Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2018, 14:10   #11716
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Radisson Blu hotel (Salem)
What in the world!

That place is like so well lit with the construction of the flyover happening and a main junction besides Radisson Blu and so many vehicles passing by. I mean, it isn't a dark area or a desolate stretch by any means.

I usually pass this area around 10-11 PM. Used to be much later before but ever since I depart Chennai around 5-6 PM, I cross Salem early now.

This is scary! :( I travel alone 9 out of 10 times.
Old 12th October 2018, 16:10   #11717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
What in the world!

That place is like so well lit with the construction of the flyover happening and a main junction besides Radisson Blu and so many vehicles passing by. I mean, it isn't a dark area or a desolate stretch by any means.

I usually pass this area around 10-11 PM. Used to be much later before but ever since I depart Chennai around 5-6 PM, I cross Salem early now.

This is scary! :( I travel alone 9 out of 10 times.
Even I have changed my start time from Bangalore to 5 PM from the usual 10 PM.

But then I cross this stretch on my return around 1 AM on Monday's and it won't be deserted any day.

And as you said it's me alone most of the times.

Cheers!
Old 13th October 2018, 09:02   #11718
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Planning a trip to Mysore from Kochi next week. We have a 3 year old with us and prefer to avoid potholed roads. Google maps is showing kochi - Coimbatore - Sathyamangalam - ChamarajaNagar - Mysore route. Is this the best route?

Thanks.
Old 13th October 2018, 09:32   #11719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoy&Indu View Post
Planning a trip to Mysore from Kochi next week.[...] Google maps is showing kochi - Coimbatore - Sathyamangalam - ChamarajaNagar - Mysore route.
I'm sure Google recommended this in its considerable wisdom, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd take Kochi-Thrissur-Nilambur-Gudalur-Mysore which is shorter. But then again, the Google route runs via NH 544 for a considerable distance which would cut the time required a bit.

The Satyamangalam route has Dimbam ghat which I understand is prone to traffic jams. The Nadugani ghat I think has comparatively wider roads and less hairpin bends (but it is quite curvy and induces travelling sickness in my children).

Not sure of food/rest options along the Satymangalam route once you turn off NH 544; but in the Nilambur route you are never too far from a decent food/restroom stop.

Then there is the impact of the floods. No updates on the Nadugani route since then, actually.

All said and done, with your constraints you might be better off taking the Dimbam route via Satyamangalam.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 11:50   #11720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

Planning a trip to Mysore from Kochi next week. We have a 3 year old with us and prefer to avoid potholed roads. Google maps is showing kochi - Coimbatore - Sathyamangalam - ChamarajaNagar - Mysore route. Is this the best route?

Thanks.
I took the route recommended by Binand but this was exactly an year back. Surprisingly, the ghat section was empty and was a breeze to drive but heard traffic can get really horrible on this stretch. GPS signal on my phone acted strange and had to rely on the in car navigation that routed via Coimbatore. Here are the details:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4287648 (All Roads to Kerala)
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 20:20   #11721
BHPian

How about the roads to Trivandrum from Tirunelveli? Heard that Nagercoil section is bad. Is there a way to avoid Nagercoil?

Thanks!
Old 13th October 2018, 21:48   #11722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How about the roads to Trivandrum from Tirunelveli? Heard that Nagercoil section is bad. Is there a way to avoid Nagercoil?

Thanks!
As per feedbacks in the below thread, the route via Nagercoil is better. When are you planning to take this stretch? I can share some feedback on Monday.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4470574 (Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries)
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 23:35   #11723
BHPian

Thanks for the reply Arun_josie. We are planning to do the Nagercoil stretch on Oct 19. Will wait for your update.
Old 15th October 2018, 11:36   #11724
BHPian

What is the status of Kuthiran Tunnels? Immediately after the flood, one of the tunnels towards Kerala had opened for relief / emergency vehicles. Do that tunnel in normal operation now?
Old 15th October 2018, 11:43   #11725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
What is the status of Kuthiran Tunnels? Immediately after the flood, one of the tunnels towards Kerala had opened for relief / emergency vehicles. Do that tunnel in normal operation now?
Hi, Covered in posts 11703 to 11706 of this thread.
Old 15th October 2018, 22:24   #11726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Arun_josie. We are planning to do the Nagercoil stretch on Oct 19. Will wait for your update.

I have posted my update on Nagercoil - Trivandrum route here,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4478984 (Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries)
Old 19th October 2018, 16:46   #11727
BHPian

Update about Kuthiran - The roads are very well patched up and re-tarred in some stretch. Crossed the ghat in less than 5 minutes today afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-1539947795194.jpg  

ontheroad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 20:17   #11728
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Update about Kuthiran - The roads are very well patched up and re-tarred in some stretch. Crossed the ghat in less than 5 minutes today afternoon.
how is vadakkanchery ? the 3-4km stretch in front of diana hotel, beneath the flyover which is perpetually 'under construction' ?
Old 20th October 2018, 22:03   #11729
BHPian

No issues. Can cover in couple of minutes now in most of the time.
Old 20th October 2018, 22:08   #11730
BHPian

Today, had a Coimbatore-Thrissur drive. I saw that new type of speed cameras installed by Kerala MVD have come up in the Wadakanchery-Walayar stretch. Read in press that they calculate the average speed of yours in between the camera and send fine challans. Most of the cameras are installed in between the signal lights. So chances that you would be caught, if you drive above the speed limits, are high. I could count upto 7 numbers between Walayar and Palghat.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-1540053498050.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks