Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2019, 16:59   #11896
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Tomorrow is a statewide hartal. So plan your travels accordingly.
Also , a statewide harthal for the 8th as well as for the 9th of January had been announced earlier. Although I'm not sure whether it has been confirmed.
Old 2nd January 2019, 22:00   #11897
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
From my recent trip during last week of December 2018, here are the current one way toll charges for Bangalore-Palakkad:

BETL (Electronics City Phase 1) - 45
Attibele - 30
Krishnagiri - 65
Thoppur - 95
Omalur - 75
Vaiguntham - 60
Vijayamangalam - 55
Chengapally - 90
L&T Bypass - 45 (No Fastag here)
PamPam Pallam - 60

Total is Rs.620 for about 410 Km

earlier it used to be roughly 1 to 1.1 rupees per km. Over the past 2 years or so, it has now become 1.5 rupees per km. THis is robbery.

Imagine the money that gets paid for owning a car - approx 50% of ex-showroom price goes as duty. Then around 10-15% (depends on which state) as road tax. In other words, when the company makes X revenue by selling the car to you, the central govt makes X, the state govt makes 0.2 to 0.3 X. So, by the time you have the keys with you, you have paid 2.2X-2.3X for something that the car company values at X. On top of all this, you have to pay 1.5 rupees per km for driving on highways.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 13:43   #11898
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to visit Wayanad, Kozhikode, Kannur, Bekal and then Mangalore as a family outing. What is the best route to reach Wayanad from Bangalore? The one which we had tried was via Sultan Battery a decade ago. But uncertain about all these roads now.
I hope the road from Wayanad to Kozhikode is better than that time. The ghat section was in horrible shape then.
Old 4th January 2019, 13:50   #11899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
What is the best route to reach Wayanad from Bangalore?
Ask in the Bangalore-Wayanad (Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation) or Bangalore-Calicut (Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries) threads for detailed, up-to-date information. Depending on where you want to go in Wayanad, advice could vary.
Old 4th January 2019, 15:44   #11900
BHPian

Many of you wanted to know the road condition to Ooty via Attappady-Mulli-Manjoor.
I recently drove through this route to reach Coonoor and created a short video for the benefit of fellow members.

Road condition till the Kerala border is decent enough. First few KMs between Mulli and Manjoor in TN has bad patches for around 7km. It is still doable but sedans may have to be a bit careful.

sj_koova is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 22:08   #11901
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I am planning to visit Wayanad, Kozhikode, Kannur, Bekal and then Mangalore as a family outing. What is the best route to reach Wayanad from Bangalore? The one which we had tried was via Sultan Battery a decade ago. But uncertain about all these roads now.
I hope the road from Wayanad to Kozhikode is better than that time. The ghat section was in horrible shape then.
Roads to Wayanad (Bathery) and Kozhikode are in great shape currently. Assuming you are headed towards places in the Bathery-Kalpetta-Vythiri belt. Traffic will be high from Kalpetta to Kozhikode and if you are unlucky there may be small jams/slow moving traffic in the ghats.

Kozhikode-Kannur-Bekal-Mangalore will be a heavy traffic and tiring drive.

More specific details can be found in the Wayanad and Kozhikode threads as mentioned by Binand.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 23:20   #11902
BHPian

Planning for Bangalore - Thrissur trip mid January. Always drove via AH 43-NH 544 (Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thissur). It is slightly boring now on this route.

Not traveled via Sathyamangalam. Can some one help me with best route via Sathyamangalam, as google suggests many options. Will be starting early from Bangalore at 4:30-5AM and travelling with family (wife and 2 school going children).

Last edited by Sree73 : 4th January 2019 at 23:31.
Old 5th January 2019, 07:27   #11903
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Not traveled via Sathyamangalam. Can some one help me with best route via Sathyamangalam, as google suggests many options.
I would suggest that you avoid the Kanakapura-Chamarajanagar-Dhimbam-Satyamangalam road due to road widening work in progress at many places and also rough/bad sections. This is based on an update from a friend who traveled last week to Palakkad via the regular National highway route and on the return visited the Bannari Amman temple and drove to Bangalore via Chamarajanagar-Kanakapura. He did not enjoy the return journey on this route.
Alternately, you can try the Avinashi bypass-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkancherry-Kuthiran-Trichur or Kollengode-Alathur-Pazhayanur-Chelakara-Wadakkanchery-Punkunnam-Trichur. Very scenic between Pollachi-Alathur

Last edited by NPV : 5th January 2019 at 07:33.
Old 5th January 2019, 12:53   #11904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Probably thats the best route - Madurai, Shenkottai, Araynkavu, Kallada, Punalur Kottarakkara, Varkala (you can bypass Quilon)

Road condition, I think is OK enroute as not much flood damage happened in that belt (except some rain damage as per the info I have).

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
How is the above route condition? My friend plans to drive to Kottarakkara from Bangalore and intends to take Blr - Salem - Dindigul - Madhurai - Senkaotta - Aryankavu - Punalur - kottarakkara.
Is the Madhurai Kottarakkara stretch good to drive? Does Aryankavu checkpost close at night?
Old 5th January 2019, 15:18   #11905
BHPian

This route is in good condition, except it passes through some towns and villages and could get some traffic. Note that its a single carriage way from thirumangalam where you take the right turn.
aneeshtn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 20:42   #11906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
Does Aryankavu checkpost close at night?
No it does'nt close. Infact private cars are not usually stopped at all.

Route conditions - the question has already answered

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram

Last edited by ajmat : 6th January 2019 at 21:35.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 20:43   #11907
Senior - BHPian

Guys need some quick suggestion.

I will be leaving Tiruvilwamala (basically 20 minutes from Alathur) around 8 AM tomorrow to Bangalore.

I have a meeting that I need to attend on Skype at 11. Any suggestions for any joints probably between Coimbatore and Salem where I can halt for a meeting. I am traveling with family so it won't be possible to just stop by the side and do it in the car itself. Basically need some space like perhaps a CCD or something so that wife can keep my daughter engaged and I can carry on with my meeting in the car.
Old 6th January 2019, 21:00   #11908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Any suggestions for any joints probably between Coimbatore and Salem [...] like perhaps a CCD or something
If you are looking for a CCD there is one near Vijayamangalam toll plaza which is usually my first stop after leaving Kerala:

https://goo.gl/maps/DGto9Rc9uHG2

It is on your side of the road when going from Coimbatore to Salem. I think it arrives soon after the 6 lane road converges to 4 (look for "Toll Road Ends/Toll Road Begins" boards; the CCD is a couple of kms beyond).

Edit: Measured using Google Maps; it comes after 4.2 km from the point where 6-lane road ends.

Last edited by binand : 6th January 2019 at 21:08.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 22:06   #11909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If you are looking for a CCD there is one near Vijayamangalam toll plaza which is usually my first stop after leaving Kerala:

https://goo.gl/maps/DGto9Rc9uHG2

It is on your side of the road when going from Coimbatore to Salem. I think it arrives soon after the 6 lane road converges to 4 (look for "Toll Road Ends/Toll Road Begins" boards; the CCD is a couple of kms beyond).

Edit: Measured using Google Maps; it comes after 4.2 km from the point where 6-lane road ends.
Thanks Binand. This is perfect for me. Google maps says 2 hrs 40 mins from my location. I can plan to leave around 8-8:15 and be there just in time to do my meeting.

Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 18:34   #11910
BHPian

Need suggestions on best route from Thrissur to Calicut for a start around 1:00PM?
Also appreciate if someone can help with hotel suggestions for one day stay in Calicut, cleanliness is the priority.
Thank you in advance.
Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks