Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2018, 12:27   #11476
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Guys any idea if bus services are affected to Kerala. I had booked a Orange travels to Palakkad for tonight but i am unsure if bus will be cancelled due to the flooding.
Old 10th August 2018, 14:18   #11477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Guys any idea if bus services are affected to Kerala. I had booked a Orange travels to Palakkad for tonight but i am unsure if bus will be cancelled due to the flooding.
Don't think there are major issues in the road till Palakkad (though within Palakkad with 3 dams open, there is water logging apparently). You could have the "due to late arrival of incoming bus" problem. :-)
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 20:34   #11478
BHPian

Hi guys,

Any updates on Thenmala, Aryankavu area? Is that border a safe passage to Kollam/ Trivandrum area? As Idukki ,Alappuzha,Malappuram and Wayanad news are getting maximum attention, I couldn't get a clarity on the status of Thenkasi - Kollam route.
Old 11th August 2018, 05:16   #11479
BHPian

Quite a difficult situation for the residents of Idukki and nearby places. I have a trip to Munnar starting on aug 15, keeping my fingers crossed that the situation improves by then
Old 11th August 2018, 11:12   #11480
Distinguished - BHPian

Kuthiran - Hope this doesn't happen when the tunnel is open.

Source - YouTube
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 11:27   #11481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Any updates on Thenmala, Aryankavu area? Is that border a safe passage to Kollam/ Trivandrum area? As Idukki ,Alappuzha,Malappuram and Wayanad news are getting maximum attention, I couldn't get a clarity on the status of Thenkasi - Kollam route.
It should be safe to travel in this route. Weather in Kollam and Trivandrum is not as bad as other districts of Kerala in the past days. Shutters of Thenmala dam was also opened yesterday but no flooding was reported. But expect heavy rains in Thenmala and Punalur regions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
I have a trip to Munnar starting on aug 15, keeping my fingers crossed that the situation improves by then
That is only 4 more days. Enough damages have been done, that definitely more time is needed to get things in Idukki back to normal.

Last edited by Flyer : 11th August 2018 at 11:31.
Old 11th August 2018, 12:12   #11482
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

For a friend traveling next week, they plan to rent a car from Coimbatore:
Any flood threat on the Coimbatore-Palakkad-Alathur-Guruvayoor route ?
Old 11th August 2018, 12:15   #11483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quite a difficult situation for the residents of Idukki and nearby places. I have a trip to Munnar starting on aug 15, keeping my fingers crossed that the situation improves by then
I suggest you cancel/postpone your trip. More rain is predicted in the coming 2-3 days and this would not be any kind of ideal situation for a vacation there.
Old 11th August 2018, 12:17   #11484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For a friend traveling next week, they plan to rent a car from Coimbatore:
Any flood threat on the Coimbatore-Palakkad-Alathur-Guruvayoor route ?
Currently heavy flooding in Palakkad. Not suitable for travel right now. More rain is expected in coming days as per weather forecast.

Last edited by Flyer : 11th August 2018 at 12:19.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 12:19   #11485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a trip to Munnar starting on aug 15, keeping my fingers crossed that the situation improves by then
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
this would not be any kind of ideal situation for a vacation there.
As a matter of fact Idukki district collector has banned entry of tourists and trucks etc. into the district. I think non-Idukki registered vehicles are being turned away at district entry points.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 18:56   #11486
BHPian

The flood situation is grim in many parts of Kerala. The state govt has banned tourists in most of the tourist places on 11th, 12th August. Also another phase of monsoon is predicted to start on 13th. So can't predict what will be the situation.

Even my car got affected by the floods although luckily water has not gone into the engine. But the floor carpet got drenched and it is stinking right now.

All Roads to Kerala-img_20180811_184046.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img20180809wa0044.jpeg

Any suggestions on how to get the thing dried up especially with no chance of good sunshine in near future.
i20ian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 19:18   #11487
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Any suggestions on how to get the thing dried up especially with no chance of good sunshine in near future.
For mats, let it drip overnight by hanging, then a hair dryer blowing hot air should get most of the trapped moisture away. Forget the mats, make sure the floor of the car is perfectly dry (multiple wipes with dry clothes, hair dryer) , you might have to get professional help to remove the carpets and then dry the surface below.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 19:26   #11488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
For mats, let it drip overnight by hanging, then a hair dryer blowing hot air should get most of the trapped moisture away. Forget the mats, make sure the floor of the car is perfectly dry (multiple wipes with dry clothes, hair dryer) , you might have to get professional help to remove the carpets and then dry the surface below.
Service centre personnel told that the seats will have to be removed and the floor carpet taken out and dried. That seems to be a tedious process. Is there no other go. The carpet is like a sponge and it has absorbed lot of water.
Old 11th August 2018, 19:43   #11489
BHPian

Just got this on the news – Mysore/Ooty NH has been cut off as the Kabini Dam has over flowed. If anyone is using this route, beware.
Old 11th August 2018, 20:58   #11490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Just got this on the news – Mysore/Ooty NH has been cut off as the Kabini Dam has over flowed. If anyone is using this route, beware.
Are you talking of this?

https://starofmysore.com/flash-flood...ghway-blocked/

Then two major road routes through Mysore - Mysore-Calicut and Mysore-Ooty are blocked because this section is common.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks