Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 10:13   #151
J.Ravi

re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Karimangalam (turn left before flyover starts)- Morappur-Theerthamalai-Tiruvannamalai-Tindivanam-Puducherry
Thanks, xotiq. That's a good alternative route to Pondy. I shall definitely try this new route during my next Pondy trip.

Old 2nd July 2012, 19:25   #152
BHPian

I am planing to go to Sathanur Dam. Looks like the NH 77 route (krishnagiri-thiruvannamali-pondy) road is in very bad shape. Please correct me if its changed now.

So I will have to take Krishnagiri-Harur-thiruvannamali-sathanur dam road. Any changes required here or any suggestions?
Old 2nd July 2012, 20:03   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnk77 View Post
So I will have to take Krishnagiri-Harur-thiruvannamali-sathanur dam road. Any changes required here or any suggestions?
The diversion to Sathanur dam comes about before you hit Tiruvannamalai.
The roads are pretty decent
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:20   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The diversion to Sathanur dam comes about before you hit Tiruvannamalai.
The roads are pretty decent
Are you refring to "Bangalore-Karimangalam-Morappur-Harur-Thanipadi-Thiruvannamalai." or "krishnagiri-chennai road-NH77-thiruvannamali"?
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:31   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnk77 View Post
Are you refring to "Bangalore-Karimangalam-Morappur-Harur-Thanipadi-Thiruvannamalai." or "krishnagiri-chennai road-NH77-thiruvannamali"?
I am referring to the Harur/Morappur route only.
Sathur dam is about 15km for Tiruvannamalai on the Harur SH.

This is the same SH which you would take while going to Tiruvannamalai from Harur (if you take this option).
Hence the diversion to Sathanur comes before 15 km you reach Tiruvannamalai.
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:10   #156
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Need help with directions to Polur near Tiruvannamalai.
I guess current condition of NH66 from Krishnagiri to Tiruvannamalai is still bad with unexpected potholes, etc so what would be the best route for Bangalore-Tiruvannamalai-Polur ?
Would it be possible to leave Bangalore early morning and reach Polur by 8.30am ? Or should we travel the previous evening to Tiruvannamalai and check in to a hotel ? Need to attend a wedding there at 9am.

Last edited by NPV : 3rd July 2012 at 07:13.
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:07   #157
Senior - BHPian

NPV better to go via Vellore on your way to Polur rather than go via Tiruvannamalai. Should be about similar distance.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:23   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Would it be possible to leave Bangalore early morning and reach Polur by 8.30am ? Or should we travel the previous evening to Tiruvannamalai and check in to a hotel ? Need to attend a wedding there at 9am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
NPV better to go via Vellore on your way to Polur rather than go via Tiruvannamalai. Should be about similar distance.
Definitely going via Vellore is the best option. Distance vice its the same as Harur. And definitely its not worth going
through these small times in dark (early morning or late night)

But I dont if you can reach by 8:30 if you start at 4AM. Give at least 5 hours. Its about 280-300km.

Which means you have to be at silk board at most 3:30 AM to start your highway drive.

PS: In google however I see a road through Vanyambadi (where you turn for Yelagiri) which directly
takes you to Polur. Looks like it cuts down the distance by 60km. But absolutely no idea about this
road status though. But looking at the maps this seems interesting as it goes through a ghat section!

However no point experimenting this at this hour. But we should definitely look at this option. It can be a
good alternative to Tiruvannamalai/Pondy.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd July 2012 at 09:25.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:42   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Definitely going via Vellore is the best option. Distance vice its the same as Harur. And definitely its not worth going
through these small times in dark (early morning or late night)

But I dont if you can reach by 8:30 if you start at 4AM. Give at least 5 hours. Its about 280-300km.

Which means you have to be at silk board at most 3:30 AM to start your highway drive.

PS: In google however I see a road through Vanyambadi (where you turn for Yelagiri) which directly
takes you to Polur. Looks like it cuts down the distance by 60km. But absolutely no idea about this
road status though. But looking at the maps this seems interesting as it goes through a ghat section!
That is the Alangayam - Jamunamarathur Road. It is used quite regularly on the side between Vaniyambadi & Jamunamarathur, also because of the Kavalur Observatory. But I am not sure if the road is motorable from the other side to Jamunamarathur. Early morning it is better to go via Vellore since passing through the town is not so difficult.

May be Narayan can check the conditions locally at Polur and come back via Jamunamarathur. One word of caution though this road is known for elephant attacks as the resident herd consisting of about 20 elephants have been known to attack people without provocation possibly because of the stress they are undergoing in the extremely fragmented forests out there.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 18:56   #160

We took the following route yesterday (7th September 2012)

http://goo.gl/maps/wg3bJ

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Karimangalam - Harur - Thiruvannamalai.

The roads were great. We left at 3.30 PM and after a 30 minutes break at Krishnagiri, reached Thiruvannamalai at 8.00 PM. The roads were great right through, except for the last 15-20 kms - which has some patch work.

We drove back today (8th Sep) on the same route. Left Thiruvannamalai at 11.30 AM and reached Silk Board at 4.15.

Never went beyond 80-85 kms right through. This is definitely a good alternative to the regular Thiruvannamalai road.

We chose this route via Kambainallur, Morappur, Harur, Theerthamalai, Thanipadi, Tiruvannamalai. After paying toll at Krishnagiri, proceed along NH7 till you see a diversion to Morappur on the left hand side.

You will cross Kambainallur, Morappur till you reach Harur. From Harur do not ask the locals how to go to T V Malai. Instead ask them the route to Theerthamalai and this is the road you will take.

Once you cross Theerthamalai, Thanipadi you will reach T V Malai.

This route is about 40 kms kms more than the present route. But considering the prevalent conditions in NH66, this new route is a hundred times better.
nishru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 21:13   #161
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

planning to drive :
blore-hosur-krishnagiri-karimangalam-morappur-harur-yercaud

any update on the karimangalam -> harur stretch ? have the rains spoilt the roads ?
also, i would like to know if by chance, anyone knows how the harur-salem stretch is (yercaud is a turn off from this stretch)

thank you
Old 11th December 2012, 21:30   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
planning to drive :
blore-hosur-krishnagiri-karimangalam-morappur-harur-yercaud

any update on the karimangalam -> harur stretch ? have the rains spoilt the roads ?
This is a pretty decent stretch. I think hardly any rains in that region (please correct me if I am wrong). Just that you may have to slow down in villages.

Also at Morappur, please ask for route to Harur specifically. If you ask for Tiruvannamalai, there is a fat chance that folks may direct you to Chengam!

Quote:
also, i would like to know if by chance, anyone knows how the harur-salem stretch is (yercaud is a turn off from this stretch)

Harur Salem I am told is mostly rough patches. This is the route most of the state buses take. (Tirupattur-Chengam-Harur-Salem).
But yes, its a very scenic route.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 22:53   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

I will be visiting tirukoilur sometime soon. Am planning to take Bangalore->Krishnagiri->Tiruvanamalai->Tirukoilur . Can some one update on the road conditions. This wil be my first venture into TN by car , so dont want to screw it up by taking bad roads or non-descript ones since i will be with my family!
Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 00:43   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
...This wil be my first venture into TN by car , so dont want to screw it up by taking bad roads or non-descript ones since i will be with my family!
Thanks
I think Ampere would be the right person to answer , but what I heard from my relative who recently went for the aradhane is that the road from T'malai to Tirukoilur is still bad and its worth going via Vellore...

slightly off topic, you should definitely visit Srimushnam which is near Tirukoilur.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 12:13   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I will be visiting tirukoilur sometime soon. Am planning to take Bangalore->Krishnagiri->Tiruvanamalai->Tirukoilur . Can some one update on the road conditions. This wil be my first venture into TN by car , so dont want to screw it up by taking bad roads or non-descript ones since i will be with my family!
Thanks
Travel via vellore and polur -the route is longer but good roads mostly.

The other route is thru Karimangalam Morappur Harur Thaanipadi and Thiruvannamalai. However roads near Thaanippadi arent in great condition and you will have to work thru gears to avoid the potholes. I did this route two weeks back.
polopm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed