Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2021, 15:00   #13696
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Travelling from Bangalore to Kerala and back by flight coming week end. Myself and wife are vaccinated. Two kids are not vaccinated. Would we need RTPCR for all of us during the to and fro journey? Or only required for unvaccinated kids? Or not required at all? Request fellow bhpians to revert if anyone has the info.
RTPCR is required for all travelers arriving from Kerala and Maharashtra, irrespective of vaccination. If you arrive without RTPCR, they will charge and do a quick test at Bangalore airport.
guruji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 10:48   #13697
BHPian

Need an advise, Iam travelling using a self drive car for the first time from Bangalore to Palakkad. Do we need to take permit pass for self drive cars at TN and Kerala?
Is this straightforward or do they make us wait for it?What are the documents required for it?
Old 17th November 2021, 18:38   #13698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
Need an advise, Iam travelling using a self drive car for the first time from Bangalore to Palakkad. Do we need to take permit pass for self drive cars at TN and Kerala?
Is this straightforward or do they make us wait for it?What are the documents required for it?
Yes, you need to take TN epass and Kerala epass. Both are just registrations and uploading documents for ID etc. The approvals are instant.
Old 17th November 2021, 18:42   #13699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
Yes, you need to take TN epass and Kerala epass. Both are just registrations and uploading documents for ID etc. The approvals are instant.
My query was about the self drive permit charges at the state RTO's
Old 17th November 2021, 19:17   #13700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that black number plate? If so, this is something that you need to check with the rental provider and see if they already have a permit taken. They are supposed to provide guidance on inter state traveling.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:13   #13701
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, sorry, i didn't read it carefully.
For self drive rental cars, you will have to stop at the RTO check post, show the papers and sign entry book. They do come with interstate permit, not sure if i paid a fee at the checkpost or not.
Old 23rd November 2021, 22:33   #13702
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. For all self-drive cars you have to make payment and take the pass at the RTO checkpost. It's a very nominal charge.
Old 24th November 2021, 11:24   #13703
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Wayanad from Bangalore this weekend. Kindly confirm if E-Pass + Double Vaccination Certificate is sufficient to enter Kerala.
Old 24th November 2021, 11:39   #13704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
I am planning a trip to Wayanad from Bangalore this weekend. Kindly confirm if E-Pass + Double Vaccination Certificate is sufficient to enter Kerala.
Double vaccination certificate is enough to enter Kerala, but while returning, you will need a negative RTPCR certificate to enter Karnataka.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 00:06   #13705
BHPian

Completed a Bangalore - Thrissur trip today. Running time excluding breaks and the traffic jam was 7h 20 min in my Hyundai Venue DCT 1.0. Few observations.

1. 5am start ensures you get out of the city with sparse traffic and lean traffic continues till the time you are within 30 km of Salem city around 7:30-8:00 am

2. At sankagiri bypass, Google maps suggests the 2 laned bypass road instead of the newly resurfaced 4 lane stretch. Continue on the 4 lane highway and ignore gmaps.

3. The L&T bypass still has pending work. Was stuck today in a traffic jam lasting close to 75 minutes due to tarring work. AVOID the L&T bypass for the next few days. Looks like this is the last stretch of work pending on the bypass. Otherwise rest of the work has been completed and roads are in superb condition

4. Absolutely no checking for pass or RT-PCR when crossing over at Walayar. No cars were stopped at the checkpost nor did I see police at the border.
vandemanw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 10:25   #13706
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

What's the current situation on the RTPCR, E-pass etc? Do we still need them?
I am driving from Cochin to Bangalore in couple of weeks. Would be helpful if someone could share what's needed to travel to and fro.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 10:49   #13707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Guys,

What's the current situation on the RTPCR, E-pass etc? Do we still need them?
I am driving from Cochin to Bangalore in couple of weeks. Would be helpful if someone could share what's needed to travel to and fro.
Did not see any sort of checking on Attibele border while entering Karnataka last week. But I have also heard reports that KL vehicles are randomly stopped and checked for RTPCR negative report.
At Walayar, no checking for epass or RTPCR now towards TN direction.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 00:08   #13708

Hey everyone!

What would be the best route to go from Mangalore to Kochi? Also any recommended stops along route?

Thank you!
Old 28th November 2021, 09:23   #13709
BHPian

NH-66 with a deviation to a coastal road near Tirur. The road goes through several towns and cities, so be prepared for traffic congestion. The speed limit in many places is 35-40 kmph and Kerala is known for strict speed enforcement.

Regarding stops, if you are looking to cover the journey in two days, Calicut (or Kozhikode) might be a good option for overnight stay. Tourist attractions: Bekal (beach and a fort, if you take a detour near Kasaragod), Kappad (beach 25km north of Calicut, where Vasco da Gama first landed), Kadalundi (15km south of Calicut, where there are some scenic backwaters), and Guruvayur (an old and famous temple). The area south of Kochi near Vembanad Lake has several backwaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjt96 View Post
Hey everyone!

What would be the best route to go from Mangalore to Kochi? Also any recommended stops along route?

Thank you!
ccnarayanan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 10:05   #13710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjt96 View Post
The no-nonsense route is NH 66 till Kuttipuram, Kerala state roads from beyond the Nila bridge through Edappal and Perumpilavu till Thrissur, and NH 544 from there to Kochi. The PWD road that you need to take to bypass Kunnamkulam is a bit bumpy but rest of this is just fine.

Having said that, most local drivers prefer the shorter detour Puthanathani-Thirunavaya-Kuttipuram to avoid Valancheri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnarayanan View Post
NH-66 with a deviation to a coastal road near Tirur.
This is the Feroke-Kadalundi-Tirur-Chamravattom route? It might not be advisable because:

1. To get to this at Feroke you have to skip/abort Calicut bypass or backtrack a bit.

2. The Chelari-Chettipadi road, I saw was blockaded at the Chettipadi end last time I went through here (last month). Probably still so.

3. All subsequent connections to this road are unnecessarily circuitous and will not save any substantial time.

4. The coastal NH 66 from Ponnani onwards is narrow, town-infested and terribly slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnarayanan View Post
Tourist attractions: ...
I would add Ponnani - the cradle of Islam in Kerala and Kalady - Adi Shankaracharya's birthplace. Thrissur has several magnificent churches.

Temples along this route are too numerous to mention. Apart from Guruvayur, you have Parassinikadavu, Calicut Thali, Kadampuzha, Thirunavaya, Thrissur Vadakkumnathan, Aluva Mahadevan and many more.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks