Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2014, 21:41   #46
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Kasaragod : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Just did this route -
Bangalore - Hasan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Kukke - Jalsur - Cherkala - Kanhangad(Kasargod). The route is in quite good condition through out except for about 300 odd metres from Jalsur to Kukke where concretization is being done. Please avoid the route suggested by google maps. The Thekil-Allety route is almost non existant and cant be done on a 4 wheeler as of now. The other route Sulia-Panathur is also in very bad condition.
How much time did the whole journey take? Also is this route better than going via Mangalore, i.e. in terms of the road quality.

Thanks.
Old 28th February 2014, 08:15   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
How much time did the whole journey take? Also is this route better than going via Mangalore, i.e. in terms of the road quality.

Thanks.
It took us about 8-9 hours. We took a lot of breaks on the way as we had a kid on board. Going via Mangalore will increase your distance by about 70-80 kms. What you would avoid is driving across a few ghats with very less traffic and good road conditions. I'd stick to this route than go the Mangalore way.
Old 28th February 2014, 08:40   #48
BHPian

Instead of Bangalore - Hasan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Kukke - Jalsur - Cherkala - Kanhangad(Kasargod), why not Uppinagadi - Vittal - Perla - Cherkala ..?? I used to travel this route around 7-8years back and don't know the current state. Any idea..?
Old 28th February 2014, 11:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Going via Mangalore will increase your distance by about 70-80 kms. What you would avoid is driving across a few ghats with very less traffic and good road conditions. I'd stick to this route than go the Mangalore way.
Mangalore - Kasargod stretch is in sorry state of affairs. There are infinite number of diversions due to the 4 laning between Pumpwell and Thalapady. Inside these diversions, the tar is very rough. It performs a stress test on the suspensions. After Thalapady, the two lane roads are fine but the private bus menace starts. Keeping all this in mind, the Gundya - Kukke - Jalsoor route is highly recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
why not Uppinagadi - Vittal - Perla - Cherkala ..?? I used to travel this route around 7-8years back and don't know the current state. Any idea..?
Uppinnangady - Puttur is in bad condition. Puttur - Vitla is good. I don't know the present road conditions beyond Vitla but it was bad around Perla and beyond 1.5 years back.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 28th February 2014 at 11:55.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 13:53   #50
BHPian

Quote:
It took us about 8-9 hours....

Thank you. By the way I decided to go ahead and yesterday took this route based on your earlier comment.

No regrets at all. ��

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by Stratos : 24th June 2014 at 09:18. Reason: Fixed Quote tag
Old 23rd June 2014, 19:03   #51
BHPian

How's the route now? I guess there are still some incomplete roads if I am to take the Shakleshpur - Cherkala route.
Old 23rd June 2014, 22:32   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by razeetg View Post
How's the route now? I guess there are still some incomplete roads if I am to take the Shakleshpur - Cherkala route.
They are now a beauty to drive. Sakleshpur-Shiradi-Gundya-Guthigaru-Jalsoor-Cherkala. Fully relaid and beautiful.

See here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...te-info-8.html
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 23:16   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
They are now a beauty to drive. Sakleshpur-Shiradi-Gundya-Guthigaru-Jalsoor-Cherkala. Fully relaid and beautiful.
That's good to know. Last time there were loads of patches of unfinished road making the overall experience not that great. Guess its time to get the most out of the route and a visit to Kasaragod.
Old 28th November 2014, 16:16   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razeetg View Post
That's good to know. Last time there were loads of patches of unfinished road making the overall experience not that great. Guess its time to get the most out of the route and a visit to Kasaragod.
Not much activity on this thread since June.

We plan to go from Bangalore to Bekal (near Kasargod) in late Dec in our SX4.

There was lots of rain in Karnataka in Oct, and there are reports of road damage in general. How is this route now (via Hassan, Gundya, Kukke Subramanya, Jalsur), which seems to be the recommended route? Anyone done this stretch recently in Nov 2014?

Does Shiradi Ghat come on the way? There are reports of Shiradi Ghat being closed from Dec 15th onwards due to road repairs.
Old 28th November 2014, 16:32   #55
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Not much activity on this thread since June.

We plan to go from Bangalore to Bekal (near Kasargod) in late Dec in our SX4.

There was lots of rain in Karnataka in Oct, and there are reports of road damage in general. How is this route now (via Hassan, Gundya, Kukke Subramanya, Jalsur), which seems to be the recommended route? Anyone done this stretch recently in Nov 2014?

Does Shiradi Ghat come on the way? There are reports of Shiradi Ghat being closed from Dec 15th onwards due to road repairs.
Did this in October 2014. Yes, I went via Shiradi but more than Shiradi, the painful stretch was 5Km or so on either side of sakleshpura, it's like a war zone, moon surface
On the return I took Sullia-Sampaje, that was better. Detailed report on another thread - Here

Either you bite the bullet and take Shiradi route or go via Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Somwarpet-Madikeri-Sampaje-Sullia-Jalsoor-Cherkala-Bekal (I did this on my return journey).

EDIT:Shiradi will not be an option if you're going in late December, it is being planned for closure by December 15 for repair works.

Last edited by NPV : 28th November 2014 at 16:35.
Old 28th November 2014, 16:41   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Did this in October 2014. Yes, I went via Shiradi but more than Shiradi, the painful stretch was 5Km or so on either side of sakleshpura, it's like a war zone, moon surface
Thanks NPV. I'll take a look at your report.

What I find amazing is that in June 2014, Ampere said this route is simply great and freshly tarred. And in early Oct 2014 the road is in shambles. So it lasted just 4 months?!?! ***! I wonder how for many more years road-building will continue to remain rocket science in our country, whereas its a routine back-of-the-palm stuff in the developed world!
Old 28th November 2014, 16:45   #57
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What I find amazing is that in June 2014, Ampere said this route is simply great and freshly tarred. And in early Oct 2014 the road is in shambles. So it lasted just 4 months?!?! ***! I wonder how for many more years road-building will continue to remain rocket science in our country, whereas its a routine back-of-the-palm stuff in the developed world!
Freshly tarred - @ampere must have referred to the Gundya-Kukke-Jalsoor section or beyond.
Shiradi has been deteriorating in the last year or so which is one of the reasons why a dedicated thread exists for the "art" of traveling between Bangalore/Mangalore/Udupi And Shiradi has been having the "refresh" cycles to repair it every 3-5 years and the fun continues!

Last edited by NPV : 28th November 2014 at 16:46.
Old 28th November 2014, 17:38   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Freshly tarred - @ampere must have referred to the Gundya-Kukke-Jalsoor section or beyond.
Shiradi has been deteriorating in the last year or so which is one of the reasons why a dedicated thread exists for the "art" of traveling between Bangalore/Mangalore/Udupi And Shiradi has been having the "refresh" cycles to repair it every 3-5 years and the fun continues!
Aah, that explains the apparent inconsistency. My bad.

I read through your trip report, nice!

For our trip, I am now considering the following:

Onward:
Blore - Neelamangala - Channarayapattana - Holenarasipur - Arakalagud - Shanivarasanthe - Somwarpet - Madikeri - Sullia - Jalsoor - Chengala - Bekal (which is where our 1st stayover is located)

Return:
Bekal - Puthiyavalapu - Malakkallu - Panathur - Kunjila (which is where our 2nd stayover is located)

Return contd.:
Kunjila - Virarajendrapet - Gonikoppal - Hunsur - Elivala - KRS Road shortcut - Srirangapatna - Mysore Road - Blore

There seems to be a road between Shanivarasanthe and Subrahmanya via Kudrasthe per Google Maps. Is that true? Anyone done this stretch recently? How is it? In regards to my above proposed onward route, if this stretch really exists, then I feel we can skip Somwarpet and Madikeri in my proposed onward route and it would save us about 30 kms.
Old 28th November 2014, 18:05   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
dering the following:
Onward:
Blore - Neelamangala - Channarayapattana - Holenarasipur - Arakalagud - Shanivarasanthe - Somwarpet - Madikeri - Sullia - Jalsoor - Chengala - Bekal (which is where our 1st stayover is located)
I would still say stick to Shiradi. The issues being Madekeri has to much of twisties. While in case of Shiradi its packaged bad roads between Sakleshpur to Gundya. Other than that its a shear bliss. Also while going you would be getting down the ghat. As long as there no accidents and roadblocks, Shiradi should be OK.
Old 28th November 2014, 18:18   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There seems to be a road between Shanivarasanthe and Subrahmanya via Kudrasthe per Google Maps. Is that true? Anyone done this stretch recently? How is it? In regards to my above proposed onward route, if this stretch really exists, then I feel we can skip Somwarpet and Madikeri in my proposed onward route and it would save us about 30 kms.
You are referring to the Bisle ghat. Please don't take this route. It can be traversed only in 4x4 vehicles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks