Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2021, 18:37   #13681
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The only two check posts that are strictly checking for RTPCR (in spite of 2 dose vaccine) are Makkutta (Kannur - KA border) and Muthanga (Wayanad - KA border).
Any info about Bavali checkpost? Are they mandating RTPCR?
Old 4th November 2021, 15:33   #13682
BHPian

I had to make a quick trip to North Paravur on 01 Nov. Got back to Bangalore last night.

On 01 Nov 2021:
  • Cross over from KA to TN at Attibelle: There was nobody manning the shelters set up for Covid related checks. This was the case during my past trips in Oct and Dec 2020 as well. I had the TN epass with me though (I couldn't find the Transit Pass option anymore, so just got myself a regular entry pass. There is no approval process. You just apply and instantly download the e-pass).
  • Cross over from TN to KL at Walayar: Every 2nd or 3rd vehicle was being stopped, and being asked something. My car wasn't stopped. I had the Kerala Short Visit Pass as well as the 2nd vaccination certificate print outs with me though. For the Kerala Short Visit Pass as well, there is no approval process. You apply and instantly download the e-pass.
On 03 Nov 2021:
  • Cross over from KL to TN at Walayar: As was the case during my past trips in Oct and Dec 2020, the highway was blocked and all traffic had to mandatorily enter the service road as soon as one entered the TN border at Walayar. However, on 03 Nov, when I passed this location in the afternoon, the check post shelters were empty with no personnel or police around. All vehicles had to continue on the service road for another 1 or 2 kms, and then merge on to the highway. I did have the TN epass handy though, in case they were present and checking for documents.
  • Cross over from TN to KA at Attibelle: Nothing at all. Also, it was night. I did not even spot the makeshift Covid shelters from where the police / health personnel used to operate.
sandeep.menon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 11:24   #13683
BHPian

I drove from Chennai to Kollam via the Aryankavu route yesterday. Reached the KL check post at around 7.30pm, there was a line of vehicles parked. We had to go to the counter where 1 person noted down my KL Epass number, from & to locations & Vehicle number. Took some 10 mins for this to finish. Again another policeman standing on the road asked us for these details before letting us proceed.

No questions asked about RTPCR or Vaccination certificate. Anyway we had the double vaccination certificate with us.

Pretty good roads through out barring few potholes somewhere in between Rajapalayam & tenkasi.

Last edited by revver : 5th November 2021 at 11:36. Reason: added the date of traveling
revver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 16:02   #13684
BHPian

Hello Folks!
I am currently at Velainkanni and would be leaving for Kodungallur tommorow.

Would like to know which route should I take ?
Would like to stick to multi lane highways as much as possible.
Old 6th November 2021, 08:48   #13685
BHPian

We completed a Changanasseri - Bangalore drive yesterday, via the Kumily - Theni route. The route has pretty good roads, with the route showing no signs of the recent rains. The Theni bypass has not yet opened and the drive through Theni can be quite bothersome (in terms of traffic).
Aiel is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 12:41   #13686
BHPian

We completed the journey from Cochin to Bangalore yesterday.

No checking at the Walayar border. The work in Coimbatore is almost done. There was nothing happening yesterday. As someone else mentioned yesterday the road surface has began to wear out at many places in TN. It’s no longer the tarmac it used to be. Maybe time for a resurface.
Old 7th November 2021, 23:34   #13687
BHPian

Which are the top recommended highway restaurants for breakfast somewhere in the stretch Walayar-Coimbatore-Avinashi, on the way to Bangalore? Willing to shell out extra or take some detour also if need be, if it helps in getting to a place high on hygiene & comfort (in context of covid).
Old 8th November 2021, 09:26   #13688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriacc View Post
Which are the top recommended highway restaurants for breakfast somewhere in the stretch Walayar-Coimbatore-Avinashi, on the way to Bangalore? Willing to shell out extra or take some detour also if need be, if it helps in getting to a place high on hygiene & comfort (in context of covid).
A2b (Adyar Ananda Bhavan) , a couple of kms after Walayar check post towards Coimbatore side is good. The restaurant is on the right side of the road while going towards Coimbatore, but there is a break in the median to cross over.
Has Clean restrooms and good food.
Location. https://goo.gl/maps/4BdPgA4YmNY5WGuN7
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 16:30   #13689
BHPian

I just finished a fantastic 1100km drive from Trichur to Hyderabad, with a stopover in Bengaluru. This is a route that many Bhpians take on a regular basis, so nothing new to add.

It irritated me, however, that there were so many barricades on the Salem-Hosur route.
Furthermore, I drove through five different states without being asked for a rtpcr or vaccination certificate.

I took advantage of the recent drop in diesel prices in Karnataka to fill the car. With two adults and a child in the car, maximum luggage in the boot and empty seats, I got a nice 20 kmpl in the Xuv300 with sedate driving ( averaged around 80-90 kmph).

Finally, it's also nice to see all of the restaurants open along the highway and people enjoying themselves.
Vijin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 12:05   #13690
BHPian

Planning a Bangalore-Thrissur trip this week. Had a few queries:
1. What is the best time to start for the minimum journey time (me and family not really early morning people/not in favour of 4am start)

2. What is the condition of the route via thoppur-mettur-bhavani? Is it preferred to the NH via salem, since it's about 20 km less?
Old 14th November 2021, 12:44   #13691
HKP
BHPian

Is RT-PCR still mandated in Coorg check-posts between Kerala and Karnataka? Anyone recently traveled to Kannur or Wayanad? Please share your experience.

\\hkp
Old 14th November 2021, 15:24   #13692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemanw View Post
Planning a Bangalore-Thrissur trip this week.

1. What is the best time to start for the minimum journey time
I have found that starting from Bangalore at 3 PM, entering Kerala (Walayar) at around 9 PM and driving through Kerala in the 9 PM - 1 AM slot the least stressful way of getting there (there = Perumbavur or Calicut). The only downside is that you pass through Salem city and commuter areas during their evening peak hours, and the traffic between Salem and Bhavani can be a bit on the higher side.

Quote:
2. What is the condition of the route via thoppur-mettur-bhavani? Is it preferred to the NH via salem, since it's about 20 km less?
Unless there is a compelling reason to take this route - a rendezvous, a picnic etc. - don't bother. Those 20 km you save will cost you an hour extra at least, if not more.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 15:43   #13693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Planning a Bangalore-Thrissur trip this week. Had a few queries:
1. What is the best time to start for the minimum journey time (me and family not really early morning people/not in favour of 4am start)

I generally now prefer a 6am start towards Kerala on the Salem Route. Helps get out of Bangalore quickly, for the rest of the stretch till Thrissur, don't think it would make much of a diffence irrespective of start time.

2. Thoppur Mettur is very patchy till Mecheri and slightly patchy till Mettur. Rest of it is is great condition. But as Binand mentioned, it will take much longer compared to the highway. Not worth at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKP View Post
Is RT-PCR still mandated in Coorg check-posts between Kerala and Karnataka? Anyone recently traveled to Kannur or Wayanad? Please share your experience.

\\hkp
I returned today to Bangalore from Calicut via Wayanad. RTPCR was checked at the checkpost at Moolehole, Bandipur and I don't think you can cross without it. Should be the same at the other forest checkposts in Wayanad and Coorg.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 09:30   #13694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKP View Post

\\hkp
Mandatory for entering Karnataka via Makutta (from Kannur) and as per the confirmation from Rajeev, mandatory in Muthanga (Wayanad) also.
No checking in the return direction towards Kerala though. And no checking if entering Karnataka through Dakshina Kannada district (via Thalappady, Sulliya) either is what I last heard from a friend who travelled last week.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 15th November 2021 at 09:32.
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 12:46   #13695
BHPian

Travelling from Bangalore to Kerala and back by flight coming week end. Myself and wife are vaccinated. Two kids are not vaccinated. Would we need RTPCR for all of us during the to and fro journey? Or only required for unvaccinated kids? Or not required at all? Request fellow bhpians to revert if anyone has the info.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks