Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:35   #10291
BANNED

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Update on Kuthiran from NHAI:

1. Tunnels will be completed in 2 weeks (supposedly delayed because of a court injunction that has been vacated)

2. Approach road and bridges to tunnels to be completed within 3 months

3. Entire Vadakkanchery - Mannuthy stretch to be FULLY operational by end May.

Let's see if this happens.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:01   #10292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Expect heavy traffic between Nilambur and Vazhikkadav during daytime. Edakkara, Chungathara and Nilambur towns can be bottlenecks.
Could you please give me an indication on how much time should be estimated for driving from Nilambur to Gudalur? l am looking at a worst case scenario during day time to plan my start time.
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:10   #10293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Could you please give me an indication on how much time should be estimated for driving from Nilambur to Gudalur? l am looking at a worst case scenario during day time to plan my start time.
You would take 1 hour to 1.5 hours max. If before 8 AM, you could save at least 15-20 minutes.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:10   #10294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hi All,

I am traveling this Thursday for a long weekend in Nilgiris. Could already see the update from Gajadonga that roads are good around Gudalur. Is there any impact in Nilgiris due to Jallikattu protests?

Any update on the road conditions of below stretches would be really helpful.

1) Nilambur - Gudalur
2) Masinagudi - Kalhatti - Ooty
3) Ooty - Avalanche
4) Ooty - Pykara - Gudalur
I had travelled Kochi-Nilambur-Gudalur-Masinagudi-Kalhatti-Ooty in the last week of December. So for (1) & (2), I can give you updates.

Nilambur-Gudalur:

* Nilambur-Chungathara-Vazhikadavu is quite narrow with heavy traffic; road condition is quite good.
* Vazhikadavu-KL/TN border is twisty ghat road. My family invariably ends up having travelling sickness in this stretch. Keep barf bags if you have the same problem.
* KL/TN border-Nadugani junction: Some bad roads with deep potholes; be careful or you'll scrape your undercarriage.
Nadugani-Gudalur: Passable road. Not great surface. Occasional speed breakers might cause distress.

Masinagudi-Ooty:

* Looked like recently resurfaced road. Very narrow for flat sections; two vehicles in ghat sections except points where rocks jut onto the carriageway.
* The local drivers are mad. Avoid TN-43 vehicles like the plague. They have the right of way, as per them.
* No complaints about the road surface.

I have dashcam grabs for these two sections, but they are 10GB+ so will not upload unless you really need it.

The Jallikattu protests are I think in the plains of TN; Trichy/Madurai and points south & east.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:22   #10295
BHPian

With police actions against protestors happening today, there are chances of more aggressive protests. Keep an eye on news channels.
Old 23rd January 2017, 15:51   #10296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

I have dashcam grabs for these two sections, but they are 10GB+ so will not upload unless you really need it.
Hi, what car do you drive, did you manage to avoid scrapes?
I was planning to do this stretch sometime in April in my old Baleno.
My car is more prone to underbelly scratches if proper care is not given. The last we had traveled this stretch was in August and as I could remember never did it scrape anywhere on the entire journey (Tirur - Nadugani - Gundlupet - ChamarajNagar-Bangalore) even with 5 on board and a boot full of luggage. But yes there were some good potholes which could easily be avoided these might have grown up now.
So yes if you could share the footage it would be helpful (probably just a part where the most deepest ones are) so that I could access before planning our route next time.

I could even personally give you a visit if you live or work somewhere close
to Whitefield

Last edited by unni246 : 23rd January 2017 at 15:52.
Old 23rd January 2017, 17:16   #10297
Senior - BHPian

Nadugani - Gundulpet Roads are good throughout
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:05   #10298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Hi, what car do you drive, did you manage to avoid scrapes?
I drive a Honda Civic - among the cars with the lowest GC I'd imagine. Mostly I avoid scrapes with careful driving.

Quote:
So yes if you could share the footage it would be helpful (probably just a part where the most deepest ones are) so that I could access before planning our route next time.
The full Nadugani ascent is a 4.5 GB video, so I'll skip that unless really necessary. The big pothole is in this video:

Seek to about 2:05 where you will see the KL/TN border markings, and then follow the vehicle for about 20 seconds - you will find the worst potholed section on the ghat. Youtube has ruined the video's quality though.

This trip was on 25/12/2016.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:39   #10299
BHPian

Quote:
I drive a Honda Civic - among the cars with the lowest GC I'd imagine. Mostly I avoid scrapes with careful driving.
Haha, You are the king then. The Civic needs a lot more care

Quote:
The big pothole is in this video:

Seek to about 2:05 where you will see the KL/TN border markings, and then follow the vehicle for about 20 seconds - you will find the worst potholed section on the ghat. Youtube has ruined the video's quality though.
Thanks for the Video. I guess that's the samespot which had a deepest pothole the last time we travelled, only that it's bigger now.

I also see rock stones piled up at some points, probably they have a plan to patch up this stretch soon.

Off topic I see your dash cam's also displaying the km/h. How does it get the input? Also is there a lag?
Old 23rd January 2017, 20:14   #10300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Off topic I see your dash cam's also displaying the km/h. How does it get the input? Also is there a lag?
I suppose every dashcam with GPS support should be able to calculate the speed. Since it is GPS-based there is indeed a lag/difference when compared to the speedometer (in the case of the DP220, it is not more than 1-2 kmph at these low speeds).
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 20:20   #10301
BHPian

Anyone please detail the route from Alleppey to Munnar. Should I follow NH 66 & 85 or via SH 40/15/15 up to Muvatupuzha? Will be doing this leg in the latter half of next week.
Old 24th January 2017, 09:50   #10302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Anyone please detail the route from Alleppey to Munnar. Should I follow NH 66 & 85 or via SH 40/15/15 up to Muvatupuzha? Will be doing this leg in the latter half of next week.
Go via Cherthala, Aroor, Kundannoor (turn right), Tripunithura Mini Bypass, East Fort, Thiruvankulam, Muvattupuzha. If you pass Tripunithura before 7 am, it is the best and fastest.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 20:59   #10303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Go via Cherthala, Aroor, Kundannoor (turn right), Tripunithura Mini Bypass, East Fort, Thiruvankulam, Muvattupuzha. If you pass Tripunithura before 7 am, it is the best and fastest.
Dear Johnny,

thank you for your advice on the route from Alleppey to Munnar. Before this leg I will be travelling from Kanyakumari to Alleppey, as per Google I have to pass through Trivandrum, please advice on the following:-

a) Is this the best route.
b) Will there major traffic-will be leaving KK around 0830 hrs.
c) How long will it take to reach Alleppey_ I drive fast but not rashly.
d) Is there another route-not done this stretch at all-I have been to Alleppey via the North Approach.

Regards

Jude
Old 26th January 2017, 20:26   #10304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Before this leg I will be travelling from Kanyakumari to Alleppey, as per Google I have to pass through Trivandrum, please advice on the following:-

a) Is this the best route.
b) Will there major traffic-will be leaving KK around 0830 hrs.
c) How long will it take to reach Alleppey_ I drive fast but not rashly.
d) Is there another route-not done this stretch at all-I have been to Alleppey via the North Approach.
I drove from Kanyakumari to Palakkad, via Alleppey, few days back. Complete journey was through old NH 47 (NH 66/544 now).

- There was some bridge construction going on at Marthandam. I got stuck there for 2 hours without moving an inch. Heard from the locals that the snarl is common there. So look for an alternate route to by-pass Marthandam.
- There was heavy traffic from Kerala border till Kazhakoottam(after Trivandrum City). Difficult to overtake in this stretch.
- Manageable traffic from Kazhakoottam till Alleppey, except a few kms near Kollam.
- It will take around 6:30 to 7 hrs on average. If you go through Marthandam, add 2-3 hrs to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
In that case won't it be better to avoid the Nagercoil route and instead take Shengottai route via Tirunelveli bypass on NH 7 ? I don't have first hand experience driving in this route but just thinking if that would work better given the problem at Marthandam ?
This looks better for Kanyakumari-Alleppey. This route has some scenery too.

I did not know about the Marthandam traffic issue, so took the route suggested by google. If i were to do that again, i will probably take Thirunelveli-Madurai-Dindigul-Pollachi route to Palakkad.

Last edited by deerhunter : 26th January 2017 at 20:45.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 20:35   #10305
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
- It will take around 6:30 to 7 hrs on average. If you go through Marthandam, add 2-3 hrs to this.
In that case won't it be better to avoid the Nagercoil route and instead take Shengottai route via Tirunelveli bypass on NH 7 ? I don't have first hand experience driving in this route but just thinking if that would work better given the problem at Marthandam ?

Last edited by NPV : 26th January 2017 at 20:37.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed