Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2015, 20:36   #9031
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
The diversion via Chemmanampathy is fine, albeit a bit isolated. Road, though narrow, is good on the Kerala side and brilliant after the TN border. Another advantage is that you can avoid two railway level crossings if taking this road

Roads after Nemmara are also good
Came back from this trip yesterday. Road is good all the way except few stretches on the Kerala side. TN side is just brilliant. The real challenge was inside the Parambikkulam Sanctuary. It's around 35kms of jungle road (or no road) starting from the TN check-post at Sethumadai. The beauty of the place makes up for the hardship
DieselLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 14:56   #9032
BHPian

To the bhp-ians who might have driven to Kerala from Bangalore via Salem-Avinashi-Palakkad-Thrissur, how were the roads throughout? I ask because of these rains that have sprung up over the last three days. Going to start today evening. Would appreciate a heads-up. Thanks!
Old 11th November 2015, 15:37   #9033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
To the bhp-ians who might have driven to Kerala from Bangalore via Salem-Avinashi-Palakkad-Thrissur, how were the roads throughout? I ask because of these rains that have sprung up over the last three days. Going to start today evening. Would appreciate a heads-up. Thanks!
Roads are generally good all along
- Expect flooding in the underpass/railway under-bridge after Chandapura flyover, if it's raining when you start
- There are some rough patches along Krishnagiri-Salem, after the recent rains
- Some potholes in the said stretch can take you by surprise
- Road surface has deteriorated on the Neelambur-Madukkarai L&T bypass
- 4-laning between Madukkarai and Walayar has resulted in many short rough patches
- K.G.Chavadi area has many potholes - I don't expect this area to improve until the flyover is done
- About 100-200m before the Walayar border would remind you of Bangalore roads - hardly any asphalt
- Toll at the Walayar toll plaza has gone up to Rs.55 (from Rs.45).
These are the updates from tuesday. Haven't gone beyond Alathur, hence I can't comment much on the Alathur-Mannuthy stretch. But I heard people say that the rains have caused some new deep potholes near Kuthiran
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 16:26   #9034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
- Toll at the Walayar toll plaza has gone up to Rs.55 (from Rs.45).
This was silent increase on the toll prize. I am not sure why there is no protest against this. 45 INR was nominal.

People who have to go to palakkad ~20 kms from Walayar will have to pay entire 55 INR though you are not using the entire stretch.
Old 11th November 2015, 17:26   #9035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
This was silent increase on the toll prize. I am not sure why there is no protest against this. 45 INR was nominal.
NHAI rules allow the concessionaire to collect toll when more than 70% of the work is completed. The toll amount will be proportional to the percentage of work completed, and as the work progresses to 100%, the toll amount will be increased. Then onwards, the toll amount will be revised every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
People who have to go to palakkad ~20 kms from Walayar will have to pay entire 55 INR though you are not using the entire stretch.
The location of the toll plaza will be such that it's at least 60km away from another NHAI toll plaza in either direction, and to maximise the revenue - the former is overlooked conveniently by citing certain allowed exceptions but the latter is followed very diligently. That explains the full toll for even those who want to go towards Palakkad town or Olavakkode side.

The stretch between Walayar and Vadakkenchery is rife with badly planned junctions, unnecessary flyovers (necessary only for some select political bigwigs to avoid their property getting acquired), insufficient signages, misplaced meanders and what not.

Enough of ranting...
Old 12th November 2015, 08:32   #9036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NHAI rules allow the concessionaire to collect toll when more than 70% of the work is completed. The toll amount will be proportional to the percentage of work completed, and as the work progresses to 100%, the toll amount will be increased. Then onwards, the toll amount will be revised every year.

The location of the toll plaza will be such that it's at least 60km away from another NHAI toll plaza in either direction, and to maximise the revenue - the former is overlooked conveniently by citing certain allowed exceptions but the latter is followed very diligently. That explains the full toll for even those who want to go towards Palakkad town or Olavakkode side.

The stretch between Walayar and Vadakkenchery is rife with badly planned junctions, unnecessary flyovers (necessary only for some select political bigwigs to avoid their property getting acquired), insufficient signages, misplaced meanders and what not.

Enough of ranting...
Pramod, If that's the case do u see any problems in the current location of Thoppur Toll Plaza.
Irrespective of whether one drives via Rayakottai/Palcode route or NH7 via Krishnagiri, he or she bumps into the toll plaza. Now for a person who has driven via the former route, why should he/she pay toll at Thoppur ??
Old 12th November 2015, 09:25   #9037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Irrespective of whether one drives via Rayakottai/Palcode route or NH7 via Krishnagiri, he or she bumps into the toll plaza. Now for a person who has driven via the former route, why should he/she pay toll at Thoppur ??
That's exactly my point - the location of toll plaza is most often chosen based on the prospects of raking in more revenue/profits.
Old 12th November 2015, 09:34   #9038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's exactly my point - the location of toll plaza is most often chosen based on the prospects of raking in more revenue/profits.
But still coming back to the location of thoppur toll plaza, on one occasion I queried with the toll booth operator as to why I should pay toll when i did not come via Krishnagiri route. In fact I asked him to contact Krishnagiri toll plaza to verify if my car paid toll at Krishnagiri.
To this he replied that irrespective of whether one comes via krishnagiri or Rayakottai, he/she has to pay toll at Thoppur which I feel is gross injustice.

That being the case, toll at Namakkal is located such that people who come via Tiruchengode need not pay toll as the toll plaza is located before the SH merges with the NH. So the same logic should hold good for the Thoppur toll plaza location.
Old 12th November 2015, 16:01   #9039
BHPian

Hi,
Which route will be faster for Madurai – Thenmala section?
- Madurai – thirumagalam –rajapalayam – tenkasi – thenmala > NH 208
Or
- Madurai – tirunelveli – tenkasi – thenmala> NH7 + SH (c.60 kms extra)
Does staying longer on NH7 help on the timings? Thanks in advance
Old 12th November 2015, 19:28   #9040
BHPian

Update on Bangalore to Thrissur. I traveled on this route. Onward on Monday and returned on Wednesday. Roads are excellent all the way through. The roadwork just before entering Kerala border is the only problem area with diversions and rough patches but there aren't many of them. 4 lane road till Vadakancherry is excellent and the 2 lane road condition till Thrissur after that is good as well. The worst roads are in Bangalore.

Note from Support Team: Post edited. Please avoid typing with excessive dots.... like.... this... Affects readability. Thanks!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th November 2015 at 09:32. Reason: Please read the note posted above.
Old 13th November 2015, 11:39   #9041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
To the bhp-ians who might have driven to Kerala from Bangalore via Salem-Avinashi-Palakkad-Thrissur, how were the roads throughout? I ask because of these rains that have sprung up over the last three days. Going to start today evening!
Thanks silversteed for the update. Faced some shallow potholes near the ghats and few deep ones at kuthiran. Otherwise the roads were free of traffic. Haven't had such a relaxed drive in my life. All toll booths were without crowds. Started from jpnagar 6th phase at 815pm, reached electronics city on hosur road, via begur at 9pm. After that a half hour break at shoolagiri for dinner and at 430am was home! Was maintaining a speed of 80kmph, as a result got a 18.1kmpl trip average.
Old 14th November 2015, 08:11   #9042
BHPian

Guys, anyone who recently did the Gundlupet-ChamarajNagar-Kanakapura route to Bangalore? We are planning to return tomorrow via this route and would like to know the road condition on this stretch as well as about any issues with regards to the current political unrest in these areas. Any lead would be appreciated as we could take the Salem Coimbatore stretch as a plan B!!
Old 14th November 2015, 08:21   #9043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Guys, anyone who recently did the Gundlupet-ChamarajNagar-Kanakapura route to Bangalore? We are planning to return tomorrow via this route and would like to know the road condition on this stretch as well as about any issues with regards to the current political unrest in these areas. Any lead would be appreciated as we could take the Salem Coimbatore stretch as a plan B!!
Did it in September and it was pretty good. As it always has been, some rough patches between gundlepet and ch nagar.

There are some more recent reports in the wayanad threads which also indicate good conditions. There is also a mention of a big dip which can cause damage if taken at speeds.
I think around terakarambi between gundlepet and ch nagar.

Political unrest should not impact this route. That seems to be more on the Coorg side.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 08:34   #9044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Did this route in Oct, check the Bangalore-Mys-Ooty thread for more information. Return in the evening could be tiring due high weekend traffic. Also note that Police can close off the narrow stretches near Kollegal forcing a detour.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 08:45   #9045
BHPian

Thanks Rajeev & Sans, I would be starting before noon and hope to cover this stretch before evening hopefully to avoid the evening rush to BLR after Diwali.
I heard the Coorg issue has created an impact across Mysore and there would be blockages at all borders, hence the concern. And why would police close the routes in Kollegal? Is it due to the same issue?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks