Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2018, 19:06   #11071
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKN View Post
Plan is to start by @2pm frm BLT so that i can get to calicut by 11pm. Are there any good restaurants to stop over once I enter the Kerala side
If you're starting tomorrow (25 Jan), consider starting early morning as there is a Karnataka bandh planned. If you start day after, maybe 2pm is better as morning would see more traffic due to the holiday.
On the Kerala side, I think your first best bet for restaurants is Sulthan Bathery, quite a few options like Kalpaka (been here, a good veg option). Heard about Jubilee and Mintflower also, no personal experience. I think there is an Udupi Hotel as well. Parking may be tad difficult but you can find something on the main road. After Bathery, probably the good options are in Kalpetta - Woodlands is one good place.

Last edited by NPV : 24th January 2018 at 19:07.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 23:16   #11072
BHPian

Quote:
Are there any good restaurants to stop over once I enter the Kerala side
You can also try Wilton in Bathery. Its after the town on the right side while going towards Calicut. There is sufficient parking as well with very clean wash rooms.
sansvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 23:22   #11073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you're starting tomorrow (25 Jan), consider starting early morning as there is a Karnataka bandh planned. If you start day after, maybe 2pm is better as morning would see more traffic due to the holiday.
On the Kerala side, I think your first best bet for restaurants is Sulthan Bathery, quite a few options like Kalpaka (been here, a good veg option). Heard about Jubilee and Mintflower also, no personal experience. I think there is an Udupi Hotel as well. Parking may be tad difficult but you can find something on the main road. After Bathery, probably the good options are in Kalpetta - Woodlands is one good place.
I am planning to start from HSR to Alleppey @ 3:00 AM on Friday (26th). Do you think there would be any issues because of Karnataka bandh tomorrow?
Old 25th January 2018, 07:55   #11074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
I am planning to start from HSR to Alleppey @ 3:00 AM on Friday (26th). Do you think there would be any issues because of Karnataka bandh tomorrow?
There shouldn't be any issues on 26th. Since it is going to be a long weekend make sure you leave by / before 3:00 AM.

Last Saturday when I drove to Thriuvalla and back from Thrissur via Alleppey, I saw 4 interceptor; beware of them at vantage points.

I was told its 90 KMPH the limit on a divided 4 lane roads when they got me at 101 KM/PH just before Angamaly on 31st Dec.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 08:28   #11075
Team-BHP Support

So another long weekend after the New Year's. Wonder how it's going to be. But isn't today some bandh in Bangalore or whole of Karnataka?
Old 25th January 2018, 08:50   #11076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
But isn't today some bandh in Bangalore or whole of Karnataka?
Today is all of Karnataka, 4th February is only Bangalore.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 09:31   #11077
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Yes, kuttettans shop is in my bucket list, what time is the unniappam available from. Do they run out of stock ?
Its available from around 10:00 AM or so till stocks last. On a usual day, you would be able to get appams till ~ 02:30 PM.

Quote:
Curious to know, why the right arm and not the left arm of mysore orr ? shorter or less traffic ?
Yes. Distance wise both arms are same I guess. However, you have option to take a break at Hotel Kalyani on right.
Quote:
Considering that I will be driving 12-13 kmpl petrol guzzler, if possible, let me know good quality petrol bunks (COCO preferred) for both leg1 and leg2 ?
BP COCO

In Wayanad, this is one of the reliable bunk. Link

BPCOCO after Chelari Location

Quote:
Plan is to start by @2pm frm BLT so that i can get to calicut by 11pm. Are there any good restaurants to stop over once I enter the Kerala side
Hope you are aware of road closure at Bandipur forest at 09:00 PM. With 02:00 PM start you need not be worried about the same, still.

As others mentioned, Mint flower is good option for snacks.

Jubilee & Milton are two dinner options that you can consider. Milton is a newly opened restaurant, it is run by the same person who used to run Jubilee before it was taken by the building owner.

You may get more details of the same here.

Quote:
I am planning to start from HSR to Alleppey @ 3:00 AM on Friday (26th).
If you are starting at 03:00 AM on 26th, you have bigger issues than bandh to be worried about

Thanks to long weekend you will find heavy traffic till Salem with congested toll lanes. Also, due to bandh on 25th, people may postpone their travel plans to 26th causing increased chaos.

03:00 AM from HSR sounds fine, one suggestion would be to avoid stopping for break early unless you can't avoid. This way you can be ahead of the crowd till breakfast. With a pit stop past Salem you should be fine.
mpksuhas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 10:34   #11078
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to start from HSR to Alleppey @ 3:00 AM on Friday (26th).
I think 3am is good time to start, expect heavy traffic later due to the long holiday weekend.

Quote:
Do you think there would be any issues because of Karnataka bandh tomorrow?
Would be too speculative if I say something!

I would always avoid driving (especially a planned drive) during such situations, you never know when/where things can go out of control. Risk is compounded when traveling with family and children, definitely not worth it, especially when it has been announced/planned.

Last edited by NPV : 25th January 2018 at 10:36.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 11:34   #11079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
03:00 AM from HSR sounds fine, one suggestion would be to avoid stopping for break early unless you can't avoid. This way you can be ahead of the crowd till breakfast. With a pit stop past Salem you should be fine.
That's the plan actually. The first break I am expecting to take after Salem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I would always avoid driving (especially a planned drive) during such situations, you never know when/where things can go out of control. Risk is compounded when traveling with family and children, definitely not worth it, especially when it has been announced/planned.
But this bandh is in Karnataka right? So, do I need to be worried about the same, as I will be crossing Attibelle and entering TN before sunrise?
Old 25th January 2018, 11:49   #11080
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But this bandh is in Karnataka right? So, do I need to be worried about the same, as I will be crossing Attibelle and entering TN before sunrise?
The bandh is today and yes in Karnataka. I said that in case you planned to start today.

If you're driving tomorrow, there is nothing to be worried related to the bandh. Just brace yourself for more traffic.

Last edited by NPV : 25th January 2018 at 11:51.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 12:20   #11081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's the plan actually. The first break I am expecting to take after Salem.
You can plan to have breakfast at Saravana Bhavan Vaikundam. They usually open around 06:15 AM.

Old 25th January 2018, 18:37   #11082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

I think I had mentioned somewhere that the Mangalamkunnu-Kongad stretch of the Cherpulassery-Palakkad route has been repaired; I am mistaken. It is still the same bumpy road that I have been seeing for 3 years now.
Can you suggest the best route from Alathur to Kozhikode? I usually take NH544 upto Chandranagar, then take the bypass and reach Olavakkode and then go via mundur kongad mangalamkunnu. As you said that stretch is bumpy. Any other alternative?
Old 25th January 2018, 18:50   #11083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Can you suggest the best route from Alathur to Kozhikode? I usually take NH544 upto Chandranagar, then take the bypass and reach Olavakkode and then go via mundur kongad mangalamkunnu. As you said that stretch is bumpy. Any other alternative?
That is the best route. The bumpy stretch is about 13 km in a journey of approx 160 km. And it is not the Bangalore kind of bumpy; just that someone forgot to smoothen the top surface after redoing the road.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 21:50   #11084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That is the best route. The bumpy stretch is about 13 km in a journey of approx 160 km. And it is not the Bangalore kind of bumpy; just that someone forgot to smoothen the top surface after redoing the road.
For the option that Binand mentioned, to reach Mundur I would suggest Alathur ~ Kuzhalmanam ~ Mathur ~ Kottayi (Right just before Kottayi) ~ Parali ~ Mundur from then on Kongad ~ Cherpulaserry ~ Perinthalmanna ~ Malapuram ~ Calicut.

But then if you need to avoid that bad 13Km stretch between Kongad and Cherpulaserry my take will be the below one

Alathur ~ Khuzhalamanam ~ Kottayi ~ Mankara ~ Mangalam ~ Varode ~ Cherpulaserry and the above option from then ON
I think this one to be the ideal route.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 22:29   #11085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
But then if you need to avoid that bad 13Km stretch between Kongad and Cherpulaserry my take will be the below one
Any idea about the road condition after mankara till cherpulassery? Was not that good a couple of months back when I took that route.

Last edited by ampere : 26th January 2018 at 09:49. Reason: Trimmed quoted post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks