Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2015, 17:32   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore to Kasaragod : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavian View Post
Couples of routes in my mind currently are
1) Bangalore -> Mysore -> Hunsur -> Gonikoppa -> Iritti -> Kanhangad
2) Bangalore -> Mysore -> Hunsir -> Madikeri -> Bhagamandala -> Panathur -> Kanhangad
3) Bangalore -> Sakleshpur -> Sulia -> Panathur -> Kanhangad
Standard route taken is via Bhagamandala/Panathur. Some also take the Iritty option. But primarily its the Panathur road. Though I have not seen any updates for the Panathur road. As regards to night drive option, I am not too sure. I wont prefer myself, but would be good to hear what as to what others have to say about it.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 18:59   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, planning to go to Kanhangad from Bangalore at 3rd week of December. My starting point would be Ecity.

Couples of routes in my mind currently are

1) Bangalore -> Mysore -> Hunsur -> Gonikoppa -> Iritti -> Kanhangad
2) Bangalore -> Mysore -> Hunsir -> Madikeri -> Bhagamandala -> Panathur -> Kanhangad
3) Bangalore -> Sakleshpur -> Sulia -> Panathur -> Kanhangad

I will be leaving from Bangalore around at 2 PM, so not sure whether I can take the 1st route, as I believe there is night travel restriction. If so does it start at 6PM or 9 PM? Is the roads good throughout, I will be travelling with my wife and a 4 year kid, so prefer good roads.

About second road which I would prefer, is it recommended to do a night drive in Bhagamandala Pannathur stretch? Also, how is the road conditions after the recent downpour.

3rd route, which is 30 km's more where I believe the roads are good till Sullia, I need to know the strech between Sullia and Pannathur. I remember long time back taking that route and google map routed me to some unknown roads where my SUV was brushing the bushes and finally had to take a U turn and come back. Not quite sure where I got lost and it was 1 AM and later came to know that it is an elephant infected area. So this route is of my least preference provided the road between Sullia and Pannathur is negotiable in night.
Option 1 will be good if you are starting afternoon. There is no night time travel restrictions. If you are driving after 8-9pm beyond Iritty, its really fun to drive. Roads are very good.

Bhagamandala - Panathur is not advisable during night as there is thick forest in between. The road condition is also not great.

Why not Madikeri - Sullya..? I heard the road is repaired now, any one have update on this..?
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 19:15   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Option 1 will be good if you are starting afternoon. There is no night time travel restrictions. If you are driving after 8-9pm beyond Iritty, its really fun to drive. Roads are very good.

Bhagamandala - Panathur is not advisable during night as there is thick forest in between. The road condition is also not great.

Why not Madikeri - Sullya..? I heard the road is repaired now, any one have update on this..?
I did Kasargodu-Sullia-Madikeri-Bengaluru 4 weeks ago, fantastic roads throughout. Took option1 onwards, good roads there too, but the roads on Sullia route are little bit wider.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 20:42   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How is Sullia-Panathur? If one is to head to Jalsoor-Cherkala, then its a roundabout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
I did Kasargodu-Sullia-Madikeri-Bengaluru 4 weeks ago, fantastic roads throughout. Took option1 onwards, good roads there too, but the roads on Sullia route are little bit wider.
OP wants to go to Kanhagad. In that case either Panathur or Iritty are the only options. Given that Rajesh mentioned, Panathur at night is not good, then only Iritty option remains.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 23:00   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How is Sullia-Panathur? If one is to head to Jalsoor-Cherkala, then its a roundabout.

OP wants to go to Kanhagad. In that case either Panathur or Iritty are the only options. Given that Rajesh mentioned, Panathur at night is not good, then only Iritty option remains.
My bad, I mis-read it as Kasargod. Sorry about it.

About 6 months ago my friend tried Sullia-Panathur in his Alto and continues to thank god even now for able to somehow complete it. I had done this in my Bullet 1year ago and it was a nightmare. The route I'm referring to is via Pushpagiri reserve and best avoided.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 09:57   #96

Thank you ampere, RajeshK , prasad14. I will try out the Iritti option since Rajesh confirmed that there is no night travel restriction.
I will come back and post the latest updates.
Old 29th December 2015, 15:26   #97

Hi all did the following route

- Route : Bangalore -> Mysore -> Hunsur -> Gonikoppa -> Iritti -> Nileshwar
- Vehicle used: XUV500
- Date: 16 Dec 2015
- Route and time details

Starting point Electronic city (2 PM IST). Took NICE road, there was a decent pileup of vehicles at the toll gate. Got to the Mysore road exit at 2:30 PM. Absolutely no traffic in Mysore road (a week day along with afternoon odd hours did the trick), I was at Mysore outer-ring road at 4:30 PM (took just one 5 minutes pee break for my son). Took the exit towards Hunsur road and reached Coorg Cafe at Hunsur at 5:05 PM. Took a long 1 hour break here and left towards Ginikoppal. Followed google maps and took right towards "Malabar hill highway" after Kootupuzha. Till then the tarmac was pretty good. I would say it was amazing. But after taking the right towards Malabar Hill Hwy, I was disappointed as the road conditions really deteriorated. Some places where really bad, but still doable. After reaching Tahiliparamba, the roads were again good.
Finally reached Nileshwar at 10 PM.

Total Time taken: 8 hours.
Breaks: 1 hour + 5 mins + 20 mins
Running hours: Almost: 7:30 hours
Road condition: Excellent.

Mod Note: Please use the forum editor itself instead of editing in an external editor and copying it back

Last edited by ampere : 30th December 2015 at 09:21. Reason: Removed Font Tags; Formatted post
shavian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 07:10   #98
BHPian

Quote:
[FONT=&quot]Hi all did the following route

Bangalore -> Mysore -> Hunsur -> Gonikoppa -> Iritti -> Nileshwar

Followed google maps and took right towards "Malabar hill hwy" after Kootupuzha. Till then the tarmac was pretty good. I would say it was amazing. But after taking the right towards Malabar Hill Hwy, I was disappointed as the road conditions really deterioated. Some places where really bad, but still doable. After reaching Tahiliparamba, the roads were again good.

.[/FONT]

I think you have done a mistake of blindly following gmaps...It will lead you via Payyavoor. Instead of this take the direct route via Irikkoor - Sreekandapuram to Thalipparamba. Roads are excellent in this stretch
Old 6th January 2016, 11:09   #99

Quote:
I think you have done a mistake of blindly following gmaps...It will lead you via Payyavoor. Instead of this take the direct route via Irikkoor - Sreekandapuram to Thalipparamba. Roads are excellent in this stretch

Yes you are right. I should have stayed on Irikkoor route.
Old 4th February 2016, 14:10   #100

Have taken the following route to bekal a month back.

Bangalore - Channarayapattana - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - subramanya - Jalsoor - cherkala - Bekal.

From sakleshpur -> subramanya - Mild Ghat sections
Subramanya -> Jalsoor - Ghat section ( curvy roads )
Jalsoor - cherkala - Ghat section ( curvy roads , road width narrow but driveable ).
Roads were fine all through out. Can be driveable in any car. Started around at 7:00 am from Bangalore ( malleshwaram ) and reached Bekal around 02:40 pm ( 40 mins break in between ) .
Old 7th February 2016, 19:40   #101
Team-BHP Support

With availability of good hotels in Kukke, it may make sense to start real early to be at Kukke for breakfast.

But then I also realise its an easy 5.5/6 hour drive. May not be very practical for families. But with a 3AM start one can be there by 8:30. Its about 300km of which about 220 will be on plains.
Old 7th February 2016, 20:36   #102
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But then I also realise its an easy 5.5/6 hour drive. May not be very practical for families. But with a 3AM start one can be there by 8:30. Its about 300km of which about 220 will be on plains.
Yes, 3am start may be difficult with families. We planned to stop at Sakleshpur but then decided to go all the way to Kukke only to stop near Gundya at the small shacks there and it was a bad decision. Mainly for the child we had to stop there, content with just a plate of idli, vada for her (was quite bad) so stopped for a proper breakfast at Vijay comforts Kukke which was very good.
Sakleshpura has more options like Athithi, Ossoor, etc
Old 19th February 2016, 21:18   #103
P21
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

Any updates on the latest road conditions and approximate travel time for the below routes? Also update on restaurants en route?

1) Jalsoor - Bekal Fort
2) Bekal Fort - Muzhappilangad
3) Muzhappilangad - Kozhikode bypass - Guruvayoor

Regards,
P21
Old 19th February 2016, 22:03   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P21 View Post
Hello BHPians,

Any updates on the latest road conditions and approximate travel time for the below routes? Also update on restaurants en route?

1) Jalsoor - Bekal Fort
2) Bekal Fort - Muzhappilangad
3) Muzhappilangad - Kozhikode bypass - Guruvayoor

Regards,
P21
Bekal Fort-Muzhappilangad roads are in good condition, but expect heavy traffic during daytime. Make sure you take Taliparamba route (NH) and not pazhayangadi to get to Kannur from Payyannur. Google maps usually directs via Pazhayangadi which is a 'Work In Progress' section.

Muzhappilangad-Kozhikode bypass-Guruvayoor: Again in good condition throughout. but many narrow stretches around Mahe and Tellicherry, Heavy to very heavy traffic during daytime, and plenty of crowded towns to cross.

From Kozhikode to Guruvayoor you have three options now:
1. Kozhikode-Kottakkal-Valanchery-Edappal-Kuttipuram-Perumpilav-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayoor
2. Kozhikode-Chelari-Parappanangadi-Tirur-Chamravattom-Ponnani-Chavakkad-Guruvayoor
3. Edappal-Kuttipuram-Thavanoor-Ponnani (New stretch of road opened recently)- Chavakkad-Guruvayoor.

roads are good in all the three routes, but route 1 would be less crowded and wider among the 3.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 19th February 2016 at 22:05.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 00:36   #105
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P21 View Post
1) Jalsoor - Bekal Fort
On this section roads are good and scenic as well. If I remember correctly, from Kukke it took us about 3-3.5 hours to reach Bekal.
Not many options for breaks on this route, just the odd roadside shack/shop. Once you reach about 5km before Bekal there is a town called Chattanchal and that is probably where you can expect some restaurants.
If you're going from Bangalore and you start by 4am you should be able to have breakfast around 8.30 am at Kukke, hotel Vijay comforts is good. And by lunch time you should be able to reach Bekal.
Rest of your queries have been answered by @sandsun.

Last edited by NPV : 20th February 2016 at 00:38.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks