Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2017, 18:33   #481
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to Goa from Thane and want to take the NH17 route because of the beautiful driving experience. Wanted to know if anyone has recently traveled thorough this route and the current road conditions. Planning to start from Thane at 4 AM so that can reach GOA by 4:30 – 5 in the evening.

Please suggest if any detour can be done. I have one day in spare in hand. For information – I drive a Duster AMT
Old 12th July 2018, 22:11   #482

Hi Friends

I am planning to drive to Goa in my XUV 500 , we are two couples and a kid of 8 years,

My wife has nausea problems. But not so severe in monsoons.

Can you suggest us a good route

We can try one route for scenic beauty
And
Come back via another for ride comfort and straight roads.

I don’t want lot of potholes as XUV is not so comfortable on bad roads.
Compared to my future dream suv tata HEXA

We are planning for a minimum 2nights stay at goa.
Also some good stops for pure veg meals in pure veg restaurants.

Also if u know a exceptional overnight stay we can do one extra night in between mumbai and goa.

We are planning to start from Mumbai on 12th Aug and start from Goa on 15th Aug

Thank you and regards

Vishal Pandit
Old 13th July 2018, 00:21   #483
BHPian

You have chosen the most busy dates of the year to travel by road.
One at a time -
Stay - Chiplun The Riverview is a fantastic property right in the middle of Goa and Bombay. Ideally should be done on the return leg of the trip.
That would mean Bom-Pune-Kolhapur-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa route to go to Goa.

Please book all rooms now to avoid hassles later.

Hope this helps and have a good trip.
Old 13th July 2018, 08:56   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdpandit View Post
Hi Friends
We are planning to start from Mumbai on 12th Aug and start from Goa on 15th Aug
Try avoiding coastal highway NH-66 (NH-17), instead take Mumbai- Chennai NH-48 (NH-4) till Kolhapur or Sankeshwar and then take Ajara for hitting Amboli route. Amboli ghat goes to Sawantwadi, take that road for Goa (You will hit NH-66 at Malgaon).

I recommend this route since it is the fastest one with broad straight roads until Tavandi (2+2 and 3+3 lane national highway). So no issues such as nausea or bad roads for XUV. Two lane routes are between Sankeshwar and all the way till Goa but quite scenic.

Please check this route on google
Mumbai - Kolhapur - Sankeshwar - Ajara - Sawantwadi - Malgaon - Banda - Panaji

Recommending same route back since due to heavy rains NH-66 may get blocked at places.
Old 14th August 2018, 18:08   #485
BHPian

Has anyone driven to Goa recently? I'm driving down from Bombay tomorrow, and wanted to check the condition of the roads (going via NH4).

EDIT: Mods, please delete. Answer is in this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...eries-160.html

Last edited by mango_pal : 14th August 2018 at 18:10.
Old 12th October 2018, 15:26   #486
BHPian

Hi everyone. I need some suggestions. Planning a solo drive from Delhi to Goa early November this year.

After Mumbai, I noted there are multiple routes to reach Goa, with NH 17 being one option and the Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum route being the other and most popular option. I read through a lot of posts on the Forum about NH 17 being in bad shape but the scenic beauty being much better as compared to the standard highway through Pune-Kolhapur.

Can you please advise if NH 17 is more scenic that the other route? Also, what is the current status of NH 17 and is it fine to drive on this route? I would personally prefer a scenic drive if possible, but dont want to take NH17 if it has too many rough patches/traffic jams. Also, 1 day drive is preferable, but can stretch it over 2 days if NH17 is in decent state. I will be driving a Safari Dicor. TIA.
Old 12th October 2018, 17:18   #487
BHPian

NH-17 passes thru Western Ghats, curves, turns, inclines the works. It has villages on it, causing some roads to be narrow.
All of these you would have done if you do Delhi-Himalayas.
I would recommend the Pune-Kolhapur route over this.
You may return via this route and halt at Riverview in Chiplun.
Why?
When the destination is Goa, then get there by the fastest route and return with a halt at Chiplun to enjoy the best of both worlds at a genteel pace.

Have a good and safe trip.
Old 23rd December 2018, 12:55   #488
BHPian

Whats latest state on the NH17 route ? i havent driven through this for last 2 days but plan on a drive to ganapatipule on monday 24th morning. I heard a lot of diversions due to 4 laning work. But i love this route against via kolhapur route.

has anyone traveled NH17 recently. All tips would help me plan.
Old 6th June 2019, 23:39   #489
BHPian

Hi folks,

I plan to drive from Thane to Goa by NH66 (which runs parallel to the western ghats).

Would be grateful if someone can update on the current condition of the highway and advise on whether I should take this route or not?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th June 2019, 17:40   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post
Hi folks,

I plan to drive from Thane to Goa by NH66 (which runs parallel to the western ghats).

Would be grateful if someone can update on the current condition of the highway and advise on whether I should take this route or not?

Thanks in advance.
Although I am not aware of the route condition from Thane to Ratnagiri, Some of my friends who had recently travelled to Ratnagiri from Goa had informed that Kudal to Rajapur section where highway expansion work is in progress is in very bad state. Also with the recent downpour the conditions should have further deteriorated.
Best to avoid especially in monsoon.
Old 16th June 2019, 01:21   #491

In my opinion it’s better at anytime to take the Pune route. The ghat drive is much lesser and the road is also better.
Unless you want the scenic route, for which the western ghats are amazing.
For best of both worlds. Go via Pune and take the Amboli Ghat route.
Also if the time is right stop at JRD in Amboli and try the Fish thali for lunch. It used to be great. My last visit was 1.5 years back.
Have a nice trip!
Old 24th June 2019, 08:44   #492
Team-BHP Support

A very useful Twitter handle @sahil11p often posts updates on key projects out of which I closely follow updates on NH66 (erstwhile NH17). Here are some updates that are useful for this thread from 2019:

17Mar'19:

Quote:
Overpass at Bibavne village near Kudal in Sindhudurg is almost ready, only asphalt needed to be laid
Link

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-1st.jpeg

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-2nd.jpeg

Quote:
Humarat phata, the road on right in 4th pic goes towards Kolhapur via Radhanagari
Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-3rd.jpeg

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-4th.jpeg

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-5th.jpeg

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-6t.jpeg

Quote:
A few pics of completed section near Nandgaon. The different shades of green is taking over
Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-7th.jpeg

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-8th.jpeg

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-9th.jpeg

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-10th.jpeg

Every motorhead who has taken the NH17 will swear by the beauty of driving down the Konkan route from Bombay to Goa. Hope the elevation bypasses the chaos of village markets and avoids tunnels under the ghats.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 08:51   #493
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
A very useful Twitter handle @sahil11p often posts updates on key projects out of which I closely follow updates on NH66 (erstwhile NH17). Here are some updates that are useful for this thread from 2019:
Brilliant! So apart from 4L upgrade of NH17 (/NH66), I also see the Kolhapur-Radhanagari-Kankavali stretch being upgraded? Did I read it right?
Old 24th June 2019, 08:53   #494
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Brilliant! So apart from 4L upgrade of NH17 (/NH66), I also see the Kolhapur-Radhanagari-Kankavali stretch being upgraded? Did I read it right?
Not so sure about that but the Kolhapur - Gaganbawda - Talere route has been relaid and is in good condition if your destination is not Goa. Very useful to take that for getting to Malvan, Tarkarli and others.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 09:11   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Every motorhead who has taken the NH17 will swear by the beauty of driving down the Konkan route from Bombay to Goa. Hope the elevation bypasses the chaos of village markets and avoids tunnels under the ghats.
The Sawantwadi Bypass itself when it was completed a bliss to drive. Can't imagine the fun of driving once these crucial bypasses are completed along with 4 laning of the overall stretch!

With so many villages and towns on the entire Panvel - Sawantwadi stretch, the joy of driving was cut short frequently while encountering these towns and villages. The completion of this one will also give little respite to Mumbai - Kolhapur section.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed