Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2007, 02:47   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Delhi and back

Hi guys,

I am planning to go on a trip to new Delhi in January by road. Actually i wanna see the Auto expo, as well as attend to a few other stuff Hope to catch a whole bunch of TBHPians there!!!

So please help me out with the route. I have no clue as to how to proceed. Dad is coming along, Hes done a Cochin-Jalandar and back, way back in 2005...So I presume that he has some knowledge about the route, but nothing like the real time input provided by you guys!

Regards,
TG.
Old 27th December 2007, 10:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Cochin To Delhi

Hai Torque,

Your fastest ride would be Bangalore, Pune, Ahmedabad, Udaipur, Jaipur to Delhi. I have done the entire stretch, go through the travelogues section, there are many others who have also done these sections.

You have various options depending on the vehicle you drive, whether you will drive at night and how you want to break the journey. If you can give how many days you have and other preferences it will be easy for people to paln something for you.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
=========
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2007, 10:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

or just call our friend hvkumar - where is our highway guru these days? no posts from him of late!
Old 27th December 2007, 10:57   #4
BHPian

Well i have got 3 days, and i want to touch Goa and Mumbai too if possible...mostly daytime drive, the vehicle is a 2007 Mitsubishi Cedia Sports version.
Old 27th December 2007, 11:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Isn't that cutting it too short? In 3 days u want to touch Goa, Mumbai & then to Delhi? Unless you are a F1 driver and have obstacle free road throughout..

Our inhouse highway marauder Kumar did Mumbai - Delhi stretch non-stop in 17 hrs in his Scorpio. That I think is the fastest. One of my known private taxi drivers from Mumbai told me that on a non-stop basis they do this stretch in 18 hrs.

And on a personal note I myself did this stretch in '06 in my Safari in 36 hrs, with an overnight stopover at Udaipur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
Well i have got 3 days, and i want to touch Goa and Mumbai too if possible...mostly daytime drive, the vehicle is a 2007 Mitsubishi Cedia Sports version.

Last edited by gd1418 : 27th December 2007 at 11:15.
Old 27th December 2007, 11:16   #6
BHPian

no no... will touch Goa n Mumbai on the way back, sorry forgot to mention that!
Old 27th December 2007, 11:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

That being said, I think a bulleteer (500 CI) would've done the same in three days from manipal (should be riding into delhi anytime today)

Its doable provided you are UNTOUCHABLE to goa/mumbai in particular.

Bangy-Mumbai is a peaceful day's affair, and I would recommend instead (since you have a cedia and are two drivers) to halt at daman, and next day to Delhi. Splits it into two easy 1200km days and daman is just the chilledout town to unwind with cheap plentiful booze If you're a teetotaller like me, then vapi in gujarat should offer enough chaas!

Addendum: easy = start at 5-6am, stop by 8-9pm.
and its assuming that your early start helps you negotiate the surat mayhem with ease, and that roads are now pretty much repaired so you cruise 100-120 all day

else take 3 days!

Last edited by phamilyman : 27th December 2007 at 11:47.
Old 27th December 2007, 11:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That being said, I think a bulleteer (500 CI) would've done the same in three days from manipal (should be riding into delhi anytime today)

Its doable provided you are UNTOUCHABLE to goa/mumbai in particular.

Bangy-Mumbai is a peaceful day's affair, and I would recommend instead (since you have a cedia and are two drivers) to halt at daman, and next day to Delhi. Splits it into two easy 1200km days and daman is just the chilledout town to unwind with cheap plentiful booze If you're a teetotaller like me, then vapi in gujarat should offer enough chaas!
Yes we both are teetotallers Which is the more scenic route though?
Old 27th December 2007, 11:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

In Manali

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
or just call our friend hvkumar - where is our highway guru these days? no posts from him of late!
He's away inside the Himalayas

Talked to him 3 days back, he drove from Mumbai to Dharmasala, one stretch , met the Dalai Lama, now in Manali, should be back in Mumbai on 1st. Will get a great report from him, hopefully about the snow, mountains and scenes there.

--Ramky
Old 29th December 2007, 17:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
He's away inside the Himalayas

Talked to him 3 days back, he drove from Mumbai to Dharmasala, one stretch , met the Dalai Lama, now in Manali, should be back in Mumbai on 1st. Will get a great report from him, hopefully about the snow, mountains and scenes there.

--Ramky

Ramky and friends,

Yes, am on a small Himalayan drive, mainly to show my son snow - have been to Dalhousie, Amritsar, Bhakra-Nangal Dam, Shimla and Manali. We had lots pof fun skidding around in the Scorpio on the snow at both Dalhousie and beyond Manali. This time, I drove from Bombay to Dalhousie non-stop (Dec 19-20) - 2,100 kms - and got clobbered by South Gujarat traffic, heavy fog on NH1 north of Delhi. Panipat traffic jam was OK both ways (onward, at 1 am, and return today morning at 11 am). Am at Delhi right now (drive down from Manali-Bilaspur today morning), preparing to do some business trips to Chandigarh (tomorrow) and hope to return to Bombay on Jan 1st evening. Will post a detailed report on road conditions next week.
Old 30th December 2007, 12:14   #11
BHPian

i did mum- delhi 2 days ago, mumbai till ahmedabad you will get a lot of traffic till udaipur its breeze, stopover at udaipur
Udaipur jaipur really fantastic roads 4- 6 lanes. jaipur delhi lots of traffic.
Be ready to shell out close to 1 grand on toll. but really an amazing drive
please get in touch with HV Kumar he is the highway guru
Old 30th December 2007, 14:35   #12
BANNED

I would not advise the pilgrims highway (via Nagpur and Allahabad). The road is bad. Take the GQ route, it is well worth the extra kilometres.
Old 30th December 2007, 22:19   #13
BHPian

[:(] Bad new guys, I called of the trip due to a medical emergency to a family member, so i wont be able to take off the amount of time required for this trip. Anyways thanks to all of you so much for all the valuable suggestions...
Old 7th January 2008, 09:50   #14

Guys,

Do keep the suggestions coming since I am planning the same trip, though in March.
Plan is to drive straight from Bangalore to Delhi (2 days).
On the way back, visit Jaipur/Ajmer/Udaipur/Mount Abu.
I would appreciate any updates/suggestions.
Driving a 2007 Scorpio
Old 7th January 2008, 10:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykhm View Post
Guys,

Do keep the suggestions coming since I am planning the same trip, though in March.
Plan is to drive straight from Bangalore to Delhi (2 days).
On the way back, visit Jaipur/Ajmer/Udaipur/Mount Abu.
I would appreciate any updates/suggestions.
Driving a 2007 Scorpio

Sanjay,

Driving Bangalore-Delhi in 2 days will be very exciting and can be done assuming you are a non-stop driver. Even with the bad road sections on NH4, you can do Bangalore-Bombay in 13-14 hours, and instead of stopping in Bombay, you could drive on to Vapi 150 kms north of Bombay for an overnight stay. I normally do Bangalore-Bombay in 12-13 hours.

I just did Bombay-Delhi in 19 hours each way, although it can also be done in 17 hours (but now road is being widened between Surat and Baroda). Keep in mind that this long drive non-stop means stoppages only for refuelling and calls of nature, if you start pulling over for food, you can add at least 2 hours extra. Both times, you should be prepared for long days - starting at 3-4 am, and ending at 10-11 pm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks