Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2023, 20:48   #14566

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
We often travel this route, and sometimes we start in the afternoon around 2 pm, and drive until 8 pm or 9 pm. We have stayed in Karur and Dindigul, and we mostly prefer clean & budget accommodations as it's just about getting a night's sleep. I think you can easily reach Karur by 11 pm.

In Karur, you can consider Sri Murugan Residency for a decent budget stay, and if you're open to spending more, The Residency is a good choice. If you plan to go all the way to Dindigul, Vivera Grand and Vari Park are good options.

All these hotels have ample parking space.
Do they have adequate parking space at Vivera Grand within the hotel premise that is safe and secure? Google reviews were giving varied opinion about the parking space. Hence thought of taking a first hand information.
Old 19th December 2023, 22:46   #14567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QlnBlr View Post
Do they have adequate parking space at Vivera Grand within the hotel premise that is safe and secure? Google reviews were giving varied opinion about the parking space. Hence thought of taking a first hand information.
Sorry, I don't have first-hand information. I know they have basement parking because I enquired once but then I stayed in Vari Park. Are you traveling this week? I'm traveling this week too.
Old 20th December 2023, 06:45   #14568

Quote:
Sorry, I don't have first-hand information. I know they have basement parking because I enquired once but then I stayed in Vari Park. Are you traveling this week? I'm traveling this week too.
Yes I'm traveling this Friday starting from Bangalore by 3 PM. Planning to break for the night at Dindigul and then proceed to Kollam next day. Any update on the road conditions from Kovilpatti to Sengottai, Kollam considering the heavy rains around that area? Or is it better to take the route via Theni,Kumali?
Old 20th December 2023, 09:16   #14569
BHPian

Guys, planning to start to Kochi from Bangalore (BG Road) on Friday the 22nd. Would the Attibele, Krishnagiri tolls be choked for a 5 AM start from home? I am assuming that majority of the crowd will be travelling on 23rd. If it is choked, might prefer travelling till Salem on Thrusday evening and staying somewhere on the highway itself (Radisson or Grand). Hence the question.
Old 20th December 2023, 09:51   #14570
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I'm traveling this Friday starting from Bangalore by 3 PM. Planning to break for the night at Dindigul and then proceed to Kollam next day. Any update on the road conditions from Kovilpatti to Sengottai, Kollam considering the heavy rains around that area? Or is it better to take the route via Theni,Kumali?
I have similar plans. I'll start around 2 pm from Bengaluru and take a break at Dindigul. We'll be staying in Vari Park. I'm not familiar with the Kovilpatti route; we usually take the Theni route since I'm from Pathanamthitta. However, if there were alternative routes, I would have chosen one to avoid the Sabarimala rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranknair View Post
Would the Attibele, Krishnagiri tolls be choked for a 5 AM start from home? I am assuming that majority of the crowd will be travelling on 23rd.
I'm not really sure, but I don't expect these toll gates to be congested by that time. I think most people travel on Friday evening or Saturday morning like you said.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 20th December 2023 at 09:55. Reason: Adding another reply
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 09:57   #14571

Quote:
I have similar plans. I'll start around 2 pm from Bengaluru and take a break at Dindigul. We'll be staying in Vari Park. I'm not familiar with the Kovilpatti route; we usually take the Theni route since I'm from Pathanamthitta. However, if there were alternative routes, I would have chosen one to avoid the Sabarimala rush.
Barring the Sabarimala rush, how is the road condition? I had taken that stretch only once in 2008 from Bangalore to Kottayam. Roads were generally okay with lots of twists and turns.
Typically, how long does it take for you from Dindigul to Pathanamthitta during this time of the year?
Old 20th December 2023, 11:10   #14572
BHPian

What all should I know about Kerala police, RTO and forest department while driving a TN car in Kerala?

I am planning to visit Valparai- Athirapally, Munnar this Christmas weekend.

1. Besides RC, driving license, PUC is there anything to carry during checks?
2. I will be driving my father in law's car. Should I carry an authorisation letter from him?
3. Is there any restriction to carry plastic bottles or PET bottles into Valparai-Athirapally or Udumalaipettai- Munnar road?
Old 20th December 2023, 11:29   #14573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
1. Besides RC, driving license, PUC is there anything to carry during checks?
2. I will be driving my father in law's car. Should I carry an authorisation letter from him?
3. Is there any restriction to carry plastic bottles or PET bottles into Valparai-Athirapally or Udumalaipettai- Munnar road?
1. Usually checks if any are limited to the document + alcohol / narcotics, sun film enforcement. No other issues as such.
2. No, that is not an issue. Just carry the orginal documents.
3. At KL forest checkpost near Vayachal, they take count of throwable plastic items (snack wrappers, single use water bottle etc) and give you a slip, which you need to show near forest exit around Athirapalli and get the count validated. Else, no restriction as such. Just avoid having multiple single use plastic items, so that count taking and validating is easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranknair View Post
on Friday the 22nd. Would the Attibele, Krishnagiri tolls be choked for a 5 AM start from home? .
You should not face any issues on Friday morning. Though, with 5AM start, you will be reaching around Salem around 9 AM meaning it may take some time for you to cross the town. If possible, do start a bit early and stop for breakfast past Salem. You will be able to reach KL much earlier that way, and also avoid the Friday evening peak time traffic in Kerala.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 11:32   #14574
BHPian

Quote:
Barring the Sabarimala rush, how is the road condition? I had taken that stretch only once in 2008 from Bangalore to Kottayam. Roads were generally okay with lots of twists and turns.
Typically, how long does it take for you from Dindigul to Pathanamthitta during this time of the year?
The road condition is really good, but yes, a lot of twists and turns. The average speed we are able to maintain is around 38 kmph. It usually takes around 6 hours. We start from Dindigul around 7 am and reach home by 1 pm, including a 30-minute break for breakfast and two 10-minute breaks. The Dindigul-Kumily stretch is easy, with bypasses for all major towns. We reach Kumily/Thekkady around 9:30-10:00 am and have breakfast there.

Quoting my old post below:

Quote:
I'm from Pathanamthitta and that's the route I always take. In fact, it's one of my favorite routes. I usually take ~12.5 hours, including breaks. The driving time would be ~11 hours.

I'm not sure if you have traveled on this route before but will break it down.

Bangalore to Salem: 200 km/3.5 - 4 hours.
Salem to Dindigul: 170 km/2-2.5 hours - The best stretch, my average speed there is close to 80kmph. A lot better than the crowded Salem-Coimbatore NH.
Dindigul to Kumily Lower Camp - 140 km/2.5 hours - Very similar to MC Road but mostly straight, the average speed is around 60kmph.
Kumily Lower Camp to Erumeli - 70 km/2.5 hours - This is the slowest stretch, narrow winding roads, and one needs to be more careful. If it rains, be even more careful but anyways the average speed would be ~30kmph.
Erumeli to Pathanamthitta - 30 km/45 mins. It'd be 45 km/1.15 hours for you.

Though the Kumily-Erumeli stretch is slow, it's much better than traffic blocks and crowded highways.
PS: The last time we traveled this route was 7 months ago in May.
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 11:40   #14575

Quote:
The road condition is really good, but yes, a lot of twists and turns. The average speed we are able to maintain is around 38 kmph. It usually takes around 6 hours. We start from Dindigul around 7 am and reach home by 1 pm, including a 30-minute break for breakfast and two 10-minute breaks. The Dindigul-Kumily stretch is easy, with bypasses for all major towns. We reach Kumily/Thekkady around 9:30-10:00 am and have breakfast there.

Quoting my old post below:

PS: The last time we traveled this route was 7 months ago in May.
Thanks for a detailed and informative response, much appreciated. Inclined towards trying this route this time around
Old 21st December 2023, 23:48   #14576

Hello, any tips about the Kochi - Kozhikode route right now? I know it’s heavily under construction and it’s Christmas time. I’d rather take a train but no go with tickets given the holiday rush.
Old 22nd December 2023, 00:20   #14577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZittingCisticol View Post
Hello, any tips about the Kochi - Kozhikode route right now? I know it’s heavily under construction and it’s Christmas time. I’d rather take a train but no go with tickets given the holiday rush.
Would suggest the coastal route through North Paravur - Kodungallur - Ponnani - Tirur- Parappanangadi - Calicut. The other route could be absolute chaos at times.
Xaos636 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 00:55   #14578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Would suggest the coastal route through North Paravur - Kodungallur - Ponnani - Tirur- Parappanangadi - Calicut. The other route could be absolute chaos at times.
Thank you. Isnt this route also under construction? And aren’t the roads narrow and through heavily populated areas?
Old 22nd December 2023, 01:01   #14579

Hi

I'm traveling from Hospet to Cochin via Tumkur - Bangalore - Salem route. Will be starting late evening from Hospet. Planning to stay somewhere near Tumkur. Any good hotels for stay along with family?
Old 22nd December 2023, 17:29   #14580
BHPian

Travelled today to Kochi. Started from BG Road at 6 AM. Reached Kochi at 4.30 pm (including 45 minutes break). The traffic was heavy today. L&T Coimbatore highway was choked at 12 pm (google maps asked to take a deviation telling that you can save 25 minutes - we did not take it though due to bad experience couple of years ago). Humongous queues at the intersection of the L&T highway and another highway. Lost almost 25 minutes there. Crossing Walayar, Kerala traffic was more than usual. Was a tough drive. It is high time that all the 4 lane roads are made 8 lane (if not at least 6 lane) with the ever increasing vehicles and lack of discipline. Impossible to drive with slow moving traffic blocking the right lane.
kiranknair is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks