Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2020, 20:59   #13051
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Friends, has anyone driven to Kerala and entered via Aryankaavu checkpost recently? Are there any covid specific checks at the border(aryankaavu) where one has to get down and submit your travel pass etc.?
A friend drove to Kollam from Chennai through Aryankavu check post a week back. A cop did ask them to show the pass and inquired where they’re coming from, where they’re headed to etc.

It seems only KL and TN are the only two states who’re asking for these registrations and passes despite the central government order to do away with this.

On an unrelated note, parents drove to Madurai from Palakkad through Pollachi and there was no checking on both sides at the Gopalapuram border.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 11:55   #13052

Hello

I was planning to travel alongwith family from Bangalore to Alapuzha through Hosur/Walayar/Kochi on 20th. Dec Just wanted to understand and be informed from the experiences of others who did Kerala trips recently . I have taken a Jagratha Pass to Alapuzha for a short term visit ( 7days)

1. Do we need to take a Tamilnadu pass too even if i don't plan to get down anywhere and just drive through
2. Are there any checks these days at the checkposts?
3. Any Road challenges en-route?( road conditions/ detours)
4. Anything else I need to bear in mind - covid/otherwise ?

regards
Old 18th December 2020, 12:59   #13053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meconi View Post
Hello

I was planning to travel alongwith family from Bangalore to Alapuzha through Hosur/Walayar/Kochi on 20th. Dec Just wanted to understand and be informed from the experiences of others who did Kerala trips recently . I have taken a Jagratha Pass to Alapuzha for a short term visit ( 7days)

1. Do we need to take a Tamilnadu pass too even if i don't plan to get down anywhere and just drive through

regards
You can drive without any issues through TN, just check if they are strict at your destination, (local authority in Kerala) . I went by bus week, and came back by car, no checking anywhere. Road condition up to Angamali is unchanged from July when I first first drove down.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 13:17   #13054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meconi View Post
Hello

I was planning to travel alongwith family from Bangalore to Alapuzha through Hosur/Walayar/Kochi on 20th.

regards
A friend drove from Bangalore to Kottayam yesterday. He had both TN transit pass and KL short visit pass. Better to have the TN pass too. There were no checks at the borders though. Roads are largely in good shape except for some portions in Kuthiran, though the potholes are filled one can expect a bumpy ride.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 18th December 2020 at 13:19.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 13:24   #13055
Team-BHP Support

Guys, none of the applications require an approval. They are auto generated as soon as you submit the application. I suggest you take the passes as it would be a hassle if you don’t have a pass and a cop stops the car.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 22:52   #13056
Senior - BHPian

Had made a quick dash to Thrissur Dt and back between 11th Dec and 13th Dec. To be on the safer side I had taken the entry pass for KL and transit pass for TN during the onward journey. No body bothered to even check the pass any where in TN and KL as well. So much so that on my return journey, I did not bother to get a TN transit pass again.

Hotels like Saravana Bhavan at Vaikuntam is now doing good business, but overall the vehicle density still seems to be less. Perhaps only people who really need to travel are travelling. I left Bangalore at 4:30 (1/2 delayed) and pulled into Thrissur town limits by 12:30 noon (around 1 hour early) !.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 20:08   #13057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, none of the applications require an approval.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
To be on the safer side I had taken the entry pass for KL and transit pass for TN during the onward journey.
Any idea what is the process for a Kerala resident to make a short visit to another state and come back?
Old 21st December 2020, 22:35   #13058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Any idea what is the process for a Kerala resident to make a short visit to another state and come back?
My understanding is that this pass business has completely stopped. That is why there is lax enforcement of the same. But for some reason GoKL is not declaring it open. GoKA etc. have very openly said that all this pass business is now no more needed.

I also observed that the checks by police, health officials etc have all been stopped. When I took the KL pass I had given the details like places of visit etc. Did not even get a single call (and I was not in the address which I had given in the pass/permit). Had friends in the police, and for them more than COVID check they were all bothered about the Panchayath elections (and two of them were deputed to Kannur district).
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 23:46   #13059
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
My understanding is that this pass business has completely stopped. That is why there is lax enforcement of the same. But for some reason GoKL is not declaring it open. GoKA etc. have very openly said that all this pass business is now no more needed.
You may not need a pass to do short term drives to other states from Kerala. But, once you are back in Kerala, there is this 14 day quarantine that is still active.

Can walk out of quarantine, if you test negative on 7th day.

Please correct me, if there are any circulars that says the quarantine is not required .
bijuks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 07:23   #13060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
Can walk out of quarantine, if you test negative on 7th day.

Please correct me, if there are any circulars that says the quarantine is not required .
Officially the quarantine rules are still applicable. Whether it is enforced, is a different question altogether.

The tracking of out of state travelers were ditched long ago.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:53   #13061
BHPian

Travelled from Bangalore to Cochin yesterday, Left at 6.30 Am and reached at 4.30 Pm. Roads in TN were full of KL vehicles and busy (maybe coming to Kerala for Xmas). Roads are in good condition except for small patches in Kuthiran but nothing that is of worry. Traffic in Kerala was sparse as opposed to before. Fast tag worked in all places, Even Paliekara toll was not very busy.

No check points in valayar. I had taken the short term visit pass and no calls from any health officials till now.
Knight Rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 15:06   #13062
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You’ve to register on the portal. And stay in home quarantine for 14 days.

My parents visited Madurai for a duration of 4 days and returned couple of weeks back. Although the pass was applied for their return and they entered through the Gopalapuram check post, there was no checking. Another visit is due this 24th for the Christmas weekend.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:53   #13063
BHPian

Guys!
Any updates on whether any new border restrictions are to be implemented in Kerala-Tamil Nadu border in lieu of the UK coronavirus strain?

Heard that they are gonna tighten the surveillance at airports. Will this translate to roadways too?
Old 23rd December 2020, 18:05   #13064
BHPian

Dear All,

My friend is looking to drive from Mumbai to Kozhikode this weekend so he can spend time with family for New Years eve. Based on what I read above, will advise he apply for the pass. Any suggestions for a driving route from Mumbai to Kozhikode? or does he just follow Google Maps?

Thank you.
Old 24th December 2020, 10:39   #13065
Senior - BHPian

Plenty of options available. Based on my experience, this route is preferred -

Bombay - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Kundapur - Mangalore - Cannanore - Calicut.

There other options available -
a. Reach Yellapur from Belgaum (via Dandeli route)
b. Proceed towards Bangalore from Hubli, go to Mysore (avoiding Bangalore) and take the Gundlupet - Kalpetta route
I have tried various options and my experiences are given here (there is another thread for similar query), but quite old and will need update on the latest road conditions (which I am told is much improved these days!) -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...to_threadtools (Stress buster!!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...to_threadtools (Kannur - Mangalore - Goa by road)

Please do search here -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th December 2020 at 11:15. Reason: Extra space

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks