Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2016, 08:35   #9886
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Guys, I will be on road tomorrow from 6am to 7pm mostly. Almost 7 hours on TN highway. If you guys pass by or spot me around please feel free to say hi or honk Returning on 13th Thursday starting from Cochin around 7am.
All Roads to Kerala-img_20161005_064255_01.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-3.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-2.jpg
Old 7th October 2016, 08:54   #9887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
As of now, I am OK with the Salem route with all the reports coming in. We plan to start at 6am tomorrow from Hebbal. Let's watch for any developments today as well.
You may want to start 1-2 hours earlier considering the typical outbound long weekend traffic from Bangalore.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 09:08   #9888
BHPian

Quote:
As of now, I am OK with the Salem route with all the reports coming in. We plan to start at 6am tomorrow from Hebbal. Let's watch for any developments today as well.
shajufx , me too plan to start around same time from Hebbal, kempapura on saturday. I will be on my way to Tvm via Salem, Madurai, Nagercoil. Going by the popular comments it seems will be a good idea to start a wee bit earlier to avoid any potential border crossing issues at attibelle. Will be in a cappuccino grey Skoda Rapid with LTD sticker.

Last edited by shinuak : 7th October 2016 at 09:10. Reason: spelling correction
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 09:12   #9889
BHPian

and now this! I wonder what they will have to say about the plateless-ergo-stateless cars

Quote:
A lorry and a bus were seized after they were found bearing fake number plates — interchanging number plates of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu —during checks by the Transport Department here on Thursday.
Quote:
Following tensions between the two States over the Cauvery river water sharing row, many vehicles have been changing their number plates at the border for “security” reasons post the September 12 violence in the city. On Thursday, a private bus – originally with a Tamil Nadu number plate – was found in the State under a false Karnataka number plate. Similarly, a lorry– originally with a Karnataka number plate was found attempting to enter Tamil Nadu with a fake T.N. plate.
Quote:
Over 600 vehicles were checked for violations, including plying without permits or emission certificates or insurances, by special squads of the Transport Department near Jigani Cross, Nice Road, Bennerghatta Road and surrounding areas.
A total of 100 vehicles were booked, and 50 seized, said officials
source
batterylow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 10:12   #9890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I will be on road tomorrow from 6am to 7pm mostly. Almost 7 hours on TN highway.
As mentioned by arjithin, its better to start by 4-5am to avoid crowd at tolls and breakfast point.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 11:28   #9891
BHPian

Bangalore to Thrissur on Friday morning via Hosur-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Vadakkencherry-Thrissur. There is no problem at Hosur and all through Tamil Nadu (I have a KA registered vehicle). Roads after Vadakkencherry till Thrissur (about 25 kms) are the old ones, since the new road work is on - watch out and plan for long stretches of traffic jam on this stretch.
vinodrkn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 14:11   #9892
BHPian

Traveled from Bangalore (Marathahalli) to Kerala (Pathanamthitta) via Salem - Coimbatore highway. Started around 8:30 PM yesterday and reached early morning today. There are many KA registered cars on the TN highway and absolutely no issues reported.

Last edited by JohnyRider : 7th October 2016 at 14:12.
JohnyRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 11:24   #9893
Senior - BHPian

Traveled last weekend Hyderabad -Kochi and back.

After Coimbatore bypass 2 flyovers are getting ready

Vadakkanchery - Mannuthy still road work in progress took me 1.30mins for this stretch.

Return took the Trichur- Shornur - Ottapalam- Palakkad route which was better.
As I visited Guruvayoor hence this route.

All roads are in good conditions throughout.

No issues with private vehicles.
All long distance Volvos were in action which were travelling beyond Banglore

Last edited by gajadonga : 10th October 2016 at 11:29.
Old 10th October 2016, 12:59   #9894
Senior - BHPian

Folks though Salem Coimbatore route has opened for KA vehicles, I was more interested in the Forest route, heard its more scenic to get into KL, any ideas about the road condition on the below three routes.

a. Blr - Mysore - Sultan Bathery - Kohzikode - Kochi
b. Blr - Mysore - Virajpet - Thalassery - Kochi
c. Blr - Bandipur - Gudalur - Nilambur - Ponnani - Kochi
Old 10th October 2016, 13:37   #9895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Folks though Salem Coimbatore route has opened for KA vehicles, I was more interested in the Forest route, heard its more scenic to get into KL, any ideas about the road condition on the below three routes.

a. Blr - Mysore - Sultan Bathery - Kohzikode - Kochi
b. Blr - Mysore - Virajpet - Thalassery - Kochi
c. Blr - Bandipur - Gudalur - Nilambur - Ponnani - Kochi
All roads are good, nothing to specifically note a bad.
My pick will be option 3. Expect heavy traffic and 30-40kmph avg speed within KL during day time in ALL roads.
Old 11th October 2016, 01:28   #9896
Senior - BHPian

Travelled to Kumarakom yesterday from Muvattupuzha to attend a function at a resort. Took the usual route through Piravom-Peruva-Thalayolaparambu and bypassing Vaikom town through Vechoor road to reach Kumarakom. The road condition is average; Piravom-Peruva road is re-tarred and smooth but narrow. There are some rough patches when nearing Kumarakom from Vaikom side. On return took, Kumarakom-Kallara-Kuruppunthara-Kuravilangadu-Uzhavur-Kuthattukulam-Pandappilly-Muvattupuzha route which is slightly better than the route through Piravom-Peruva.
Old 11th October 2016, 11:43   #9897
BHPian

We drove from Bangalore to Trivandrum on 10th October. We started at 6am and there were absolutely no issues, in fact the roads were flooded with KA cars. The entire drive was uneventful, except for a small stone bouncing off the road onto my windshield, which resulted in a crack.
Old 11th October 2016, 14:18   #9898
BHPian

I drove from Palakkad to Thrissur via NH 47 on Sunday morning. From Palakkad to Vadakkanchery, the highway is a smooth 4 lane, with many traffic lights. Kerala being Kerala, things have to be a wee bit quirky, no? Wonder why they didn't build flyovers there too.

From Vadakkanchery, work is still in progress. Two lane bad surface road, with occasional craters. Its like they want to preserve history and remind us- see, this was NH47 in full glory about ten years ago. The bridge before Kuthiran is a choke point as usual.

Dad says the people around Kuthiran were getting bothered by the noise and vibration due to the tunneling work, and demanded that work be stopped at night. If that order gets passed, expect the tunneling work to take double the time.
Old 12th October 2016, 02:24   #9899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinnair View Post
I drove from Palakkad to Thrissur via NH 47 on Sunday morning. From Palakkad to Vadakkanchery, the highway is a smooth 4 lane, with many traffic lights. Kerala being Kerala, things have to be a wee bit quirky, no? Wonder why they didn't build flyovers there too
This has been mentioned time and again - the NHAI and the contractor wash their hands off - seems nobody was bothered about the positioning of the underpasses - most of them are at places where they're not really needed.

Quote:
Dad says the people around Kuthiran were getting bothered by the noise and vibration due to the tunneling work, and demanded that work be stopped at night. If that order gets passed, expect the tunneling work to take double the time.
Maybe the people there are genuinely bothered by the noise and vibration? I know how much of a nuisance does drilling a borewell in the backyard cause, so tunneling a hill, with occasional blasting wouldn't be any better, will it?
The contractor should have made arrangements for the affected parties to be shifted elsewhere temporarily, if (s)he is concerned about the deadlines.
Old 12th October 2016, 05:37   #9900
BHPian

Did anyone notice that Google maps now route us through SH86 instead of salem while driving from kerala to bangalore via Coimbatore?. It cites a road closure near to Salem in NH 544
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-screenshot_20161012053600.png  

tortoise is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks