Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2008, 12:38   #16
BHPian

Just came back from Bng to uttaranchal trip.

Bng- Delhi thru Mumbai, good for high speed driving. Expect some very bad stretches near Ranebennur.
Blr - Mum we took around 15hrs but we took more than 4 hrs to cover Panvel to ghodbandhar road because of traffic jam & some one misguided us near thane.
Mum - Delhi we took around 27hrs( lost around 2 hrs because of tyre burst near Ahmedabad), roads are exellent apart from some stretches at Gujarath. You will get some 2 lane roads between Vapi & Baroda, lot of truck traffick near surat & before delhi. roads at Rajasthan are excellent for fast driving.
You need to payout around ~Rs1500 as toll all along. finding good restaurents is easy & if you want to freshen up you will get lot of A1 plazas on the way.

While returning we took Nagpur - Hyderabad route. The difference is around 350kms less on this route. difficult to find good restaurents enroute apart from the major cities. negligible toll payout.
Road condition is average to bad thru' out(after Agra) as 4 laning work is going on all the way upto bng. We took 4 hrs more than Mum route to cover this distance. We were driving Bolero & were able to maintain decent speed thru' out those bad stretches. As expected we had couple of punchers which we had to spend couple of hrs driving slowly & change over for tyres( we had a very weak spare tyre).
Also we slowed down considerably between Delhi & Agra so that we can drive thru MP during day time.

It is fast & safe to take Mumbai route.
Old 7th January 2008, 13:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I just did Bombay-Delhi in 19 hours each way, although it can also be done in 17 hours (but now road is being widened between Surat and Baroda).
That's right, with minimal breaks it is very much possible to do this in 17 hrs., provided that Surat-Baroda doesn't hold you up too much.
Old 7th January 2008, 13:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
That's right, with minimal breaks it is very much possible to do this in 17 hrs., provided that Surat-Baroda doesn't hold you up too much.
Depends on the time of day of travel. For isntance, I left Bombay at 3 am and crossed Surat at 630 am, when there was no traffic or jams. But I had to slow down approaching Delhi thanks to the peak evening traffic around 10 pm.

I have been through Surat and Baroda bypaases by day and have got stuck in jams for upto 3 hours in these 2 places and also Ankleshwar town. So you can burn upto 3 hours in jams if you are at the wrong time. Besides, the road widening has slowed down Surat-Baroda drive considerably - however, the road is not in bad condition despite the patchy surface.
Old 7th January 2008, 13:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Just came back from Bng to uttaranchal trip.

Bng- Delhi thru Mumbai, good for high speed driving. Expect some very bad stretches near Ranebennur.
Blr - Mum we took around 15hrs but we took more than 4 hrs to cover Panvel to ghodbandhar road because of traffic jam & some one misguided us near thane.
Mum - Delhi we took around 27hrs( lost around 2 hrs because of tyre burst near Ahmedabad), roads are exellent apart from some stretches at Gujarath. You will get some 2 lane roads between Vapi & Baroda, lot of truck traffick near surat & before delhi. roads at Rajasthan are excellent for fast driving.
You need to payout around ~Rs1500 as toll all along. finding good restaurents is easy & if you want to freshen up you will get lot of A1 plazas on the way.

While returning we took Nagpur - Hyderabad route. The difference is around 350kms less on this route. difficult to find good restaurents enroute apart from the major cities. negligible toll payout.
Road condition is average to bad thru' out(after Agra) as 4 laning work is going on all the way upto bng. We took 4 hrs more than Mum route to cover this distance. We were driving Bolero & were able to maintain decent speed thru' out those bad stretches. As expected we had couple of punchers which we had to spend couple of hrs driving slowly & change over for tyres( we had a very weak spare tyre).
Also we slowed down considerably between Delhi & Agra so that we can drive thru MP during day time.

It is fast & safe to take Mumbai route.
Waiting eagerly to hear about the Uttarakhand part of the trip.
Old 7th January 2008, 15:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

@ Tiger: A detailed trvavelogue along with lots of pics that you have taken would be nice (like hvkumar)
Old 28th June 2013, 10:01   #21
BHPian

Bangalore to Delhi on a whim

Hi all,

Me and my friends are planning a roadtrip from Bangalore to Delhi starting this weekend. We are pretty OK with the driving part. It's just the sightseeing that we are worried about.

We plan to follow the GQ from Gujrat onwards, but plan to be off course in Karnataka and Maharashtra. This is because I wanted to show them Hampi, some Western Ghats, Ajanta-Ellora kind of places (not necessarily all of them). But, I also want to avoid flooded regions in the hinterland! I read in the newspaper yesterday that the Krishna, the Bhadra, the Tungabhadra, all are in spate! And, I am sure a few rivers in Maharashtra would also be dangerously high right now!

This is our "beta" route: http://goo.gl/maps/t6CgS

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 28th June 2013, 10:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Delhi on a whim

Another alternate rout you may consider. It goes by some other tourist attractions like Bhopal, Jhansi, Gwalior and Agra.

http://goo.gl/maps/0nsM2

Note: I have taken Aurangabad as a base for Ajanta-Ellora in the above map.
Old 28th June 2013, 17:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
Hi all,

Me and my friends are planning a roadtrip from Bangalore to Delhi starting this weekend. We are pretty OK with the driving part. It's just the sightseeing that we are worried about.

We plan to follow the GQ from Gujrat onwards, but plan to be off course in Karnataka and Maharashtra. This is because I wanted to show them Hampi, some Western Ghats, Ajanta-Ellora kind of places (not necessarily all of them). But, I also want to avoid flooded regions in the hinterland! I read in the newspaper yesterday that the Krishna, the Bhadra, the Tungabhadra, all are in spate! And, I am sure a few rivers in Maharashtra would also be dangerously high right now!

This is our "beta" route: http://goo.gl/maps/t6CgS

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
You could check this thread for more details http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-route-6.html
Old 28th June 2013, 20:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Another alternate rout you may consider. It goes by some other tourist attractions like Bhopal, Jhansi, Gwalior and Agra.

http://goo.gl/maps/0nsM2

Note: I have taken Aurangabad as a base for Ajanta-Ellora in the above map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You could check this thread for more details http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-route-6.html
Hi Julupani, ranjitp1,

Thanks a lot for the info! I have been advised by too many people NOT to even touch MP right now, given that rains would have sped off with the tar on the surface! The roads are supposedly horrible in many parts, especially if we veer off from the N-S corridor!

Plus, we plan to check out a little bit of Rajasthan as well!

I did check out the threads on tbhp, but would like a little information on the flooding situation and the feasibility of driving from Hampi->Aurangabad NOT via the GQ. Also, what "nice" parts of the Western Ghats would be closer to the GQ route?

Thanks!
Old 18th July 2013, 13:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Delhi and back

A quick check on the Jaipur - Delhi highway since expansion is going on. Is the traffic too bad between Jaipur & Behror, we want to proceed towards Pathankot coming from Udaipur with a night halt at Behror and wanted to bypass NCR by taking the Rewari - Rohtak section after Behror.

Other alternative is to do a night halt at Ratangarh instead of Behror and then proceed on the Bhatinda Super highway towards Jalandhar & Pathankot.

Which one would be better in order to save time.
Old 20th July 2013, 14:09   #26
BHPian

Hi all - last year I did Delhi to Bangalore and got stuck in traffic between Ghodbandhar / Thane (almost 3 hours) . Planing a trip again to Jaipur now. Is there any suggestions how to bypass Mumbai / Thane traffic ? As of now am planning

Day 1 = Blr - Pune
Day 2 = Pune - Ahmd
Day 3 = Ahmd - Jaipur.

It will be a leisurely drive but prefer not to get stuck in traffic in a long drive.
Old 20th July 2013, 14:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Hi all - last year I did Delhi to Bangalore and got stuck in traffic between Ghodbandhar / Thane (almost 3 hours) . Planing a trip again to Jaipur now. Is there any suggestions how to bypass Mumbai / Thane traffic ? As of now am planning

Day 1 = Blr - Pune
Day 2 = Pune - Ahmd
Day 3 = Ahmd - Jaipur.

It will be a leisurely drive but prefer not to get stuck in traffic in a long drive.
Take a look at the NS corridor.
Bangalore-Hyderabad-Nagpur-Jhansi-Agra-Jaipur

You can drive all the way to Agra on the NS-corridor and then on to Jaipur via NH11. Difference in terms of distance is likely to be minimal. Some sections of the NS corridor are not complete, but I would imagine you can make up the time as you will encounter far less traffic over the entire route, compared to the busier Bangalore-Mumbai and Delhi-Mumbai highways.

Another alternate route:

Bangalore-Pune-Nasik-Indore-Lebad-Ratlam-Neemuch-Chittorgarh-Jaipur.

This will probably be the shortest route. Again mostly good roads with comparatively less traffic.
Old 20th July 2013, 16:10   #28
BHPian

Thank you for the suggestions but I am not very confident about this route - Bangalore-Hyderabad-Nagpur-Jhansi-Agra-Jaipur. I have heard that MP roads are not very good. Has anyone done this route recently. Am confident about Blr - Hyd but beyond that?

I can do Bangalore-Pune-Nasik and touch NH8 at Killa Pardi via Peth Road (SH22). Or is there any better route from Nasik to touch NH8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Take a look at the NS corridor.
Bangalore-Hyderabad-Nagpur-Jhansi-Agra-Jaipur

You can drive all the way to Agra on the NS-corridor and then on to Jaipur via NH11. Difference in terms of distance is likely to be minimal. Some sections of the NS corridor are not complete, but I would imagine you can make up the time as you will encounter far less traffic over the entire route, compared to the busier Bangalore-Mumbai and Delhi-Mumbai highways.

Another alternate route:

Bangalore-Pune-Nasik-Indore-Lebad-Ratlam-Neemuch-Chittorgarh-Jaipur.

This will probably be the shortest route. Again mostly good roads with comparatively less traffic.
Old 20th July 2013, 17:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Thank you for the suggestions but I am not very confident about this route - Bangalore-Hyderabad-Nagpur-Jhansi-Agra-Jaipur. I have heard that MP roads are not very good. Has anyone done this route recently. Am confident about Blr - Hyd but beyond that?

I can do Bangalore-Pune-Nasik and touch NH8 at Killa Pardi via Peth Road (SH22). Or is there any better route from Nasik to touch NH8?
The Bangalore to Agra section is full national highway, ie North-South Corridor. So its pretty much the same in every state. All you need to watch out for is whether the road works are complete or not.

Like I said there are a few sections of N-S corridor which are incomplete. But thats probably about a 100kms of roads with diversions overall. Though I have heard about 10-15kms between Gwalior and Jhansi is pretty bad.

As for MP-roads, do check out the website of MPRDC. MP has quite a few great toll highways.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 13:58   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to visit Bangalore from Delhi in the 2nd week of November. From what I have heard/read so far, it seems taking the GQ till Mumbai/Pune and then NH4 from there on would be a good bet.

I am a little concerned about the timings. Conservatively it will take at least 2 stopovers. What I wanted to know is, can Del Mum be attempted in a single day? Not necessarily completing it but maybe stayover someplace near Mumbai and target next day night arrival in Bangalore?

What do you guys suggest?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks