Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2007, 20:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hi VKochar,
Have a good trip. I have done it many times and the road conditions are simply amazing.
Its just one straight road and very nicely marked with road marks etc.
I would like to add a couple of eating joints myself
In Ambala is "Puran Singh Ka Dhaba" Now there must be atleast 10-15 Puran Singh Dhabhas but if you manage to find the original then the non veg is simply amazing
In Ludhiana my fav Baba Chicken has already been mentioned but you could also try the "Prakash Meat" (thats what my cousins call it) its under the bridge near the famous gurudwara "Dukh Niviran Sahib"
In Amritsar Bravahan Da Dhabha(Purely Veg) the food is very good (always a must visit on my visit to Amritsar)
Also if you get the time you could always visit the Wagah Border (India Pak Border). Its about 40 KM from Amritsar and a daily ceremony is held in the evening and if you are in Amritsar it would be a nice change. Better to get there early as it gets really crowded in the evenings.
Old 26th October 2007, 10:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

@Harjeev - Thanks for the inputs bro !!

Yes, I definetely will visit Wagah Border, Golden Temple.

Thanks for the Dhaba Infos as well . Cheers !!
Old 26th October 2007, 10:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
@Harjeev - Thanks for the inputs bro !!

Yes, I definetely will visit Wagah Border, Golden Temple.

Thanks for the Dhaba Infos as well . Cheers !!
Anytime bro, Maybe you could also visit MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go!. They have detailed info all the road maps (most of the highways) of india. Further if you have a smartphone you could download Googlemaps and MGMaps (search on this forum and you would get numerous hits) On this (Google Earth Mobile/ MGMaps) you can connect using the GPRS on your mobile and get detailed map info highways/ citymaps etc.
Old 26th October 2007, 10:59   #34
BHPian

Well, yesterday I went to Chandigarh and came back in the evening. Left Delhi at 5.30 am.. took me four and half hours to reach Chandigarh.

But, on my way back in the evening, it took me SEVEN hours to cover the same distance (without any stops in between). Thanks to the heavy traffic at Panipat.

So, if you are going in that direction, avoid crossing Panipat during peak hours. The traffic is horrible!
Old 26th October 2007, 12:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Well, yesterday I went to Chandigarh and came back in the evening. Left Delhi at 5.30 am.. took me four and half hours to reach Chandigarh.

But, on my way back in the evening, it took me SEVEN hours to cover the same distance (without any stops in between). Thanks to the heavy traffic at Panipat.

So, if you are going in that direction, avoid crossing Panipat during peak hours. The traffic is horrible!
Is it only because of the flyover work at Panipat? How long more do you think it will take? And is early morning the best time to face Panipat?
Old 26th October 2007, 12:36   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Is it only because of the flyover work at Panipat? How long more do you think it will take? And is early morning the best time to face Panipat?
Yes, its mainly because of the flyover at Panipat. I will advise you to cross Panipat as early as possible in the morning to avoid the traffic. I didn't had any problem in the morning while going from Delhi to Chandigarh.

But, while coming back in the evening, took me around 2-2.5 hours to just cover around 7-8 kms.
Old 26th October 2007, 13:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

Yes I know the flyover at Panipat is horrible - Last time about 6 months back, I remmeber coming back from Manali - Delhi the same day - it took me 2 hours to cross Panipat - Was so damn tired that day !!!

I can avoid Panipat while going as I will leave before 6 in the morning BUT while coming back I will hit Panipat only around afternoon - evening time so it is unavoidable !!!

BUT that's Ok !! we win some, we lose some
Old 29th October 2007, 18:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

original puran singh da dhaba is very near and on the right side of the U turn underbridge. The name is quite famous and the food is HORRIBLE.

best option in the mornings would be sukhdev da dhaba at murthal.

also, for your own safety, please do not drink and drive. There would be a lot of mouth-watering "Godfather" and "Thandi beer" boards all the way.
Old 30th October 2007, 13:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, Murthal is a good option - BTW Panky bhai - I love your Signature !!! Burrraaaa

Advise taken on the drinking Sir
Old 31st October 2007, 21:57   #40
BHPian

One small aspect I would like to add on is that in Jalandhar you will be encountering city like traffic before you finally hit the byepass for Amritsar.
You must take a note that you will be crossing Haveli on your right side and there after the major landmark is Jalandhar Cantonment Railway station on the right. Thereafter, the Military Cantonment on the left(you can't miss this one as there are canons placed on the entry gates). It is after that you have to take a prominent right. The straight goes inside the city.
By all probablities you will not miss it as there are ample markings.
Enjoy your drive. Btw when is the D-Day?
P.S. Somebody was mentioning that there is some repair/construction going on the road ahead of Kartarpur?!
Old 1st November 2007, 20:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Enjoy your drive. Btw when is the D-Day?
Thanks for the Info Sandeep !! D-Day would be anytime after Diwali
Old 1st November 2007, 20:26   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Total distance around 520 kms.

Will take around 6-8 hrs.. depends on the traffic. Ideally, leave Delhi early in the morning to avoid heavy traffic.
Delhi (Rajghat) - Amritsar = 440 km
Old 4th November 2007, 19:54   #43
BHPian

I came to Delhi(Noida) today from Kapurthala...I used the flyover inside Ludhiana city for crossing the city. It saved me a lot of time as, the byepass is also pretty crowded. You may consider using the same .
Old 5th November 2007, 22:48   #44
BHPian

Yes. I suggested him the same also. Just keep going straight. dont bother for any bypasses.
Old 6th November 2007, 23:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys !! Would probably be delaying this trip until later this month. Have loads of work in Delhi after Diwali. Let's see if I get time then will probably leave on monday else after 25th November. BUT nevertheless thanks a tonne for all this valuable information.

Cheers !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks