Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2014, 08:42   #6346
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Coffee Day is good for the relaxing part. Some times we carry breakfast, stop in front of ccd., have it and then get into the CCD for a coffee and some relaxation.

2+ hours to Mysore is easily doable while driving at speeds of ~80kmph. I normally take 2.5 hours starting from belandur going via hosur road, nice road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I got home at around 12:30 PM. Here are the things to note:

1. There is a place about 16 km beyond Chamarajanagar towards Gundlupet where the road is dug up to lay a pipeline. It is a short diversion and looks temporary, but watch out.

2. The Kalpetta bypass is a boon! I crossed the town in 5 minutes today (previous best: 35 mins). But I got stuck in traffic pile-ups on almost all the other towns losing between 10 and 30 mins each (Bathery, Meenangadi, Vythiri, Thamarassery, Koduvally...).

3. This time, it was quite a stressful drive once I entered Kerala - mostly due to the increased pilgrims traffic to Sabarimala.

4. There was fog between Kanakapura and Kollegal, but it wasn't too bad. Day had broken then, so I had 100-150 metres visibility.
Thanks rajeev & binand (for the timely update)..
This plan had to be dropped as Indian Railways got my tickets confirmed for last night!!
And Wifey prefers that to a Day's driving.. :(

I guess I would plan this out next time, probably during the Summer holidays!

My sincere thanks to all again who offered valuable comments.
Old 12th January 2014, 13:06   #6347
BHPian

The view between Thenkasi and Punalur on my trip last month.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-pan2.jpg  

Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 12:10   #6348
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Any latest updates on the below routes? I am driving to Bangalore this Wednesday and back on Saturday.

Onward : Kochi - Chalakkudy - Athirappally - Valparai - Aliyar - Pollachi - Palladam - Perumthurai - Salem - Bangalore (Planning to start post lunch)

Return : Bangalore - Kanakpura - Chamrajnagar - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur - Trissur - Kochi (Planning to start early morning say 3AM)
Old 13th January 2014, 12:14   #6349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Return : Bangalore - Kanakpura - Chamrajnagar - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur - Trissur - Kochi (Planning to start early morning say 3AM)
Gudalur to KA-State border is in awful shape. I came to Kerala by bus on Saturday night (it was a Kerala RTC bus with a forest pass) - roads were inexistent in many places. The roads are in good shape in Karnataka - except the frequent speed breakers, things are okay there.
Old 13th January 2014, 13:14   #6350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
The view between Thenkasi and Punalur on my trip last month.
How was the condition of the route?
Old 13th January 2014, 13:21   #6351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Bangalore - Kanakpura - Chamrajnagar - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur- Trissur - Kochi (Planning to start early morning say 3AM)
In case you don't have any specific reason to go via Gundlupet I guess this route would be better - Annur
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 13:40   #6352
BHPian

Quote:
I second sukhas's suggestion given the present worst condition of road in the borders.

The entire route on NH 209 until NH 47 is butter smooth with sparse traffic all along for a 3AM start. You won't miss much of Bandipur ~ Nilambur because of Dhimbam ghats.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 14:46   #6353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Any latest updates on the below routes? I am driving to Bangalore this Wednesday and back on Saturday.

Onward : Kochi - Chalakkudy - Athirappally - Valparai - Aliyar - Pollachi - Palladam - PeruNDurai - Salem - Bangalore (Planning to start post lunch)
Its going to take you a very long time-this detour.If you are going to be staying over at Valparai then it makes sense taking this route else its pointless imho.Last heard roads were bad between the Border checkposts.rest of the route is fine.Especially considering you would be starting post lunch-the CP does not let vehicles pass through beyond 430pm,so please bear that in mind and time your drive.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 16:15   #6354
Senior - BHPian

Travelling to Kochi now. The flyover after Attibelle toll is open towards Hosur now and traffic flow is smooth. It was a bottle neck earlier.

Hosur - Rayakottai - Palacode route is in good condition and its relaid at several places. Rayakottai town is not in good shape.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 16:18   #6355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Hosur - Rayakottai - Palacode route is in good condition and its relaid at several places. Rayakottai town is not in good shape.
Any reason to take this option? The big problem was actually Bangalore-Hosur.
Since you already covered that, any reasons to take this route ?
Old 13th January 2014, 16:30   #6356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
In case you don't have any specific reason to go via Gundlupet I guess this route would be better - Annur
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
The entire route on NH 209 until NH 47 is butter smooth with sparse traffic all along for a 3AM start. You won't miss much of Bandipur ~ Nilambur because of Dhimbam ghats.
Thanks Suhas and treadmark. This sounds good, let me convince my co-passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Its going to take you a very long time-this detour.the CP does not let vehicles pass through beyond 430pm,so please bear that in mind and time your drive.
Thanks Ranjit for the update on CP timings. Plan to drive via Valparai is a mutual liking from all passengers as we are not in a hurry to reach Bangalore but make the trip enjoyable. How long would it take to Reach the CP from Chalakkudy? I thought of starting around 1PM from Kochi after lunch and cross the border by 4PM. Isn't it realistic? If not I will make it in the return journey.

Last edited by jacs : 13th January 2014 at 16:38.
Old 13th January 2014, 16:38   #6357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
How was the condition of the route?
Firstly I was on my bike.

Second, the trip was Hyderabad to Pandalam

Thirdly, Superb roads all the way except for some areas. The only area where you will be slow and bad road is from the S valavu uptil Punalur. And avoid going into Tirunelveli town at all costs - A mistake I made! Take the right connecting road before entering Tirunelveli limits and it will join this road I took the photo on.

Compared to the normal Palakkad route, this is a million times better and the only downside being probably another 70-90Kms extra but it's worth the peace of mind and smooth ride.

My route taken is in the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-route1.png  

Last edited by Cyrus_the_virus : 13th January 2014 at 16:53.
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 17:19   #6358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How long would it take to Reach the CP from Chalakkudy?
I am not able to recollect the exact drive time (since we had stopped at Athirapally) on way, however I guess it will take around 2 hours.

I guess with afternoon start you may be able to cross the check-post, however I guess to have a relaxed drive an earlier start if possible would be better. More so since you will not be able to enjoy the view if it gets dark.
Old 13th January 2014, 17:21   #6359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ranjit for the update on CP timings. Plan to drive via Valparai is a mutual liking from all passengers as we are not in a hurry to reach Bangalore but make the trip enjoyable. How long would it take to Reach the CP from Chalakkudy? I thought of starting around 1PM from Kochi after lunch and cross the border by 4PM. Isn't it realistic? If not I will make it in the return journey.
From Chalakudy takes about 45mins-1hr.You need to exit the second CP before 6 else they make a big fuss about it,hence the 430pm deadline for the Kerala CP.1pm should be convenient.
Old 13th January 2014, 18:14   #6360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

Any reason to take this option? The big problem was actually Bangalore-Hosur.
Since you already covered that, any reasons to take this route ?
I did Krishnagiri route four times within last one month and just thought of checking its present state.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks