Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2011, 17:10   #2656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr

That is why we are advising to avoid Pattambi - Perinthalmanna route if you are coming from South towards Nilambur. Instead, take Perumpilavu-Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri route. This will save time & fuel as you can do the whole "Perumpilavu-Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri-Nilambur" stretch in about 2 hours and the roads are in great shape too.
Well- Sorry, I missed to mention: my route was just Pattambi to Pmna and "had" to take this route since I got down from the train at Pattambi and was doing this stretch in my Parents' Santro to reach Pmna.
There arent much better options when we talk of this stretch "alone'.
Old 8th September 2011, 17:48   #2657
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Well- Sorry, I missed to mention: my route was just Pattambi to Pmna and "had" to take this route since I got down from the train at Pattambi and was doing this stretch in my Parents' Santro to reach Pmna.
There arent much better options when we talk of this stretch "alone'.
Looking at the other alternatives of alighting a train to proceed to Perinthalmanna, how is the Ottappalam-Perinthalmanna route, both Cherpulassery and any others, now? What is the choice for routes and conditions for a drive from Shoranur to Perinthalmanna?

Just curious : If you are on the right time, probably switching over to a Nilambur train from Shoranur junction and alighting at Angadipuram station is a good idea than taking a bus/car now from any station, right? This is purely for some advice to some friends/relatives visiting Thirumandamkunnu temple.

If you said 70 mins from Pattambi to Perinthalmanna alone, this is comparatively similar to the timings from Olavakkod (Palakkad main) station as well, right? Of course, you may be so used to Pattambi station or more comfortable with the same :-)
Old 8th September 2011, 18:01   #2658
Senior - BHPian

Going to drive to Thrissur this weekend. I am familiar till Coimbatore (BLR-SALEM-CBE). Please guide me.
Old 8th September 2011, 18:57   #2659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Going to drive to Thrissur this weekend. I am familiar till Coimbatore (BLR-SALEM-CBE). Please guide me.
My planned route from coimbatore to perumbavoor via shoranur is here. Based on the input from others who traveled recently, this is the only feasible route for time being.
Old 8th September 2011, 19:00   #2660
BHPian

Quote:
Where exactly in Thrissur? And do you have hard constraint to touch CBE? Also, what timings you plan to drive?
Old 8th September 2011, 19:15   #2661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Where exactly in Thrissur? And do you have hard constraint to touch CBE? Also, what timings you plan to drive?
No, we do not want to go to CBE. We are planning to start from Bangalore in the morning

I do not know the exact location in Thrissur.
Old 8th September 2011, 19:29   #2662
BHPian

Quote:
No, we do not want to go to CBE. We are planning to start from Bangalore in the morning

I do not know the exact location in Thrissur.
From CBE, take L&T Bye pass (Follow signs to Palakkad). Pass Walayar and join Palakkad. For Trissur, you can follow this route suggested by ranjitp1 that takes from Palakkad to Thrissur (through Ottapalam-Wadakkancherry)(link). I took this route while going to Ernakulam. It passes through Trissur town. This route is not fast, but roads are good. Around 20kms extra.

The regular NH47 from Palakkad-Trissur is in bad state. Well, more than the road conditions (My car has seen even worse roads ) , its the traffic jams that pose more threat.
Old 8th September 2011, 19:40   #2663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
From CBE, take L&T Bye pass (Follow signs to Palakkad). Pass Walayar and join Palakkad. For Trissur, you can follow this route suggested by ranjitp1 that takes from Palakkad to Thrissur (through Ottapalam-Wadakkancherry)(link). I took this route while going to Ernakulam. It passes through Trissur town. This route is not fast, but roads are good. Around 20kms extra.

The regular NH47 from Palakkad-Trissur is in bad state. Well, more than the road conditions (My car has seen even worse roads ) , its the traffic jams that pose more threat.
If you still need to better this by avoiding Avinashi stretch where 4-laning work is in progress and also witness heavy traffic most of the times, you can exit NH-47 at Perundurai (about 80 kms from Salem) and take Perundurai->Kangeyam->Palladam->Pollachi->Alathur (cross NH-47 here)->Wadakkanchery and then follow the route above. You can also avoid the Onam-special mess at Walayar check-post if you take this route.

I am assuming that you are not considering the Kanakapura->Sathyamangalam route at all in your plans !

The other option of Mysore->Gudalur->Nilambur route is currently unpredictable due to land-slides in the Nadugani ghat road section.
Old 8th September 2011, 19:54   #2664
BHPian

Quote:
If you still need to better this by avoiding Avinashi stretch where 4-laning work is in progress and also witness heavy traffic most of the times, you can exit NH-47 at Perundurai (about 80 kms from Salem) and take Perundurai->Kangeyam->Palladam->Pollachi->Alathur (cross NH-47 here)->Wadakkanchery and then follow the route above. You can also avoid the Onam-special mess at Walayar check-post if you take this route.

I am assuming that you are not considering the Kanakapura->Sathyamangalam route at all in your plans !

The other option of Mysore->Gudalur->Nilambur route is currently unpredictable due to land-slides in the Nadugani ghat road section.
Timing is the crucial aspect. Avinashi stretch is not bad at all. Only if you land at peak time (8:30-11AM) you'll encounter traffic. Otherwise, its smooth sail. At Walayar, yes, there is always a risk. One option is to take detour at KG Chavvadi and join at Alathur. Not sure about this road condition. From Alathur, you can take Pazhayannur road to join Shorannur road. I had taken this road last year due to a traffic jam. Road is narrow, and you need to frequently ask for directions.

The best time to start from Bangalore is by 3-3:30 AM. That way, you''ll reach palakkad by around 10AM .
Old 8th September 2011, 20:12   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Timing is the crucial aspect. Avinashi stretch is not bad at all. Only if you land at peak time (8:30-11AM) you'll encounter traffic. Otherwise, its smooth sail. At Walayar, yes, there is always a risk. One option is to take detour at KG Chavvadi and join at Alathur. Not sure about this road condition. From Alathur, you can take Pazhayannur road to join Shorannur road. I had taken this road last year due to a traffic jam. Road is narrow, and you need to frequently ask for directions.

The best time to start from Bangalore is by 3-3:30 AM. That way, you''ll reach palakkad by around 10AM .
Yes. Timing is crucial for Salem-Avinashi-Walayar-Palakkad route.

My preferred timings as follows:
Bangalore (read Silk Board junction) : 4 AM
Salem cross-over from NH-7 to NH-47 : 6.30 AM (with a 10 minute break for tea/coffee just after descending Thoppur ghats)
Avinashi Town : 8 AM
Beyond this, timing depends on your breakfast break. Would suggest either the ones just at the end of L&T bye-pass (I think Rajabhojanam or so and another one nearby) or KTDC Aaram motel just 8 kms (next to the sign-board that says so) before Palakkad. If you need to take Shoranur route, you have to go straight at Chandranagar junction where NH-47 (Palakkad bye-pass) turns left. Just after you cross the junction, there are some good dosa-joints on your left if you are comfortable with it or when you are crossing Palakkad to proceed towards Shoranur route (even if you take Calicut route which is NH-213 upto Mundur and forks off to Parli), you may get some good hotels on the way, perhaps with a slight detour.

There is also some good looking hotel that I noticed at the entrance to Amrita Institute at Ettimadai which will be just a few kms before Walayar.

BTW, taking detour at KG Chavvadi and joining back at Alathur may not be worth the effort since you will venture out into an unknown territory altogether. That road has lot of curves and narrow at many places which will cause extreme discomfort when a lorry (frequently encountered species here !) comes in the opposite direction. And after rains, you can never be sure if you encounter mini-lakes on the middle of the road too !

Last edited by ajithbr : 8th September 2011 at 20:18.
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 20:38   #2666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr

Looking at the other alternatives of alighting a train to proceed to Perinthalmanna, how is the Ottappalam-Perinthalmanna route, both Cherpulassery and any others, now? What is the choice for routes and conditions for a drive from Shoranur to Perinthalmanna?

Just curious : If you are on the right time, probably switching over to a Nilambur train from Shoranur junction and alighting at Angadipuram station is a good idea than taking a bus/car now from any station, right? This is purely for some advice to some friends/relatives visiting Thirumandamkunnu temple.

If you said 70 mins from Pattambi to Perinthalmanna alone, this is comparatively similar to the timings from Olavakkod (Palakkad main) station as well, right? Of course, you may be so used to Pattambi station or more comfortable with the same :-)
Well, you are absolutely spot on with ur comments and the alternative suggessions. To add, I have tried out these at various occasions too but just didn't found any to be that good to be applied this time. For some one to come and pick-up u from station, Pattambi @just 24kms is better giving a sense? of proximity.
Getting the train from Shornur is definitely the 1st one in my alternatives' list but for that, waiting time at SRR is 65 mins - not that comfortable in the morning hours with kidos u know what I mean- all morning chores take priority.
Travelling single, the fastest option is ALWAYS getting down at Olavakkode and either getting a bus or drive down to Pmna- either way u r just 70-80 mins max away from Pmna. -ives (being with family) are of course the odd hours when u r alight@ Olvakod. Road condition wise too, no issues -whatsoever. I just love driving thru those winding roads given the surface remains good.
Ottapalam to pmna doesnt give u any faster times. Though few months back I discovered that Otapalam to Cherplssry route has been relaid superbly (with mechanized paver) for the first time in my life the route that follows it to Pmna thru Thootha dissapoints during most time of the year. Optional route Kulappuly Pattambi again, is only partly good as u see.
In another angle and as of Current, routes around Pmna are just too bad except for NH213 :(
Old 8th September 2011, 21:16   #2667
Senior - BHPian

I am just back from a trip to Mannarkad, in Palakkad district.

Roads are good on 4 lane section and mostly broken ith umpteen diversions after that until L&T bye-pass and it is a pain to drive. Road between bye-pass and Kerala border is fair with quite a few bad patches. Surface is slightly better from Kerala border to Palakkad. Palakkad bye-pass towards NH 213 is pathetic, no tar on the entire road and a very rough ride. Road is much better once you get into NH 213 almost all the way except for some 7-8 patches of really bad segments in between and in Mannarkad town.

Took 9 hours to reach my destination after a start from home at Bangalore at 6AM, a total distance of 440 kms. Of this initial 120 kms took about 2.30 hrs to cover including a half hour breakfast in Shoolagiri. I was driving this distance in a "max FE" mode, a screen shot of my FE reading is in another thread. Lunch break was at Rajabhojanam after L&T bye-pass at about 1PM.

Came back yesterday, starting at 11 AM from Palakkad. Took 8 hours to reach Bangalore. Very high traffic till 4-lane starts and broken roads affect speeds significantly. I have done the same stretch in 6 hrs earlier.

Last edited by vasoo : 8th September 2011 at 21:18.
Old 8th September 2011, 21:37   #2668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I am just back from a trip to Mannarkad, in Palakkad district.

Roads are good on 4 lane section and mostly broken ith umpteen diversions after that until L&T bye-pass and it is a pain to drive. Road between bye-pass and Kerala border is fair with quite a few bad patches. Surface is slightly better from Kerala border to Palakkad. Palakkad bye-pass towards NH 213 is pathetic, no tar on the entire road and a very rough ride. Road is much better once you get into NH 213 almost all the way except for some 7-8 patches of really bad segments in between and in Mannarkad town.

Took 9 hours to reach my destination after a start from home at Bangalore at 6AM, a total distance of 440 kms. Of this initial 120 kms took about 2.30 hrs to cover including a half hour breakfast in Shoolagiri. I was driving this distance in a "max FE" mode, a screen shot of my FE reading is in another thread. Lunch break was at Rajabhojanam after L&T bye-pass at about 1PM.

Came back yesterday, starting at 11 AM from Palakkad. Took 8 hours to reach Bangalore. Very high traffic till 4-lane starts and broken roads affect speeds significantly. I have done the same stretch in 6 hrs earlier.
Have you ever tried Mannarkad->Melattoor->Kalikavu->Vazhikkadavu->Gudalur->Bangalore route which should be about 80 kms shorter? If yes, how is the "Mannarkad->Melattoor" stretch?
Old 8th September 2011, 21:53   #2669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you ever tried Mannarkad->Melattoor->Kalikavu->Vazhikkadavu->Gudalur->Bangalore route which should be about 80 kms shorter? If yes, how is the "Mannarkad->Melattoor" stretch?
I checked about this with some of my friends and got a negative feedback about the road quality around Nilambur, hence did not attempt that route.
Old 8th September 2011, 23:09   #2670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You could go via shornur-ottapalam-thrissur.roads are very good,and except for the railway gate at wadakancheri,the rest is a smooth ride.I have stopped taking the thrissur-palakkad road since january this year and now there is just no road.you may end up driving an extra 15kms,but thats a small price to pay considering the fact that your car may end up with broken parts.!
Hi:
Driving down to Kochi this weekend 10-12 Sep.,'11.
Proposed route Blr-Salem-Palakkad-Shoranur-Trissur-Kochi

Three Qs, seeking details of the route taken by you:

1. Do you detour the Avinashi - L&T byepass sector via Perundurai and Kangayam ? Likely to be traversing this sector around 10.30 am

2. From Chandranagar Jn, Palakkad to Ottapalam, do you go thru' Palakkad town or do you byepass it ?

3. Similarly, @ Thrissur do you go thru' the town or byepass it, to join NH 47 at Mannuthy jn or via Ollur joining at Thalore jn ?

Thanks,
RS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks