Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2018, 16:07   #11836
Lij
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 208
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi,

I am driving down to Kerala (Thrissur) on 22nd from Mumbai. Planning to halt at Tumkur / Attibelle on 22nd night and next day reach Thrissur.

Will there be heavy holiday traffic on 23rd as well from Bangalore? If so what times should I look to start on 23rd so that I can stay clear of the holiday rush?

Worst case - will postponing the trip by a day help, say start my journey from Mumbai on 23rd?

Thanks
Lij is offline  
Old 19th December 2018, 00:31   #11837
BHPian
 
Midas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore, KL10
Posts: 172
Thanked: 159 Times
Default

I'm driving to Kerala this weekend. How is the road condition from Bangalore to Mysore via Kanakpura road? Is the road widening work still going on?
What about the condition of Naadukaani churam?
Midas is offline  
Old 19th December 2018, 07:41   #11838
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 12
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Hi,

I am driving down to Kerala (Thrissur) on 22nd from Mumbai. Planning to halt at Tumkur / Attibelle on 22nd night and next day reach Thrissur.

Will there be heavy holiday traffic on 23rd as well from Bangalore? If so what times should I look to start on 23rd so that I can stay clear of the holiday rush?

Worst case - will postponing the trip by a day help, say start my journey from Mumbai on 23rd?

Thanks
Personally I feel there won't be any holiday traffic from Bangalore on Dec 23rd. The rush would be mainly between Dec 20th evening and Dec 22nd.
Also please note, there is maintenance work on the elevated expressway from Silk board to Electronic City. The traffic is restricted to single lane on a few stretches. So plan accordingly.
Safe Drive and Happy Holidays
kuriancjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 11:58   #11839
Lij
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 208
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuriancjohn View Post
Personally I feel there won't be any holiday traffic from Bangalore on Dec 23rd. The rush would be mainly between Dec 20th evening and Dec 22nd.
Also please note, there is maintenance work on the elevated expressway from Silk board to Electronic City. The traffic is restricted to single lane on a few stretches. So plan accordingly.
Safe Drive and Happy Holidays
Thanks for the update and wishes. I won't be taking the elevated road and would join below it after exiting NICE road. But I guess the maintenance work would add to the traffic below.
Lij is offline  
Old 19th December 2018, 15:01   #11840
BHPian
 
verma_rahul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: KA03/JH05
Posts: 108
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi All! I am travelling to Varkala from Bangalore this weekend (21st Dec). The route suggested by Google is Bangalore-Madurai-Rajapalayam-Thenmala-Anchal-Paripally-Varkala.

Will be travelling on this route for the first time. Is this a decent route or do you guys suggest some other route as well?

Thanks in advance for your help.
verma_rahul is offline  
Old 19th December 2018, 18:39   #11841
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 6,446
Thanked: 7,884 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

For a morning drive (7-8am start) from Palakkad to Trichy (near Chathram bus stand), what's the better route ?
1. Palakkad-Walayar-Malumichampatty-Palladam-Kangayam-Karur-Trichy
(I think this is via the turn off to Palladam at the first exit on L&T bypass when going from Palakkad towards Coimbatore)

2. Palakkad-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Mulanur-Aravakurichi-Karur-Trichy

The above 2 are suggested by gmaps with both being almost same distance but #2 taking 15-20 minutes more, recommended route by gmaps is #1 though

How about #3, a mix and match of #1 & #2 ?
3. Palakkad-Pollachi-Palladam-Kangayam-Karur-Trichy

Last edited by NPV : 19th December 2018 at 18:44.
NPV is offline  
Old 19th December 2018, 19:18   #11842
Distinguished - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,188
Thanked: 8,787 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
There was a newspaper article saying that the Marthandam flyover will be opened for regular traffic on the 19th. Any confirmations on this?

Have a trip planned on the 21st and was wondering if this route via Marthandam would be better.

Else what is the current best route out of Tvm and into TN? Via Pudukadai?
Both flyovers were opened today,
Marthandam flyover:
https://www.facebook.com/Kanyakumari...1731526997279/

Parvathipuram flyover:
https://www.facebook.com/Kanyakumari...6972992759880/
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 10:40   #11843
BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 849
Thanked: 1,313 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Both flyovers were opened today,
Marthandam flyover:
https://www.facebook.com/Kanyakumari...1731526997279/

Parvathipuram flyover:
https://www.facebook.com/Kanyakumari...6972992759880/
Thanks for the info. Was in today's newspaper as well

So i reckon the old NH route is now the best way to cross the border?
deathwalkr is online now  
Old 20th December 2018, 15:22   #11844
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,950
Thanked: 11,016 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
1. Palakkad-Walayar-Malumichampatty-Palladam-Kangayam-Karur-Trichy
(I think this is via the turn off to Palladam at the first exit on L&T bypass when going from Palakkad towards Coimbatore)
If 4-lane is good, then worth taking

Quote:
2. Palakkad-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Mulanur-Aravakurichi-Karur-Trichy
Else this is the next best option.

Quote:
How about #3, a mix and match of #1 & #2 ?
3. Palakkad-Pollachi-Palladam-Kangayam-Karur-Trichy
Option 2 is better than this option in my opinion.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 16:54   #11845
BHPian
 
blorebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 535
Thanked: 159 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For a morning drive (7-8am start) from Palakkad to Trichy (near Chathram bus stand), what's the better route ?
Take option 1 - if you are ok to travel in a heavy traffic with overtaking buses/cars coming straight opp. to you (between Palladam to Karur) on good paved roads, straight roads.

Take option 2 - if you want to drive in sparse traffic on a 2 lane roads except a short distance 4 lane road between Aravakurichy and Karur

In both the options roads are good. Option 1 is NH and Option 2 is state highways. Hope you know the quality difference of these 2

I would not suggest Option 3
blorebuddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 11:38   #11846
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 6,446
Thanked: 7,884 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Anyone traveling out of Bangalore today or tomorrow towards Kerala via Attibele-Hosur, please do post about your experience on the traffic density especially at the tolls Hoping and guessing most people will be traveling today (Friday) and tomorrow ?
NPV is offline  
Old 21st December 2018, 11:58   #11847
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,748
Thanked: 2,841 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Anyone traveling out of Bangalore today or tomorrow towards Kerala via Attibele-Hosur, please do post about your experience on the traffic density especially at the tolls
I'm going today, hoping to start before 3 PM and take Sarjapur-Hosur route (BETL is risky I guess). By when do you need the update? PM me your number for WhatsApp'ed updates :-)
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 13:49   #11848
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,017
Thanked: 12,584 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Anyone traveling out of Bangalore today or tomorrow towards Kerala via Attibele-Hosur, please do post about your experience on the traffic density especially at the tolls Hoping and guessing most people will be traveling today (Friday) and tomorrow ?
I am driving tomorrow to Munnar. Initially planned to start Sunday early morning. But in a position to start tomorrow. So planning to start by 1PM and break at a decent hotel I found near Tiruppur.

Hoping major part of the crowd will leave today and tomorrow morning.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 15:31   #11849
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 802
Thanked: 822 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Anyone traveling out of Bangalore today or tomorrow towards Kerala via Attibele-Hosur, please do post about your experience on the traffic density especially at the tolls Hoping and guessing most people will be traveling today (Friday) and tomorrow ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I'm going today, hoping to start before 3 PM and take Sarjapur-Hosur route (BETL is risky I guess). By when do you need the update? PM me your number for WhatsApp'ed updates :-)
Whomever I met today at office are starting tomorrow morning, so am I and looks like I may not be able to start very early morning.

So in the worst case, to avoid the mayhem, I will take Attibelle-Rayakkotai-Palacode-Dharmapuri route. Haven't taken this route for long time, so any updates on this route? Also to Rayakkotai, which is better route - via Kelamangalam or the other one?
bejoy is online now  
Old 21st December 2018, 20:44   #11850
Senior - BHPian
 
rk_sans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,023
Thanked: 948 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Folks, which is the suggested route from Munnar to Kovalam ?
rk_sans is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks