Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2018, 14:27   #11146
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Need to travel trivandrum (kazhakkottam) to bangalore.
- avoiding kaliyikkavilai route due to terrible construction activity
- avoiding travelling ekm-palakkad route to reduce fatigue from 2L traffic
I am also driving on 23rd evening from Bangalore to Trivandrum. Planning to start around 5PM. I am also looking for an alternate route to kaliyikkavilai. Google maps shows some alternate route from Aralvaimozhi via Kattakada, but dont know about the route condition.

I have traveled via Rajapalayam thenmala route couple of moths back, the surface is good, but it is bit winding route.
Old 21st February 2018, 15:16   #11147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
I am also looking for an alternate route to kaliyikkavilai. Google maps shows some alternate route from Aralvaimozhi via Kattakada, but dont know about the route condition.
Please see the update on Aralvaimozhi in the below post from me. I had driven on Dec 22nd. Not sure of the current condition.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4331682
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:39   #11148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Guys,

Need to drive from Vellore to Calicut on Monday, 19th Feb.
Guys, I'll be travelling back this coming Sunday. I was wondering if there are any places of interest worth visiting on the way??

I can spare maybe 2-3 hours, but don't want it to be too far off the main route! BHPians familiar with Northern Kerala kindly help! Thanks!!
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:21   #11149
Senior - BHPian

Though I'd always wanted to write a note in the complaint book at the toll booth for the L&T Coimbatore bypass, it never materialised because of various reasons. On one of my recent trips I was so irritated with the traffic mess that this joke of a highway witnesses, that I decided to lodge a complaint with the Grievance Redressal Cell.

This central govt run portal has been in use for over 6 years now, and NOT something that's sprung up recently. Some information about this here.

Received the scanned copy of a signed letter from NHAI last evening. Though not much, I hope the authorities would take note of this. Maybe, if more people raise this point, it can result in some tangible action. For obvious reasons, I did not go the legal route (filing a PIL etc.) for the time being.

All Roads to Kerala-lt_grievance.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Good thing to do. You should have also mentioned the 6 toll booths, two signals and numerous unsignalled junctions along this route.

Also, the road on the Salem side is actually 6 lanes, not just 4.
The road on the Salem side is 6-laned only till the start of Chengapalli bypass IIRC. You're right about the other details that were missed out. Hopefully I can add this info to the grievance.

Last edited by silversteed : 23rd February 2018 at 11:33.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:26   #11150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
On one of my recent trips I was so irritated with the traffic mess that this joke of a highway witnesses, that I decided to lodge a complaint with the Grievance Redressal Cell.
Good thing to do. You should have also mentioned the 6 toll booths, two signals and numerous unsignalled junctions along this route.

Also, the road on the Salem side is actually 6 lanes, not just 4.
Old 23rd February 2018, 15:03   #11151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Received the scanned copy of a signed letter from NHAI last evening. Though not much, I hope the authorities would take note of this.
Good initiative . At least the worthies at NHAI should know the day light robbery happening in this pathetic "highway".

I had filed an RTI with NHAI to know the details about this road. The complaint was passed to the TN Highway Department, and after a reminder they gave a very vague response.

This project was the first PPP model highway project in India. It is a joint venture between L&T, TN Highway Dept. and NHAI. The private party has rights to levy toll for the next three years. The TN Highway Dept. has no clue on what would happen after this period, and whether this road would be four laned? They also had no response to my question on FasTag roll out.
Old 23rd February 2018, 15:15   #11152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The road on the Salem side is 6-laned only till the start of Chengapalli bypass IIRC.
Yes, about 60 km from the end of the bypass with is not inconsequential.
Old 23rd February 2018, 18:05   #11153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I'll be travelling back this coming Sunday. I was wondering if there are any places of interest worth visiting on the way??
Temples? Kadampuzha is about 30 km detour from Malappuram or Perinthalmanna. Thiruvilwamala is about the same distance from Cherpulassery.

Then there are Malampuzha dam and Palakkad fort nearer to Palakkad. The former has a snake park and an aquarium.
Old 23rd February 2018, 18:09   #11154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I can spare maybe 2-3 hours, but don't want it to be too far off the main route! BHPians familiar with Northern Kerala kindly help! Thanks!!
May be you can stop at Malampuzha dam
Old 23rd February 2018, 22:16   #11155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Then there are Malampuzha dam and Palakkad fort nearer to Palakkad. The former has a snake park and an aquarium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
May be you can stop at Malampuzha dam
If I start at 6 from Calicut, I should reach there by 9-ish, right?

Are you aware of any timings at the dam? Also, any places nearby for a good breakfast?
Old 23rd February 2018, 22:55   #11156
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, any places nearby for a good breakfast?
If you're driving from calicut you can detour into the Palakkad town and right next to the KSRTC bus stand/Shornur Road you have Hotel Kapilavasthu, one the best south indian vegetarian restaurants there.
Another option is Hotel Hariharaputra which maybe closer to the Malampuzha road/railway station (again assumed south indian vegetarian breakfast).
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 06:39   #11157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you're driving from calicut you can detour into the Palakkad town and right next to the KSRTC bus stand/Shornur Road you have Hotel Kapilavasthu, one the best south indian vegetarian restaurants there.
Another option is Hotel Hariharaputra which maybe closer to the Malampuzha road/railway station (again assumed south indian vegetarian breakfast).
Three families visited hotel Kapilvastu for breakfast on Dec 23rd 2017, and the food was strictly average. Coffee was poorly made, felt like a coffee machine made.
Old 26th February 2018, 23:32   #11158
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Three families visited hotel Kapilvastu for breakfast on Dec 23rd 2017, and the food was strictly average. Coffee was poorly made, felt like a coffee machine made.
Even I ended up having a dinner here few months back when I took KeSRTC from Palakkad. Went for vegetarian since I had sumptuous lunch that day and it turned out be strictly average. Even I think the restaurant is run by Tamil folks and it was nowhere near to popular Tamil Veg Restaurant chains quality.

Cheers!
Old 27th February 2018, 09:53   #11159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I start at 6 from Calicut, I should reach there by 9-ish, right?
Depending on traffic conditions and the driving style, it takes 3-4 hours.

Quote:
Are you aware of any timings at the dam?
IIRC entry to the garden is allowed from 8:30AM. Take the rope-way if you like an aerial view of the complete garden and dam.
Quote:
Also, any places nearby for a good breakfast?
There's a KTDC hotel in Malampuzha, which used to serve good food. Haven't been there recently, so I don't know if it's still the same
If you are not particular about AC and an up-market feel, Indian Coffee House (one of my favourites, YMMV) is a good option.
These are not on the 'bypass', but more inside the town:
Hotel Royal Treat
Hotel Gazala
Food and service are usually good.
Quote:
...Hotel Kapilavasthu, one the best south indian vegetarian restaurants there...
Hotel Hariharaputra
Quote:
the food was strictly average
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
it turned out be strictly average
The Kapilavastu near the KSRTC depot and the Hariharaputhra are strictly average. A better option would be TNVR tiffin room on the Market road, which has changed hands and now become another Kapilavasthu hotel.

Last edited by silversteed : 27th February 2018 at 09:56.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 10:15   #11160
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if you had completed trip and if not Silent Valley (Near Mannarkad) will be a good option, it is best to visit after the monsoon not sure how will that be now?

Quote:
If you are not particular about AC and an up-market feel, Indian Coffee House (one of my favourites, YMMV) is a good option.
I didn't knew there is a Indian Coffee House at Olavakode, they are one of my long time favourite's in Kerala. Especially the one in Thrissur near North Bus Stand.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks