Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2014, 19:15   #61
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Kasaragod : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
You are referring to the Bisle ghat. Please don't take this route. It can be traversed only in 4x4 vehicles.
NPV, ampere, guyfromblr: Thanks! Yes, I too learned from this forum that that might well be the dreaded Bisle ghat road! Ruled out.

So its either:
- Bad roads via Shiradi ghat, or
- Too much winding roads via Holenarasipur - Shanivarasanthe - Madikeri

A third option is to ditch self-drive and take a morning KSRTC Volvo from Blore, arriving Sulliya 2.15pm. Then I guess there must be a local bus transport (or taxi around Rs 1000?) from Sulliya to Bekal (can someone confirm? I tried searching on the net but couldnt find reliable info). Its less than 70 kms. That would get me to Bekal by 4pm max, not too bad for a 2pm hotel checkin time.

I'd have really preferred self-drive, but the self-drive options seem unpalatable to either the car (bad roads) or to my wife+kids (winding) :-(

Or am I over-reacting, guys?
Old 28th November 2014, 19:23   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
So its either:
- Bad roads via Shiradi ghat, or
Ampere, on further thought, the Shiradi option actually wont work. I heard that section is going to be closed from Dec 1st or 15th for road repairs. And they are finalizing some diversions. Generally our temporary diversions are in a terrible condition.
Old 28th November 2014, 20:06   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then I guess there must be a local bus transport (or taxi around Rs 1000?) from Sulliya to Bekal (can someone confirm? I tried searching on the net but couldnt find reliable info). Its less than 70 kms. That would get me to Bekal by 4pm max, not too bad for a 2pm hotel checkin time.
There are lots of local buses from Sullia to Kasargod (private, KSRTC, KeSRTC). Then you have to take another bus from Kasargod to Bekal. According to my knowledge, there is no direct bus from Sullia to Bekal. I'm not sure whether there are buses which will drop you on the fort entrance.

The best option is self-drive. The roads are not that horrible as you think. You will enjoy the drive except for the Shiradi stretch.
Old 28th November 2014, 20:31   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
The best option is self-drive. The roads are not that horrible as you think. You will enjoy the drive except for the Shiradi stretch.
Thanks guyfromblr. I think we'll stick to self-drive then.

I will check the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...udupi-372.html link a day before our travel and then decide whether to take Shiradi ghat route or not (per a post there today by speedsatya, they might not close it at after all and may just patch the potholes, so Shiradi ghat may not be a bad option then). In which case we'll do Blore - Kunigal - Gundya - Subrahmanya - Jalsoor - Bekal as Ampere has suggested.

If Shiradi ghat is bad or is closed, then borrowing tips from NPV's post, we'll do Blore - Neelamangala - Channarayapattana - Holenarasipur - Arakalagud - Shanivarasanthe - Somwarpet - Madikeri - Sullia - Jalsoor - Chengala - Bekal for the onward trip.

Return is fixed:
Bekal - Puthiyavalapu - Malakkallu - Panathur - Kunjila - Virarajendrapet - Gonikoppal - Hunsur - Elivala - KRS Road shortcut - Srirangapatna - Mysore Road - Blore

Return being a weekday, I dont expect Mysore-Blore traffic to be a problem.
Old 28th November 2014, 21:01   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ampere, on further thought, the Shiradi option actually wont work. I heard that section is going to be closed from Dec 1st or 15th for road repairs. And they are finalizing some diversions. Generally our temporary diversions are in a terrible condition.
OK. Was not aware about that. Sorry. In that case you have only one choice left! If you stay close to Mysore road, I would dont take the Hassan road, but start very early say 4/4:30 AM to be in Mysore by 7. You can have a break fast break and Mysore and venture ahead. If you are in North Bangalore, then the Hassan road option makes very good sense.
Old 29th November 2014, 11:54   #66
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would still say stick to Shiradi. The issues being Madekeri has to much of twisties. While in case of Shiradi its packaged bad roads between Sakleshpur to Gundya. Other than that its a shear bliss. Also while going you would be getting down the ghat. As long as there no accidents and roadblocks, Shiradi should be OK.
I think vharihar's trip is planned for late December by which time Shiradi may be closed as per current plan at least.
Old 4th February 2015, 17:24   #67
Team-BHP Support

Bumping the thread up, need to travel to Kasargod from Bangalore. Onwards don't have a choice so would be going to Kannur and proceeding from there. Since we are returning late afternoon, prefer to have a pleasant, fast and direct route back.

Heard taking sullia and then getting to madikeri is a good option with good roads. Any further details?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th February 2015, 17:56   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Bumping the thread up, need to travel to Kasargod from Bangalore. Onwards don't have a choice so would be going to Kannur and proceeding from there. Since we are returning late afternoon, prefer to have a pleasant, fast and direct route back.

Heard taking sullia and then getting to madikeri is a good option with good roads. Any further details?

Thanks in advance.
- Till Madikeri its the same option
- Beyond that you can try : Holenarasipur-CR Patna - Nelamangala option. (Do read up on the new tarred section between Holenarasipur and CR Patna)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 09:15   #69
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You can take Kasargod-Sullia-Sampaje-Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarasanthe-Arkalgud-Holenarasipura

Next you need to get to Channarayapatna and then merge onto NH 48, take that till Nelamangala, then NH 4 Tumkur Road back to Bangalore.

At Holenarasipura, about 2Km section near the Government Polytechnic is raw and devoid of asphalt with just stones. This section can be avoided by going via Agrahara to get to Channrayapatna - details here in this thread.

Last edited by NPV : 5th February 2015 at 09:16.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 09:18   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Bumping the thread up, need to travel to Kasargod from Bangalore. .
Am in a similar predicament. Going to travel to Bekal this weekend and debating between the following routes:

1) Bangalore --> Mandya --> Hunsur --> Madikeri --> Sulia --> Bekal

2) Bangalore --> Kunigal --> Channayarayapatna --> Sulia --> Bekal

Which of the these routes is in better condition? How long will it take realistically speaking?

Thanks

imp
Old 9th February 2015, 10:03   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Which of the these routes is in better condition? How long will it take realistically speaking?
If you can start by 4AM and if you are closer to Mysore road, take it. The traffic builds after 6/6:30 typically. Dont break for food on Mysore road. Drive all the way non-stop to Mysore ORR. It has a good place, viz, Hotel Kalyani. If you are closer to Tumkur road, then Hassan road makes sense.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 10:15   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you can start by 4AM and if you are closer to Mysore road, take it. The traffic builds after 6/6:30 typically. Dont break for food on Mysore road. Drive all the way non-stop to Mysore ORR. It has a good place, viz, Hotel Kalyani. If you are closer to Tumkur road, then Hassan road makes sense.
I live in Koramangala, so both roads are equally accessible to me. I will be driving with my wife so not too sure about the 4 am start. When I suggested it she was more interested in starting at 5:30.

Are both the routes in good condition? I'm guessing that a 4 AM start with comfortable sedate driving will get me into Bekal by Noon at the latest. 10:30 AM if we push it.

Is kalyani better than Kamat Upachar?
Old 9th February 2015, 10:26   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I live in Koramangala, so both roads are equally accessible to me. I will be driving with my wife so not too sure about the 4 am start. When I suggested it she was more interested in starting at 5:30.
If not 4, start by at least 5. Thats because you are easily staring at an about 8 hours of drive. The earlier you start the better.

Quote:
Are both the routes in good condition? I'm guessing that a 4 AM start with comfortable sedate driving will get me into Bekal by Noon at the latest. 10:30 AM if we push it.
Both the roads are good. Since you are in Koramangala, I would still suggest Mysore road and an early start. 10:30 would be difficult because past Madikeri, you are looking at twisty roads.

Kalyani is a fantastic up-market place. Much much better than others on the Mysore road. They open by 7. So a 4:30/5AM should take you there right on time. So that way you have beaten the Mysore road rush too. Also for this long journey it forms a nice logical break-point, instead of breaking right after 60-80 km.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 11:22   #74
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1) Bangalore --> Mandya --> Hunsur --> Madikeri --> Sulia --> Bekal

2) Bangalore --> Kunigal --> Channayarayapatna --> Sulia --> Bekal
Both these routes are same from Madikeri (Channarayapatna-Somwarpet-Madikeri and other one Mysore-Hunsur-Madikeri), as @ampere has suggested decide based on which one is closer, Mysore Road or Tumkur Road.
If starting early, Mysore Road is fine, else if you're delayed, take the Nelamangala-Channrayapatna NH 48 route (Hassan/Mangalore route).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 00:36   #75
Team-BHP Support

Started today at 2.0x pm from Kasargod (Bekal is another 16kms) and was at HSR at 10 pm with 2 breaks. Took Sullia > Madikeri > Kushal Nagar > Mysore > Nice Road > Hosur Road > HSR and it was monday so Mysore road was pretty easy peasy. Sullia to Madikeri has 3 stretches where road is getting made, but very very short stretch which the fully loaded Ritz did without a fuss.

Onwards on saturday i left at 523 am from Indira Nagar, took the city roads and had reached Kannur town by 1245 with break fast and few other short stops.

Nowhere in teither trips i would have breached 100 kmph anywhere.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks