Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2016, 00:46   #9511
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The Gundlupet-Gudalur road is also closed for traffic from 9 PM.
From 6 PM.

Quote:
Doesn't make sense. Even I'm travelling that way in the morning - Hope the road isn't really closed !
It suggests either the route via Mananthavady or via Gudalur. If add an intermediate destination at Muthanga it says "No route available". Hopefully there is nothing wrong and one of G-Maps's usual goofups. Possibly something to do with elections/booze trafficking. I am doing a quick return trip next weekend (21 & 22) so please post your experience.

Edit: Looked at the e-paper archives of both Manorama and Mathrubhumi Wayanad editions. Couldn't find anything relevant. Mostly election news only.

Last edited by binand : 14th May 2016 at 00:52.
Old 14th May 2016, 10:17   #9512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Is the road between Gundlupet and Sultan Bathery closed? Google maps is forcing me through Gudalur, not sure why?
Attachment 1506992
Quote:

I tried setting the time of journey to noon - even then GM doesn't seem to route through the forest road section of NH212. In fact if you set the destination as Muthanga, it says it cannot determine a route !! - Probably something must have gone wrong with some edit that someone did ?

Even I'm travelling that way in the morning - Hope the road isn't really closed !
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Edit: Looked at the e-paper archives of both Manorama and Mathrubhumi Wayanad editions. Couldn't find anything relevant. Mostly election news only.
Even I searched and couldn't find any news. I am pretty much sure that route is not closed, else for sure there would have been some prominent news about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
From 6 PM.
Binand, This route is closed from 9 PM not 6 PM.
However, while coming from Gudalur side, I have heard they don't allow vehicles to pass from around 8.30 or so.
The Nagarhole WLS routes (via Bavali and Nagarhole) are closed from 6 PM to 6 AM
Old 15th May 2016, 22:04   #9513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Even I searched and couldn't find any news. I am pretty much sure that route is not closed, else for sure there would have been some prominent news about the same.

Binand, This route is closed from 9 PM not 6 PM.
However, while coming from Gudalur side, I have heard they don't allow vehicles to pass from around 8.30 or so.
The Nagarhole WLS routes (via Bavali and Nagarhole) are closed from 6 PM to 6 AM
Yes - my understanding was that even the Bandipur-Gudalur route closing time was also 9PM to 6AM.

By the way I did travel through the Gudlupet-Sulthan Bathery section of NH212 yesterday and today - no issues with that section (except for some rework being done in the Gundlupet-Forest entrance stretch near the place where they started the work last year - but it's only about 100 meters of road, and no real issues crossing it - looks like they are converting that stretch to concrete).

The issue of Google Maps not routing through that section continues. Looks like that road is non-existent in their database (may be someone goofed up with some edit ?). If you ask for a route from Gundluepet to Muthanga, GM still says : Sorry, we could not calculate driving directions from "Gundlupete, Karnataka 571111" to "Muthanga, Kerala"
Old 16th May 2016, 13:38   #9514
BHPian

Update to Fellow BHPians planning to drive through Palakkad-Thrissur Road and Angamaly - MC Road - Kottayam

Did a weekend trip to get family back from Changanassery on my Polo from Palakkad. Palakkad to Wadakencherry is butter smooth and did it in 15 minutes flat - it used to take about 45 minutes before the 4 lane highway.

From Wadakenchery to Mannuthi, the roads have gone to the dogs literally with the 6 laning work progressing. It was raining heavily when I drove on Saturday and most places are water-logged with only a single, non-existent tar road at most places thanks to the work. Whoever has planned or ("unplanned" I should say) for this work would have passed his civil engineering through a "management quota" or would have bunked his classes - it's really crazy. I unfortunately did both to and fro in the evening/night time and it was a horrible sight. With monsoons looming large and about to start in 2 weeks, Wadakkenchery to Thrissur is going to be a nightmare for motorists.

Anyone planning to take this route for the next few months, CAUTION GALORE!

MC Road is all dug up on both sides of the road from Muvattupuzha all the way to Kottayam! I guess that's road extension work progressing. As I had to go to Changanaserry, I took a de-route after Koothatukulam.
Old 17th May 2016, 10:50   #9515
Senior - BHPian

Came back from Kerala after doing my part in the elections. May be because it was a public holiday the vehicle presence was minimal in both KL and TN. The only toll booth where we had some crowd were the ones at Krishnagiri and Attibele.

And it was raining pretty heavily in KL, and moderate levels in TN till around Salem & Thoppur.
Old 17th May 2016, 11:38   #9516

I am planning to embark on my first long drive this weekend in my month old Baleno. I would be driving down to Thrissur from Chennai and I am planning to take the Villupuram-Ulundurpet-Salem route. Could someone throw some light on the road conditions in this route?

I am particularly concerned about the stretch between Coimbatore and Walayar. Does anyone know if the road work in this area has been completed?

Also, please do suggest if I should be opting for any alternative routes.
Old 17th May 2016, 11:50   #9517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart_Fellaz View Post

I am particularly concerned about the stretch between Coimbatore and Walayar. Does anyone know if the road work in this area has been completed?
Forget being completed - the road work between Madukkarai and Walayar has been abandoned. One fine day we find that all the men, equipment and machinery has simply vanished. No news about it anywhere in the local media also. Wonder what happened!!

This stretch is a bit confusing - but still this would be the best option for you. Just follow the rest of the vehicles in front - if it is a Coimbatore or Palakkad registration, the better
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 12:01   #9518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am particularly concerned about the stretch between Coimbatore and Walayar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Forget being completed - the road work between Madukkarai and Walayar has been abandoned. One fine day we find that all the men, equipment and machinery has simply vanished. No news about it anywhere in the local media also. Wonder what happened!!
Work was happening when I drove a month back and the traffic was allowed on the new KG Chavadi bypass (flyovers were being constructed but the service lane was open). I also some progress compared to my previous drive in Jan 2016. Is the work stopped now?
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 12:37   #9519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Work was happening when I drove a month back and the traffic was allowed on the new KG Chavadi bypass (flyovers were being constructed but the service lane was open). I also some progress compared to my previous drive in Jan 2016. Is the work stopped now?
Yes. Work was going on in full swing - but two weeks back they just disappeared. Not sure whether this was a fall out of the Kolkata flyover collapse - both contracts were under execution by IVRCL. Sad
mallumowgli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 16:27   #9520

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

This stretch is a bit confusing - but still this would be the best option for you. Just follow the rest of the vehicles in front - if it is a Coimbatore or Palakkad registration, the better
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Thank you very much for the info. Also, could you please suggest couple of good places in this route for stopover (both food and fuel).
Old 17th May 2016, 18:36   #9521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I checked after changing the departure time to tomorrow morning and still doesn't route through this way.
Quote:
Gundlupet-Forest entrance stretch near the place where they started the work last year - but it's only about 100 meters of road, and no real issues crossing it - looks like they are converting that stretch to concrete).
I think the routing issue is due to the check-post closure. I guess someone updated the timings for NH 212 and didn't do the same for NH 67. I guess it displays the same for Mananthavady road also near Nagarhole check post if you search between 09:00 PM to 06:00 AM.

Also, the concrete work you saw on NH 212 soon after forest is a toll booth under construction. If they come up with a similar one in Mysore - Gundlupet route also it will be a waste of time
Old 17th May 2016, 18:41   #9522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I think the routing issue is due to the check-post closure. I guess someone updated the timings for NH 212 and didn't do the same for NH 67. I guess it displays the same for Mananthavady road also near Nagarhole check post if you search between 09:00 PM to 06:00 AM.

Also, the concrete work you saw on NH 212 soon after forest is a toll booth under construction. If they come up with a similar one in Mysore - Gundlupet route also it will be a waste of time

I thougt I had posted an update from my phone but looks like it didn't go through.
The route from Gundlupet to Sultan Bathery is open and in good condition except for a couple of 100m stretches. The best part was the minimal traffic, possibly because google was routing folks through elsewhere
Not just Google Maps, but even Sygic is not routing through this stretch, don't know why.
Old 18th May 2016, 09:43   #9523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much for the info. Also, could you please suggest couple of good places in this route for stopover (both food and fuel).
Please check out this thread for list of eateries.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-thrissur.html

Lot of places for fuel too.

There is a BPCL Coco outlet after Salem & One near Madukkarai.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 16:30   #9524
Senior - BHPian

After a long gap, I took the Sankari-Omallur route to bypass Salem (the Salem Bypass, rather) last evening. Roads are relaid, and many places have the cat's eye reflectors also installed. The surface is devoid of potholes. Except for the towns, traffic was sparse for 6-7pm. The towns invariably have energy conscious 2-wheeler riders (riding without turning on the lights), most of them riding ~100cc bikes instead of the usual TVS XL50s.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 07:00   #9525
BHPian

Hi all! I am planning on a visit to Kumarakom from Trichy in the first week of august. I plan to take the following route-
Trichy- dindigul- batlagundu- theni - kumily - kuttikanam - mundakayam- kottayam.

We travelled to kodaikanal last month, so we know the roads are pretty alright till batlagundu .

How are the roads from kumily to kottayam? Is there any roadwork going on?

We ( my wife, 2 little boys and me) would be traveling in a VW Vento. Are there any things we should look out for?
Please advise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks