 66 section under construction and avoidable in that stretch? I am ok to take the hill route via Wayanad but the coastal route interests me more

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks