Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2016, 19:27   #10156
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Dear All,

Need a suggestion. I am currently in Alleppey and driving back to Hosur tomorrow morning. While coming I took Coimbatore and Cochin route. Is it the best route on the way back as well? Crossing Coimbatore and Cochin were a pain.

Planning to start at around 6 AM. How long will it take to reach Hosur?

Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 19:44   #10157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skotha View Post
Need a suggestion. I am currently in Alleppey and driving back to Hosur tomorrow morning. While coming I took Coimbatore and Cochin route. Is it the best route on the way back as well? Crossing Coimbatore and Cochin were a pain.
Stick to the NH that should be the fastest. Try to start a tad earlier so that you can pass Kochi- Ernakulam before the traffic starts to build. Once you are past Angamaly, the next bad stretch would be Mannuthy to Vadakkencherry. Past this, you will have 4 lanes most of the way.

Last edited by ampere : 30th December 2016 at 09:24. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 20:34   #10158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

Thanks
Since you are not familiar with the internal routes,sticking to the NH would be the best bet for you.

Leaving as early as possible is the key.6am dep should see you reaching Hosur by 3-4pm
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 20:44   #10159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am currently in Alleppey and driving back to Hosur tomorrow morning. While coming I took Coimbatore and Cochin route. Is it the best route on the way back as well? Crossing Coimbatore and Cochin were a pain.

NH 47 via Kochi-Palakkad-Salem is indeed the best route. I'd say about 5 hours for Alappuzha-Palakkad and another 5 hours for Palakkad-Hosur, for a total of 10 hours. Kochi bypass (Kundannoor-Vyttila-Palarivattom-Edapalli), Kuthiran Ghat, Walayar-Coimbatore and Salem Bypass are the time consuming stretches that you need to watch out for.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 11:23   #10160
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone taken Courtallam - Punalur - Adoor - Changanassery - Cochin route recently? If so, how is the road condition? Or any other better route from Courtallam to Cochin?
Old 29th December 2016, 13:13   #10161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Has anyone taken Courtallam - Punalur - Adoor - Changanassery - Cochin route recently? If so, how is the road condition? Or any other better route from Courtallam to Cochin?
Instead of coming via Chenganacherry from Adoor, come via Kayamkulam, Alleppey. The the work of widening of MC Road is still going on.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 13:36   #10162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Instead of coming via Chenganacherry from Adoor, come via Kayamkulam, Alleppey. The the work of widening of MC Road is still going on.
Thank you! Any idea about the road condition between Courtallam and Adoor?
Old 29th December 2016, 16:13   #10163
BHPian

Quote:
I did Tirunelveli - Kochi one year back and road from Shengottai to Adoor and then to Kayamkulam was all good.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 17:16   #10164
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Arun - I would suggest taking Courtallam - Punalur - Bharanikavu - Chackuvalli - Karunagapally - Kayankulam - Alleppey route.

I did this stretch 5 months ago. The roads were good till Karunagapally. The Kayankulam-Alleppey stretch was manageable.
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 17:21   #10165
BHPian

Quote:
Kerala border has heavy traffic due to Sabarimala season. There are occasional traffic pile up, due to Railway work on one side of the road in this stretch. (Aryankavu- Thenmala area)
mykal shoemaker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 19:44   #10166
Team-BHP Support

+1.

Themala section can be quite jam due to Sabarimala season. Need to account for that aspect.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 19:51   #10167
BHPian

Isn't the Sabarimala nada closed now? They'll reopen only in January again.
Old 29th December 2016, 21:00   #10168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
No. It's makaravilakku time and temple reopens tomorrow for that. Entire December time is peak traffic for Kumiki as well as Shengottai highways.
Old 30th December 2016, 07:28   #10169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Reached Vagamon from Palakkad via Ottapalam-Mannuthy-Angamaly-Muvzhattupuzha-Thodupuzha-Muttom-Moolamuttom-Vagamon. Roads till Moolamuttom is good, there on the roads are narrow, patchy, twisty, with few steep hairpins but definitely motorable. Took about 7 hours including a 40 min lunch break.
For the 2nd leg of my journey, I had to come down from Vagamon to Kochi. I took the Vagamon-teekoy-Pala-kuravilangad-kadathurthy-kochi route. The road to teekoy is wider than the Moolamuttom route I used to climb up to Vagamon, but it's again patchy and broken in places with moderate traffic. This seems to be the most popular route to reach Vagamon and is also the bus route. From there on the roads were good all through out. Took 3.5 hours to reach Kochi with two minor breaks for kids.
Old 30th December 2016, 09:19   #10170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Yes, for a temporary period of 4 days after December Mandala Pooja on 26th. But, reopens for Makaravilakku in 30th.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks